Which Browser is the BEST on Pandora?? (Benchmarking)

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
You have been waiting for it... here is the ultimate comparison of browsers on Pandora, on Pandoralive !

http://www.pandoralive.info/?p=143

I took a long time to do this article, I hope you will find it useful... especially if you are a newcomer. Since this may deserve to be "sticky" somewhere I have decided to make this a separate topic from the Pandoralive thread. I will leave it up to the moderators.

browserspromo.png

Thanks for the article, currently using jumanji, but I think I will try out Arora and QupZilla :)

Well I guess that answers the question as to whether it's worth the effort of keeping FF working on the Pandora.

Time to find something else to do :)

Well I guess that answers the question as to whether it's worth the effort of keeping FF working on the Pandora.

Time to find something else to do :)
Don't get me wrong, I still think it's great to have Firefox for the Pandora, and my experience on the Rebirth may not be representative of what people experience with the 1Ghz model.

And firefox is still, so far, the best browser in terms of functionality. I still keep it on my Pandora when I need to watch flash videos or use certain extensions. :)

So, please keep updating it :) I hope I am not the only one who thinks so.

I always use Firefox over any of the other broweser available on Pandora, it might be a bit slower but it'll handle most sites brilliantly! it's even better in some cases than trying to access some sites on my Nexus 7, at least you're getting the full desktop version :)

:) U turn in the pipeline.

And I was going to start on Android JB for 1GHz.

Ah well.

Firefox locks up for me frequently, it'll usually comes back if I leave the Pandora (rebirth) for anywhere between 10 seconds and over a minute. That said, I've not really seen anyone else comment, so I figured it's probably something to do with my setup. I've not tried the latest version though.

Firefox locks up for me frequently, it'll usually comes back if I leave the Pandora (rebirth) for anywhere between 10 seconds and over a minute. That said, I've not really seen anyone else comment, so I figured it's probably something to do with my setup. I've not tried the latest version though.
I get the same thing - it seems to be when FF is loading something from SD card. When running FF from the NAND flash, things are a lot smoother.

Interesting, I'll download the latest version when I get home and try running it from NAND. Thanks for the tip

Great article. I normally use Qupzilla (more after 1.40 port), but i still use Firefox every day. 

I did Acid test and i get 100/100, maybe because i disabled java or anything else.

Hmm I never had firefox freeze up on me, I run it off the SD card as I don't like messing with the precious space left on the NAND.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great write up, thank you!

Actually, I don't know why, but most of my browsers are sluggish as hell. For example for Arora, when I launch it, it litterally crawls while showing the welcome page. It is unusable as is. I reflashed my Pandora, deleted the appdata directory, but it still does the same. I have a CC Pandora, so are my issues due to lack of RAM?

I have a Rebirth unit, Arora for me is crawling as well. It's extremely sluggish almost the entire time, I tried installing to two different SD cards and same results.

BabyPanda and Firefox however works fine.

How do I install an app to the NAND? Though Im doubting this would solve it.

For the article: Excellent comparisons! However -- where's Chromium? Am I the only living soul actually using it? I find it to be quite fast and usable, except for having no downloads, flash or windowed mode.

I think you can put them in /usr/pandora/apps

Also, It was mentioned in the article why Chromium wasn't listed.

Actually, I don't know why, but most of my browsers are sluggish as hell. For example for Arora, when I launch it, it litterally crawls while showing the welcome page. It is unusable as is. I reflashed my Pandora, deleted the appdata directory, but it still does the same. I have a CC Pandora, so are my issues due to lack of RAM?
Did you upgrade to newest firmware?  I found that mine does the same thing now since I flashed to 1.54.  Firefox seems fine though.

I have a Rebirth unit, Arora for me is crawling as well. It's extremely sluggish almost the entire time, I tried installing to two different SD cards and same results.

BabyPanda and Firefox however works fine.

How do I install an app to the NAND? Though Im doubting this would solve it.

For the article: Excellent comparisons! However -- where's Chromium? Am I the only living soul actually using it? I find it to be quite fast and usable, except for having no downloads, flash or windowed mode.
Did you disabled the "AdBlock" addon? It's on the "Tools" menu, almost last item "Adblock...", than remove the tick in the dialog box.

If you want to see memory occupation, use the System Info PND, or in a Terminal, type "top" to see process and their CPU and Memory consuption (use 'q' to quit).

Back