Where To Send To Get Fixed...

Tex-Hogger

Still Fresh
Well I just got my cradle and was going to try it out so I got my unit out of my bag and to my surprise it would not power up with a fresh set of batts. So I removed the back and out fell the power switch. So I dug out the solder iron and looked into re-soldering the switch to the PC board. Well it looks to me that the switch took the solder pads off the board.

So what are my options? Who can do the repair work at a reasonable cost? Or should I just order a new one and scrap this one?

This is one of my favorite hand held machines I have and feel at a loss with out it.

Tex-Hogger

Well, I read that EvilDragon did some repairs, but he's in Germany ...

You could always return it to the place you ordered it from ..

Either way, you'd have to wait awhile ...

TelcoLou said:
Well, I read that EvilDragon did some repairs, but he's in Germany ...

You could always return it to the place you ordered it from ..

Either way, you'd have to wait awhile ...

Yah but the big problem is that it is way out of warranty. My wife got it for me for Christmas in '05.

Tex-Hogger

Last edited by a moderator:
Just resolder it, should work, if not, scrape off a bit of the green covering on the metal around the soldering point.

Miika,

That is the problem, the switch removed the solder pads off the circuit board, so there is no place for the solder to adhere to. I tired making a cold solder joint on top of the "spot" were the solder pad was and it still would not stick. I also tried cleaning the "spot" by scraping very lightly to get to the first copper level on the board and then tired soldering to it, but with my 15W radio shack iron, I can not get the correct heat, so the solder would flow onto the copper level.

Tex-Hogger

Tex-Hogger said:
Miika,

That is the problem, the switch removed the solder pads off the circuit board, so there is no place for the solder to adhere to. I tired making a cold solder joint on top of the "spot" were the solder pad was and it still would not stick. I also tried cleaning the "spot" by scraping very lightly to get to the first copper level on the board and then tired soldering to it, but with my 15W radio shack iron, I can not get the correct heat, so the solder would flow onto the copper level.

Tex-Hogger
Have you tried a solder pen? Its a conductive ink that dries like solder, some brands are hot solderable too. If you recreate the solder pads with the pen then either resolder the switch with an iron or glue the switch down (for strength) and join the switch legs and circuitboard traces using the pen.

Also, I'd add some hot glue or similar to sides if the switch to improve anchoring strength.

Good luck!

coldfis said:
Tex-Hogger said:
Miika,

Tex-Hogger
Have you tried a solder pen? Its a conductive ink that dries like solder, some brands are hot solderable too. If you recreate the solder pads with the pen then either resolder the switch with an iron or glue the switch down (for strength) and join the switch legs and circuitboard traces using the pen.

Also, I'd add some hot glue or similar to sides if the switch to improve anchoring strength.

Good luck!

Ok I don't want to drag up an old post but I thought everyone would like to know I sent mine off to Evil Dragon and he did a great job in repairing my unit!

So if anyone needs a recommendation on who to send your GP2X off to get repaired Evil Dragon is the one too.

Thanks Evil Dragon.

Tex-Hogger

Yep everyone on this board know that He is the Great EvilDragon :)
I wouldn't hesitate a second if something bad happened to my Gp2X.

;) Thanks guys, glad I could be of help.
But I'm not that great - just a normal user who likes to have fun with the gp2x like everybody else here :D

Back