Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other/slower/older

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rahulgarg

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
This poll is only for PC gaming enthusiasts who are going to buy a graphics card. So there is no option to say "not buying". Basically if you are not going to buy anything, I request you to not cast a vote.
If you specify "other", please specify in comments what are u buying.

I find that a single 9800 GTX or GTX+ has the most value for the money and it gives you reasonable frames per second for most games. Keep in mind you will need a roomy case and 450+ watts power supply with 4+ molex connectors.

I use my 8800GTS (640MB) more for Compiz than anything else, but I find myself hitting performance bottlenecks in the GPU thanks to using way too much video memory and mipmapping everything. The GTX280 wil 1GB of RAM seems the way to go, seeing as I get the bonus of OpenGL 2.1 support along with over double the "stream processors" for crunching effects. I don't really care about DirectX support, either, so the 10.1 in the Radeons just isn't attractive given nVIDIA's performance record vs ATI / AMD in the OpenGL arena.

sehs33 said:
I find that a single 9800 GTX or GTX+ has the most value for the money and it gives you reasonable frames per second for most games. Keep in mind you will need a roomy case and 450+ watts power supply with 4+ molex connectors.
I disagree. At least here in Germany, the HD 4850 is 50€ cheaper than the 9800 GTX(+) and is just as powerful! With the standard cooling system, it´s quieter, and being not as big as an Xbox, it will even fit in my case. On the downside, it needs even more juice than the 9800 GTX <_< .

Average-1680-4850.gif

Gerauschpegel-4850.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably shouldn't have voted... Since I'm not planning on buying a new card any time soon. I just upgraded to my ideal card not too long ago, though, so I figured my vote still might count. I bought an 8800 GT. It's perfect for me. It has pretty good performance for the price, and the one I got only takes up one expansion slot, so it was a perfect fit for my tiny InWin Mountain Jade case.

I didn't vote. I also have an 8800GT. I have a Thermalright aftermarket cooler on it, because I was planning on voltmodding it but never got around to it. I'll probably stay with it for another year or so.

In a while I plan to get a 280 or whatever new nvidia card comes out, I got an 8800GTS a while back. I don't really need the upgrade but I'm sure I'll find a way of using it.

Well, I've just bought an 8800GT. I figured that, whilst it is on the older sideat the mo, it still produces very good benchmark results at the resolutions I'm using - HD just isn't something I'm interested in at the moment, so no need to jump into the next level up.

As and when I do upgrade in, I imagine, around 3 years' time, I'll probably go for either one or two generations beyond the GTX 280, unless something drastic happens in the market before then...

And, of course, hope that in order to do so, I won't have to upgrade beyond PCIE16x...

Fishbong said:
I disagree. At least here in Germany, the HD 4850 is 50€ cheaper than the 9800 GTX(+) and is just as powerful! With the standard cooling system, it´s quieter, and being not as big as an Xbox, it will even fit in my case. On the downside, it needs even more juice than the 9800 GTX <_< .

Agreed. I am buying 4850. Hey fishbong please vote :p

edit : To clarify, dont have enough cash for higher end cards. So choice was b/w 4850 and 9800GTX which are going for same price here. I decided in favor of 4850 which seems to do as well as 9800gtx or sometimes better particularly under AA.

I don´t plan on buying a graphics card anytime soon, my x1900XT still runs everything i need, and since i won´t use Vista for a while, DX10 doesn´t matter either.

im probably going to try for a 4870X2, the quad core gpu, which beats out two of nvidias cards in SLI.
my x1950 has been an awesome companion, so i feel no need to switch.

I also have an 8800GT, Only bought it a few month ago when i upgraded the internals of my tower to a core 2 quad 6600. I never play games on it, Except through emulation. And it plays HD movies great via the dvi to hmdi cable to my Aquos 37" full hdtv (@1920x1080p). I mainly use my dell laptop with xubuntu as a DTR, Which has a 7900GS. So i don`t really see the need to upgrade anywhere in the near future.

Trooper

It's a damn shame but the 8800 GTX, released 18 months ago, can basically run anything released today. I have no problem running Crysis, NWN2, Assassin's Creed, The Witcher etc. So I have to question the point of the 9xxx series and the new GTX 260/280 when PC games are often slightly prettier ports of console games.

There is Crysis Warhead I suppose. Can anyone point to other PC games that would actually justify such a card upgrade?

Rico said:
It's a damn shame but the 8800 GTX, released 18 months ago, can basically run anything released today. I have no problem running Crysis, NWN2, Assassin's Creed, The Witcher etc. So I have to question the point of the 9xxx series and the new GTX 260/280 when PC games are often slightly prettier ports of console games.

There is Crysis Warhead I suppose. Can anyone point to other PC games that would actually justify such a card upgrade?
Well if you have a 8800gtx then the need to upgrade is small unless you are playing at very high resolutions.
Btw crysis warhead may turn out to be less graphics intensive than crysis. (there was an crytek interview on ign i think where it was said that it will run fine on a $500 PC or something).

I had a slower card .. dont even ask what i had :)

i recently bought a 3870 with a passive cooler, that runs every game i play on full settings and its totally silent, i wont be upgrading unless another passively cooled card comes out (a 4870 maybe).

ah, i remember now, the 3870 X2. two 3870s on a single board and only draws 170w at peak.
but ill probably end up going for a normal 3870 for price reasons. T_T

Rico said:
So I have to question the point of the 9xxx series and the new GTX 260/280 when PC games are often slightly prettier ports of console games.
Especially so when, at least according to techconnect, the 9800 gt is basically the same card as an 8800 gt. Same G92 die, and the same clock speeds. I'm not actually sure why they think it'll score worthily of a 98xx series, unless they, like me, think the 88xx series has a lot of life left in it.

The 9600 I can see the point of, though. If you're after a budget card, then it's a pretty good deal, especially if you want to run it using SLI. From what I've heard anyway.

Back