When Will It Be Avaible

Tobriand said:
That said, I must say I would also appreciate an update to the official site mentioning what sort of delay is actually likely - though I can understand the reasoning that, if anything is still up in the air, they want to wait a bit. They may not know, for instance whether they can comfortably quote August yet - or whether they may still (just) be able to start rolling them out in July, even. Or whether, if late August is seeming more likely, September is on the cards or not. If they are unsure, then it makes sense to wait, because, as with train timetables and plane timetables, delays are infinitely more vexing if they incrememtn slowly rather than by one big jump.
I agree completely, Tobriand. In fact, if an estimated release date can even be shown, they should give us an entire timetable of when production, preorder, etc. will take place as well. At least then there will be no room for speculation and giant feuds over dates will be avoided in the future.

And remember, guys, voicing your opinion's just fine, but flame wars are not. Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics. Even if you do, you're still retarded. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
CronoTriggerfan said:
Tobriand said:
That said, I must say I would also appreciate an update to the official site mentioning what sort of delay is actually likely - though I can understand the reasoning that, if anything is still up in the air, they want to wait a bit. They may not know, for instance whether they can comfortably quote August yet - or whether they may still (just) be able to start rolling them out in July, even. Or whether, if late August is seeming more likely, September is on the cards or not. If they are unsure, then it makes sense to wait, because, as with train timetables and plane timetables, delays are infinitely more vexing if they incrememtn slowly rather than by one big jump.
I agree completely, Tobriand. In fact, if an estimated release date can even be shown, they should give us an entire timetable of when production, preorder, etc. will take place as well. At least then there will be no room for speculation and giant feuds over dates will be avoided in the future.

And remember, guys, voicing your opinion's just fine, but flame wars are not. Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics. Even if you do, you're still retarded. :lol:

Im sorry. I couldn't stop my commenting that is so true. Oh and haha.

It's "Even if you *win*, you're still..."

Anyway, I just want to have the most accurate understanding of when it will be available, and how polished it will be when it is released.

I'm not a die hard loyalist fanboy that wets his pants at the mere mention of this thing. Just a guy with $300 and some that would like to have one if it does what it says and is available soon. If it isn't, there are a lot of other options that are tempting and more being announced every day. I don't want to sit and wait all summer for this to be released if it is already known by the devs that it won't go golden until fall.

In the same manor, I don't want something with half baked software. There was a time when the challenge of dealing with beta software was appealing, and I understand how some people look forward to that aspect of the pandora as much as anything else. However, a full time job and a 10 month old son means that those days are long gone and I just want something that works for entertainment during travel and doesn't require any other hassle.

-Suntan

Well then, Suntan, you may want to look elsewhere. The Pandora, while an incredibly unique device and very versatile, achieves these things only by being open-source; software, drivers, emulators, programs, etc. will all be user-developed and made by the community. You're not going to get the tailored support you will from a corporate device, at least not early on. Two to three years down the road when the Pandora is stable and brimming with software, it may just be that easy to use device you're talking about. At launch, however, while not "half-baked" by any means, the software might not be up to par with your current standards.

Suntan said:
...I just want something that works for entertainment during travel and doesn't require any other hassle.
Pandora likely isn't for you then.

In fact it seems like we've had an influx of what I'd call "mainstreamers" and non-gamers (i.e. UMPC users, phone users etc.) here, who see the Pandora very differently than the original GP32 crowd. And that's something of a problem IMO, because I think some of them will end up disappointed and just end up complaining (very loudly) as we go thru the usual beta software cycles and dev humps. Pandora isn't a mainstream device, and it never will be. Thank heavens.

This is an old scene, populated by many long-time hobbyists. We are not "fanboys," we simply know and understand how this hobby works, and you (and those like you) have no business on this forum if you have no respect for the scene it represents. Everyone is welcome, but at least be more respectful.

Prophet said:
Pandora isn't a mainstream device, and it never will be. Thank heavens.
Well, it isn't yet. I wouldn't say it never will be - the influx of mainstream interest implies it has the potential to be otherwise. It probably never will be, and it certainly won't be if it requires as much tinkering as the GP32 (those of you who missed the days of the Freelauncher: count yourselves lucky).

We haven't even seen the software yet - for all we know, it might be polished enough to make any tinkering that's required within the scope of what mainstreamers are comfortable with, at least for the major programs (homebrew, office apps, media players, etc.) if not for emulators (we'll see how it's managed). True, it probably won't be, but given that ease of use was part of the vision of Pandora early on, I'd be surprised if it has fallen by the wayside. It's just we're all so experienced with having to tinker that we assume we'll have to again, in an inference that is (probably) unjustified!

