Where Next

I think emulation wise full speed N64, if at all possible would really push the pandora and be the greatest achievement.

Hirolaser said:
I think emulation wise full speed N64, if at all possible would really push the pandora and be the greatest achievement.

Not to discredit such a thing but I hope there ends up being a greater achievement than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
full speed?
Did you watch any of the videos? It's pretty close. Sound is a little skippy, but I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Near-kun said:
There are some things I expect from Pandora...
* Full OpenOffice Support
* Compatibility with Android Apps
* Playable emulators for Dreamcast and PSP (tho I wish for Saturn and DS too...)
* Ability to run NetBeans (or perhaps even Eclipse, which have full Android Dev support from google...)

One thing that I wished for is the ability to play multiplayer online with other pandora owners...
(perhaps with some kind of chat enabled via keyboard?)

Thought Android was already confirmed working on a Pandora? I'd love to throw 2.0 on it! Pandora would be the most powerful hand held device with Android right?

WizardStan said:
Did you watch any of the videos? It's pretty close.

Yes I did and no it isn't.

It's certainly impressive but it's still some way from being full speed.

The pinnacle for me will be seeing Zelda Ocarina of Time running at a playable full speed (60 fps is nice but not necessary) 30 is very acceptable.
After that how about the texture pack implementations? So we can get the "hi-def" Ocarina of time?
That will be soo awesome :D
Google Voice app would be kinda cool...

richandcreamy said:
Thought Android was already confirmed working on a Pandora? I'd love to throw 2.0 on it! Pandora would be the most powerful hand held device with Android right?

Android has been ported to the Beagleboard which should make it easier to finish the job on Pandora. Last I saw on the Beagleboard port it was missing graphics acceleration support. Also, for porting to the pandora support for WiFi, bluetooth, touchscreen and probably some hardware pieces I'm not thinking of would need to be coded... I know that there are a few people interested in working on this, or have done some work towards this but there is not a working product yet AFAIK.

Pandora would arguably be up to par with new Android 2.0 devices coming out soon such as the Motorola Droid, but not exceeding in sheer processing power IMO.

HackModford said:
The pinnacle for me will be seeing Zelda Ocarina of Time running at a playable full speed (60 fps is nice but not necessary) 30 is very acceptable.
After that how about the texture pack implementations? So we can get the "hi-def" Ocarina of time?

Given that Ocarina of Time runs at 20fps natively I should hope that this should be sufficient.

HackModford said:
The pinnacle for me will be seeing Perfect Dark running at a playable full speed (60 fps is nice but not necessary) 30 is very acceptable.
Fixed :)

Exophase said:
HackModford said:

Given that Ocarina of Time runs at 20fps natively I should hope that this should be sufficient.

Even less for the PAL versions :p 17fps I think.

People have different expectations of 'fullspeed' I think. Some people seem to think Super Mario 64 running at full speed would mean full speed emulation in general. I'd call when we see Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Star Wars: Rouge Squadron and other more demanding games running at full speed the pinnacle of N64 Emulation, as well as no graphic glitches. But that's going to be hard to achieve unless GLES 2.0 shaders are used ;) Is that the current plan? Or sticking with 1.1?

As good as N64 emulation is/will be, the pinnacle would be a decent playable Dreamcast emulation, i mean N64 emulation has been around since 1997 full speed via voodoo graphics cards while the N64 was in the shops, sure its great to have it in your hands, Dreamcast on the other hand hasn't been around that long and too see a vast improvement in the last 6 months builds is trully impressive, to emulate a 128-bit machine thats still have the odd game released for it on a handheld machine IS amazing...

MDave said:
But that's going to be hard to achieve unless GLES 2.0 shaders are used ;) Is that the current plan? Or sticking with 1.1?
Wait, they're not using shaders at the moment? They're wrapping the fixed-function pipeline? I seriously doubt that...

Pleng said:
Yes I did and no it isn't.

It's certainly impressive but it's still some way from being full speed.
Perhaps we have different definitions of "pretty close". I say that 85% is pretty close.

@MDave - Hows ZEQ2Lite coming along?
Personally I think N64 will be playable by most peoples definition. Perfect, well hopefully at some point.
I feel like as soon as I get the pand I'll be spoilt in terms of emulation, with what's already there in general.
Doom 3 is out of our hands until source release.

[edit]
jaycee900 said:
As good as N64 emulation is/will be, the pinnacle would be a decent playable Dreamcast emulation, i mean N64 emulation has been around since 1997 full speed via voodoo graphics cards while the N64 was in the shops, sure its great to have it in your hands, Dreamcast on the other hand hasn't been around that long and too see a vast improvement in the last 6 months builds is trully impressive, to emulate a 128-bit machine thats still have the odd game released for it on a handheld machine IS amazing...

Was with you till I read 128-bit :D

But that's going to be hard to achieve unless GLES 2.0 shaders are used ;) Is that the current plan? Or sticking with 1.1?
It's already purely GLES 2.0 via my wrapper. Perfect Dark & Goldeneye appear to render fine (emulating GLES2 on PC) except for the skybox not updating itself (common problem, there might be some hacks), however Ari64's dynarec doesn't like them at the moment.

TheRain said:
richandcreamy said:

Android has been ported to the Beagleboard which should make it easier to finish the job on Pandora. Last I saw on the Beagleboard port it was missing graphics acceleration support. Also, for porting to the pandora support for WiFi, bluetooth, touchscreen and probably some hardware pieces I'm not thinking of would need to be coded... I know that there are a few people interested in working on this, or have done some work towards this but there is not a working product yet AFAIK.

Pandora would arguably be up to par with new Android 2.0 devices coming out soon such as the Motorola Droid, but not exceeding in sheer processing power IMO.

I wasn't really talking about the Android OS, just the Android Apps... You see, installing the OS, we won't be able to access those .pnd packages or any Pandora-specific apps. BUT, by providing support to Android apps, we could have the best from the 2 worlds: The full library of Android Apps (easily downloadable via Android Market, being some free and other not, though...) and all our beloved emulators, ports and linux app stuff provided for Pandora.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Pleng said:
Mia said:
Pinnacle of software for me would be fullspeed Sega Model 2 emulation. Arcade-perfect portable Sega Rally and Daytona USA would be beyond awesome.

Ahh now there's an idea.

Daytona should hopefully be covered by Dreamcast emulation but Sega Rally is proving a real sticking point. If the PSP version is anything like the X Box 360 then there's no real hope there.

I have no idea about Model 2 emulation really. IS it likely to happen on Pandora? And would it be easier or more difficult than, for example, Saturn emulation? Is there an OS Model 2 emulator out there?

Is Model 2 backwards compatible with Model 1? Would Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter work, for example?
Last time I checked (about 5 years ago), there was no possible way to play Sega Rally (arcade version) on a PC.
Can't remember the reason why nobody had it working; something to do with the fact that most of the games from the model 2 came on CD/DVD, and there was no dump available for working with or something?

Hopefully this has changed because the joysticks on Pandora would make the rallying really really fun; and all the home console versions of the game suck :(

http://nebula.emulatronia.com/index.php

Don't think it's open source though. But it works fine on x86, had a quick go on Sega Rally.

Back