Where To Put A General Emulation Question?

timofonic

GP Mafia
Hello.

I want to make a more general question about the compatibility and accuracy of standalone emulators vs MESS. That is, a megadrive or BBC Micro emulator vs the equivalent MESS driver.

This is because MESS seems an undervalued project by retro community, so I want to be sure about making a comparison between emulators with the help of the community. But this is too much work, I don't have all the hardware so don't know the original behaviour of those games in the original hardware and such.

So I want to ask all people about this in the most viewable people, so discussion can be start before the objective "scientific-like" testing.

There are some systems that are only emulated in MESS, or MESS is the only non-windows or open-source available emulation.

This made me think again about it, and this idea merged:
http://www.di.ens.fr/~mine/mess/index.html.en

GP32X staff and users: What do you think of it?

Regards.

Stick a topic in the "Off topic" section. Not going to get many views here I don't think.

Sorry I can't give any help, never used MESS

Just asking to the GP32X staff about it before doing it. For that I need to investigate a bit, the post would be a lengthy one and don't want to waste my time if the GP32X staff consider it nonsense in some ellaborated way.

A site has been made for exactly this purpose:

http://nonmess.retrogames.com/

Now, I just want to give my opinion on this site, and that is that I find it very biased in MESS's favor. Basically, a lot of platforms that are emulated "well enough" by MESS are listed as having "no equal" in any other emulator (being superior). For some platforms, like PC-Engine and Genesis, this is a total insult as several standalone emulators are better than MESS in pretty much every way, especially going by the criteria that the site gives. Still, for most games you won't notice a difference between MESS and the other emulators, he's just giving technical credit where it isn't due.

Nonetheless, I think this is a useful site for determining what does and doesn't have "good enough" emulation in MESS. Just bear in mind that MESS doesn't have the most user friendly interface.

Back