Which Os Do You Expect To Use On The Pandora Itself?

Which OS do you intend to live in the most (assuming the options are all workable; if one is cripple

• Angstrom (the smaller and default OS)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ubuntu (the big boy alternative also supported)

• Something else not officially supported (Gentoo, Debian, others)

• Total voters

+1 for Ångström. I'm all for simple as in KISS, not for simple as in GUI, and Ångström seems to be just that. Of course I will try community-distros (of which there should be plenty when I'm able to order a 2nd-batch Pandora :p), but I will most likely stick with the default.

Klaus said:
+1 for Ångström. I'm all for simple as in KISS, not for simple as in GUI, and Ångström seems to be just that. Of course I will try community-distros (of which there should be plenty when I'm able to order a 2nd-batch Pandora :p), but I will most likely stick with the default.
[off topic]
What's the key combo for Å?
[/off topic]

Last edited by a moderator:
Angstrom. Although I do plan to get an SD specifically for trying out new distros, who knows, maybe I'll find one I like better than Angstrom.

Trevor Bradley said:
Hmm, I wonder if multi-boot or grub is an option. (*Does search, doesn't find anything official*) How about switching boot devices (NAND/SD1/SD2/USB) from the bios?
It is. Hence booting Ubuntu from SD, etc. 512 MB isn't going to hold much of a Gentoo install either.

sebt3 said:
Capn_Fish said:
Most likely Gentoo. Angstrom's stable release is lacking so many packages, and it's unstable release has gained many bugs over the past 6 months or so to the point where it's almost unusable. :(

Pandora main OS wont be Angstrom but Angstrom-based... And it have to be this way. because we all want that most apps to be compiled with optimisation for the A8.
That's the whole point of OE. You can just use Angstrom, built for the Pandora, and it will (provided somebody sets up the config file) build everything to be device-optimized.

In short: Angstrom can be custom built for a device, with full optimizations, without having to be only Angstrom-based.

Not being familiar with all of the linux terms and flavors (and not caring) I will just use whatever gives me the best framerate in various emus and isn't a long drawn out boot with alot of fluff and sucks up the CPU and RAM. I will use the menu that is fastest like Gmenu.

If Angstron lets me use Firefox, office, and chat apps, and preferably switch between them, then I'll be using that, simply because it's simple, and it'll probably fit the screen-size better.

But I'll probably throw Ubuntu onto a card just to see it run.

That said I installed Ubuntu onto a 2.4GHz celeron laptop last weekend, and it ran worse than XP, with programs hanging approximately every minute or so, simply because the latop was a 256MB Ram model. So I don't hold out much hope for superb Ubuntu performance on Pandora with less processing power and equal ram.

Tobriand said:
If Angstron lets me use Firefox, office, and chat apps, and preferably switch between them, then I'll be using that, simply because it's simple, and it'll probably fit the screen-size better.

But I'll probably throw Ubuntu onto a card just to see it run.

That said I installed Ubuntu onto a 2.4GHz celeron laptop last weekend, and it ran worse than XP, with programs hanging approximately every minute or so, simply because the latop was a 256MB Ram model. So I don't hold out much hope for superb Ubuntu performance on Pandora with less processing power and equal ram.
Finally, someone gets it

I'll be running Angstrom, simply because that's what the Pandora developers have put the most work into. It'll have the least amount of bugs and be easier to work with.
Like other people, I'm definitely going to try Ubuntu, who could resist something like that, but just as an experiment. Although...with the upcoming port to ARM, who knows?
I certainly don't.

In all likelihood, I'll just run apps from whatever built-in menu the Pandora ends up having (Gmenu it seems). So I voted Angstrom. I would like to try out some office-type apps, so if I have to use another OS for that, then fine... though I'm guessing someone will make them work with Angstrom anyways.

--Zero

Angstrom. The most optimized for the Pandora. Hoping for fast boot time.

XorA said:
As an Angstrom core developer I'll certainly be using Angstrom on my device when it finally gets manufactured and delivered.

You can also expect to see me concentrate on making Angstrom on Pandora work as well as Ubuntu on my eeePC as I want the Pandora to become my default netbook!
sebt3 said:
Pandora main OS wont be Angstrom but Angstrom-based... And it have to be this way. because we all want that most apps to be compiled with optimisation for the A8.
Well luckilly Angstrom supports the A8 quite happilly :)

Nice to have you here :) I hope the Pandora fits you right and you get happy tweaking angstrom for the pandora :)

mali said:
[off topic]
What's the key combo for Å?
[/off topic]
[off topic]
right here, it's ctrl+c and ctrl+v. or just plain "a" :p
[/off topic]

Likely I will just stick to angstrom, though I might decide to try out a different DE with it. I don't see any need for Ubuntu aside from promotion, angstrom can do anything Ubuntu can do when configured properly.

:rolleyes: Linux: The most non-standard standard around! ;)

[Edit]
I hope the dev-team specifies that everything should work with the default OS and anyone who wants to dick around forcing trucking huge distros to work should make damned sure they work with standard Pandora software.
I hope whoever writes software that isn't compatible with the default Pandora OS makes it very clear before I waste time downloading & crashing
[/edit]

Why should I dick around trying to make things work with the default OS when the original author can't be arsed?? :angry: <_<

Angstrom to start with and as it's the official distrib, but probably gentoo as well / later on if the project is working well (a big thanks to all the devs btw ;) )

Mithrildor said:
Angstrom , Ubuntu and Windows CE! Why 1 if you can have all? (maybe Windows CE not...)
Definitely not WinCE. It kind of goes against everything the Pandora was designed around, plus the licensing fees and such.

Why are people wanting Android? I guess I don't see why it would be so nice on a non-phone platform (Please note I haven't followed Android all that much and don't know too much about it, my impression is it's similar to Angstrom/GPE)

Same for Maemo. Angstrom is designed for embedded devices/touchscreens, which gets rid of any benefit Maemo has that I can see. What do others see in it?

These are actual questions, NOT flamebait.

Back