Which File Formats Does Gp2x Video Player Support?

Rom Raptor

Still Fresh
see subject. seems like it only recognizes avi. on gp2x.com it says it supports mpeg 4, but it didn't recognize my mp4 file. i tried by renaming it to mpg, but that didn't helt either.

mp4 is a container format which holds a movie compressed using an mpeg 4 codec (divx, xvid etc are variants of mpeg 4). When a device says it supports mpeg 4 it doesn't always mean it supports mp4 containers.

hmm whats the chance of the .mp4 extention being supported in future ether but gph in firmware updates or 3rd party (homebrew) after support?

Most mp4 files uses the new h.264/AVC codec. This isn't supported by the GP2X by now, but will be in the future IMHO. OGM files will be played when renamed to AVI (somebody should tell this the GPH ppl so they could edit the file-browser...). Btw, anybody tried to compile mplayer using SDL under arm? Or do we need the win32-codecs for more codecs support (me thinks, since they're not open, it would be very hard to port to arm...)

QuasaR posted on Mar 7 2006 at 06:43 AM said:
Most mp4 files uses the new h.264/AVC codec. This isn't supported by the GP2X by now, but will be in the future IMHO. OGM files will be played when renamed to AVI (somebody should tell this the GPH ppl so they could edit the file-browser...). Btw, anybody tried to compile mplayer using SDL under arm? Or do we need the win32-codecs for more codecs support (me thinks, since they're not open, it would be very hard to port to arm...)
mplayer has great codec support built in. The problem with doing a straight port of mplayer is that it won't use the second processor which GPH's mplayer has been modified to do. That allows the higher resolution movies to be played. nickspoon (^) ported FFPlay, but performance isn't very good yet. I believe he is working on using the second processor, but he may be saving most of the work for when GPH releases their mplayer source code.

Last edited by a moderator:
theoddbot posted on Mar 7 2006 at 11:46 PM said:
ITS NOT THE SECOND PROCESSOR THAT HELPS ITS THE VIDEO DECODING HARDWARE THAT WE WILL NEVER GET SOURCE FOR.

ke ?

why?

theoddbot posted on Mar 7 2006 at 05:46 PM said:
ITS NOT THE SECOND PROCESSOR THAT HELPS ITS THE VIDEO DECODING HARDWARE THAT WE WILL NEVER GET SOURCE FOR.

ke ?
Sorry, I forgot about the separate video processor.

Back