Where Next

emil10001 said:
Also, the new game was just not the same.

The new game was the MOST disappointing sequel I have ever played. I remember bringing it home and my friend turning up just at that moment. I told him he was about to witness possibly the best game ever created and then, after being subjected to almost half hour of intros (a pet peeve of mine in any game - and especially so as the original was such a great 'pick up and play' game), I was subjected to a half-arsed take of the original game followed by a whole host of subgames which had to be completed before progressing... yuk

Anbody wanna buy a secon hand copy of NiGhTS for the Wii, by the way?! :D

What was wrong with the PS2 version?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow how could I forget to mention xbmc thanks gruso, just been on pandorapress.
Have to admit looking forward to pandora panic, and dbz game, and other cant remember name, but I consider them current now :)
The future (yea I know until we get it it's all future), been interesting hearing your thoughts. Typing on virtual keyboard with mouse is nightmare sigh....
Wonder if we've got any map designers about. be nice to have some custom pandora levels.
Was it pond that was being developed as a lobby/networking kinda thing. Be nice to have a community bit like xbox live, high scores, friends etc.

RoboShmup said:
Saturn would also be at the top of the list for me. Yabause is an open source (afaik) Saturn emulator for Linux and they have an extremely slow PSP port, so that might be worth looking into.

Perhaps if there are any daring and eager devs out there, they can try to work out some collaboration with the Yabause team. Just throwing that out there. But I know how painful getting Saturn to work would be, so I'll be content with N64 for quite a while :)

A member of the Yabause team has officially done recompilers for SH2 and 68k (for some reason) for PSP. I would expect it to be much faster than the port that SofiyaCat did a long time ago, but I've yet to hear anyone even successfully using it. Most people don't even know it exists.

For me the only thing next from DC emulation that i want to see in pandora is fast ( at least to P100 MHz ) x86 emulation

Pleng said:
emil10001 said:
Also, the new game was just not the same.

The new game was the MOST disappointing sequel I have ever played. I remember bringing it home and my friend turning up just at that moment. I told him he was about to witness possibly the best game ever created and then, after being subjected to almost half hour of intros (a pet peeve of mine in any game - and especially so as the original was such a great 'pick up and play' game), I was subjected to a half-arsed take of the original game followed by a whole host of subgames which had to be completed before progressing... yuk

Anbody wanna buy a secon hand copy of NiGhTS for the Wii, by the way?! :D

What was wrong with the PS2 version?

I don't remember what was wrong with the PS2 version, probably just that the emulator was slow or something. There were a few things that really irked me about the new nights, first was that the Wii nunchuck analog stick sucks. How can you have an analog that you can't move around in a circular motion? Really Nintendo? Really? So, I picked up a nyko replacement nunchuck and gamepad, which had much better analogs, and continued playing. The next big disappointment was that after anything that you do in game, you get dumped out into the waiting area. I just want to have a cohesive playing experience where I don't need to keep stopping and jumping through hoops just to get to the part where I'm actually doing something with the game. I was initially excited about the two player race, but couldn't play those until I started unlocking stuff.

... Anyway, long story short, Sega Saturn emulation would be great. Although they still haven't gotten it working well on the Wii, and it seems like there is actually some official focus (from the Yabause team) for that. And the Wii is much more powerful than the pandora. But, again, for me I'll be content with it the moment it is in my hands. It is already capable of everything that I was hoping for from it.

I'm skeptical the Pandora will ever reach full speed on my all-time favorite game, Zelda Ocarina of Time, but I'd love that to happen! So thats my pinnacle.

i was already won over by the older generation console emulation (as in, everything before snes) and homebrew games, in terms of gaming. things like n64 are more like bonuses to me. what i'd like to see is, like prometheus, high quality homebrew games, maybe taking full advantage of all that the pandora has to offer as well.

I just wanted PSX, SNES, and Firefox originally so...I'm good. :)
DS would be excellent though; I could carry one less device.

I originally bought mine for PSX. SNES and Genesis/Master System were just a bonus. Now that It can emulate DC and N64, It's a mega bonus and I want it even more. Each month that passes, I get increasingly more excited!

... By the time I get mine, I will have waited about 8 months. I know that's no contest for some others around here.

The pinnacle for me would be... multitrack audio recording, using gig soundfonts with linuxsampler seamlessly to play sheet music, a very optimised dosbox port that can run gta1 / gta2, fast firefox 3 and openoffice, the creation of a unified standard to be implemented on all emulators that enables us to play online against other people spectrum games, amiga games, psx games, n64 games, etc; and also dreaming about an unlikely battery upgrade using nano-technnology to bring us more than 100 hours of juice. 8*)

^^ disappointed kid on christmas alert
edit: shit, thats what I get for being too lazy to quote

joseluisjazz said:
The pinnacle for me would be... multitrack audio recording, using gig soundfonts with linuxsampler seamlessly to play sheet music, a very optimised dosbox port that can run gta1 / gta2, fast firefox 3 and openoffice, the creation of a unified standard to be implemented on all emulators that enables us to play online against other people spectrum games, amiga games, psx games, n64 games, etc; and also dreaming about an unlikely battery upgrade using nano-technnology to bring us more than 100 hours of juice. 8*)
buy a laptop

Well, at this point the pinnacle for me would be actually getting my system (sorry). Until that point, it's all kinda pointless.