Prophet said:
In fact it seems like we've had an influx of what I'd call "mainstreamers" and non-gamers (i.e. UMPC users, phone users etc.) here, who see the Pandora very differently than the original GP32 crowd. And that's something of a problem IMO, because I think some of them will end up disappointed and just end up complaining (very loudly) as we go thru the usual beta software cycles and dev humps. Pandora isn't a mainstream device, and it never will be. Thank heavens.

This is an old scene, populated by many long-time hobbyists. We are not "fanboys," we simply know and understand how this hobby works, and you (and those like you) have no business on this forum if you have no respect for the scene it represents. Everyone is welcome, but at least be more respectful.
first of all, how was he disrespectful of the scene?
second, pandora is first a game console, but it has the potential to knock the socks off pretty much any umpc out there (depending on how big you consider 'ultra mobile' to be), and i have no doubt it will end up being one of the best media players as well.

Snu said:
first of all, how was he disrespectful of the scene?
"I'm not a die hard loyalist fanboy that wets his pants at the mere mention of this thing. Just a guy with $300 and some that would like to have one if it does what it says and is available soon. If it isn't, there are a lot of other options that are tempting and more being announced every day."

I consider that a rather insulting image.

Personally I'm tired of seeing some of the rants and raves by some people who joined up over the past couple of months. I don't enjoy coming here as much as I did a few months ago when it was still mostly regulars here. And I'll be completely honest and say that I hope some of them will find some mainstream/non-gaming product that catches their eye instead.

Regarding Suntan - he's not so bad at all, and I know that. That particular post of his just rubbed me the wrong way a little. It's not a big deal, and I don't dislike the guy for it, but I did take it as a backhanded insult. There are some far worse offenders in the newbie crowd, but I dare not mention names because I really don't want to dwell on this subject more than I already have in this post.

Tobriand said:
Prophet said:
Pandora isn't a mainstream device, and it never will be. Thank heavens.
Well, it isn't yet. I wouldn't say it never will be -

Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part. ;)

One of the best aspects of the GP32 scene, and many related hobbyist scenes, is the relative quality and consistency of the crowd. And I would hate to see that change too much.

Assuming everybody means well works great towards not being offended.

sindbad said:
Assuming everybody means well works great towards not being offended.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. ;)

Prophet said:
I consider that a rather insulting image.

I'm sorry you took it that way. As it was not my meaning.

That preface was more to distance my statements from the kids that have been writing endless "OOOOhhh I just need to get my mommy to let me get my birthday present 2 months early this is will be awsome OMFG LOL... ...web-acronym, web-acronym, web-acronym." Even though they have little concept of the workings of a system like this.

Further, I've been gaming longer than all of those teens have been alive. I can respect the desire by hardcore members to get this system going, I've been involved with projects like this in the past. I'm just not looking for that with this toy. I've got plenty of other hobbies along these lines to tinker with.

Now I can clearly see the advantages to a system like this, I have already stated that I want one, I don't need people telling me that "it isn't for me". However, it is not completely without peer in the portable electronics sector and some people have timescales that are not as open ended as a kid with 3 more years of highschool left. Specifically, I've got a lot of travel to Europe later in the summer that results in hours herded in a flying tin can followed by evenings of complete boredom in the hotel room with no English TV channels. I'm not going to take the 17" laptop, but my archos 604 doesn't cut it either.

No I do not expect a polished system the likes of an NDS or PSP, however I don't want to spend endless nights searching a webforum to get basic functionality running.

Lest anyone be offended further, I've been involved with a lot of new product development projects and I've seen cocky design groups crash and burn overnight when their design suddenly went tits up after being sent out to customers. Not saying it is the case here, however reassurances from people in a web forum are not the same as a long track record of NPD from an established company. As such, it would be nice to see real information about the timeline and what is being done to insure product quality. I know a lot of fanfare has been placed on the idea that if anything goes wrong, "they will fix it." Do they have financial reserves set aside such that a major recall would not completely bankrupt this little endeavor? Have they done any HALT testing on prototypes? Will this be CE certified for EM susceptibility/radiation? etc. etc.

I have no doubt that me buying one or not buying one will have little impact on this project, but some real information, more than nifty catch phrases on a blog, would be appreciated.

-Suntan

Back