Anyway... the progress on N64, Dreamcast and PSP and other things has indeed been amazing. I'd love to see playable emulators be released. Other things that I'd love to see include:
-emulation of 486 x86 PC or 60 MHz Pentium (DOSBox or Qemu + WINE...)
-emulation of Sega Saturn
-emulation of the GP32 (erm... mostly so I can play Blue Angelo again... that is an awesome game)

Esn said:
Well, at this point the pinnacle for me would be actually getting my system (sorry). Until that point, it's all kinda pointless.

Anyway... the progress on N64, Dreamcast and PSP and other things has indeed been amazing. I'd love to see playable emulators be released. Other things that I'd love to see include:
-emulation of the GP32 (erm... mostly so I can play Blue Angelo again... that is an awesome game)

I thought x86 and Saturn were impossible for the Pandora? (Saturn because of messy code)

Na-Noo said:
Now that N64 which was seen to be the pinnacle of emulation on the Pand is looking good, yea not 100% but boy is it looking good so far no matter how much more optimisation is possible.

DC has been made a start on.

PSP being looked into. (JayFoxRox missed reading your updates, I'm going to have to see if you've been updating your blog with anything even if it's not PSP related)

So what's the pinnacle now in your eyes?
The next ID engine source to be released and ported optimised.
Homebrew games.
Productivity software.
Other engines.
Game developer type tools.
DS.
Sheez even a new repository

Guess this is a list that's not only the pinnacle but what you would like to see next maybe?
I'm just really curious.
Emulation wise, we may not see anything more demanding than N64,DC and PSP being emulated and running, that's not the point of this thread.
After doing more research on arm processors and the pandas internals DC full speed emulation seems possible.the Arm processor capability alone is Quite amazing and if you code right for it wonderful things happen not to mention every thing else in Pandora. I could see ps2 emulation in a distant future of course ds emulation shit its got a arm processor and so does the pandora for that matter amazing GBA/DS Simulation could occur just dreaming

PoisonedV said:
joseluisjazz said:
buy a laptop

Well all of this is being worked on so it's in the feasible side. I want the pandora to be my laptop too. The only thing I wouldn't be doing on it would be multimedia editing I would think. It seems like I could get away with using a pandora during business meetings with a fold up keyboard, or I might even be fast enough with thumb typing depending on how the keyboard feels to me. If there's a screen I can plug into I can do that too.

Yeah, only thing I plan to not try to attempt on a Pandora is watermark/edit photos and edit vids. I want it to put everyone's smart phones to shame. I'd still carry a separate phone tho. In my experience, spreading responsibility across devices help them all last longer =P

(Having a Pandora to game with is an excuse for me to catch up on games past. I'm self rationalizing it as using games as tech demos to get people excited about the platform lol)

MrBlais said:
Esn said:

I thought x86 and Saturn were impossible for the Pandora? (Saturn because of messy code)
Well, I know, but Dreamcast and PSP were also supposed to be impossible, right up until the moment when they were shown not to be. As for x86, I think someone mentioned that it might be possible to emulate games that would run on Windows on early Pentium machines. Apparently because it is higher-level, it would be easier to emulate than 486 DOS.

Pinnacle would be if someone got the following to work:
Qemu with P60ish speed, and a driver that manages to get OpenGL calls to work accelerated by the pandora at the same time.
Then put a wrapper on top of OpenGL to translate DirectX and Glide calls.

Either that, or a wine version of the same (running the x86 openGL linux version of neverwinter nights 1, even at bad
framerates would be oooooh!)

This may enable one to run 3D accelerated games in an emulated way at non-horrible 3D performance.

wolfmanz51 said:
After doing more research on arm processors and the pandas internals DC full speed emulation seems possible.the Arm processor capability alone is Quite amazing and if you code right for it wonderful things happen not to mention every thing else in Pandora. I could see ps2 emulation in a distant future of course ds emulation shit its got a arm processor and so does the pandora for that matter amazing GBA/DS Simulation could occur just dreaming

Considering you need a dual core x86 system @ ~3GHz to perform decent PS2 emulation, I seriously doubt that the pandora will have any chance of being able to emulate it. I really think Dreamcast/PSP emulation will be the upper limit of what is possible for this hardware.

This unit would be a complete laptop replacement for me, with the added bonus of having a standardized hardware set so there are emulators and games designed specifically for it like the psp. I think the most impressive kit will be Doom3 as far as showing off the graphical capabilities as it wont need the overhead of dynamic recompilation.

What I will be playing the most though will be all the PS1 games that I missed out on. :D

Back