GP2X Which Os Is Best For Coding With

deluded

Just wondering what OS is better for writing gp2x stuff with?

Obviously being linux based, I'm guessing linux is the more natural choice, but I'm also guessing that the majority of folks use XP or Vista.

My main PC is Vista, but I also have a ubuntu based laptop & my server pc is linux - so either is an option for me.

I'm looking at using the gp2x minimal lib or SDL as the base for any code I write.

All the Open2x toolchains are made on Ubuntu - they can be run on Windows but but I'm sure it can't be as simple to install them.

Was thinking more of stuff that will run on the standard gp2x rather than open2x.

What about the other major gp2x devs?? Do they use windows or linux?

I'm kind of tempted on linux as it will improve my understanding of linux, but I don't want to be stuck with silly problems that I could sort out in no time on a windows box.

Your best of with Linux for GP2X coding. Porting is much easier too, as lots of apps use un*x commands in makefiles, which means all the hassle of Cygwin if you using Windows, which is just a complete pain.

Personally, I run Linux under Windows via VMWare. I login, startx, and then open a single X-term to fill the screen. Nothing else required.

Hi,

"but I don't want to be stuck with silly problems that I could sort out in no time on a windows box"

The only silly problem you're being stuck with is your windows box :p :ph34r:

I'm joking :) After 3 years using Linux, I now tend to become a kind of "GPL / Open Source Only / I hate Bill Gates" extremist :)

Bye !

Magic Sam

hehe - the cygwin argument does it for me.. things always seem to go wrong when cygwin is mentioned.

Personally I like both OS's. Windows is much better for my music stuff, and I do windows programmer as a day job. However I quite often use freenx to log into my ubuntu server and use that as well.

This could be an interesting learning curve...

deluded said:
Was thinking more of stuff that will run on the standard gp2x rather than open2x.
I said the Open2x toolchain, not the Open2x firmware ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Open2x one is actually maintained and has all the latest libraries included (the bleeding edge HW SDL binaries are available for example). As a bonus, if you want to target an Open2x firmware only, you can dynamically link and it is guaranteed to work. Of course, if you statically link (which is also required with pretty much every other toolchain too), you can run it on any firmware you wish.

Vista is BAD. Makes it near impossible to configure code::blocks to a working order. Fenix doesn't even work the same. Everything's ass backwards!

ok, so grab the latest open2x stuff and I'll be in gp2x programming heaven...

Is there anyway to test my code on the pc before transfering to my F200? (which doesn't actually exist yet..)

deluded said:
ok, so grab the latest open2x stuff and I'll be in gp2x programming heaven...

Is there anyway to test my code on the pc before transfering to my F200? (which doesn't actually exist yet..)
I haven't used the open2x firmware, but after hearing about it here, I think I'll try it out.

As for testing, I compile the same code for both my Linux box and my GP2X at the same time. My code uses defines based on which one is my target, and that takes care of details such as which buttons map to which actions. Other than that, it's the exact same code, so I can just play the same game on my computer, fix bugs regarding my logic, and then transfer the GP2X executable to my SD card.

I'm joking :) After 3 years using Linux, I now tend to become a kind of "GPL / Open Source Only / I hate Bill Gates" extremist :)

I feel the same way. ;)

That sounds good.

Is there any good example projects or skellington code you can suggest to get me up and running?? I don't know much about writing for linux, so getting stuff to display on a window etc is all new to me.

Which OS .., simple.

Whichever you're most comfortable with :p

Builds fine in MSYS for win32, or BSD (FreeBSD, say) or linux..

jeff

The more options I have in a system, the more time I waste my time customizing it. And this implies the more time I waste, the less time I code.

I personally use a cmd box in Windows (XP) to code since Windows has little to customize, and it's not that bad.

If you stick with devkitgp2x and minimal library, setting up a valid gp2x environment is about 3 min.

Yeah, but cmd prompts in windows look very uncool ;) How often do you see the hacker in some crappy sci-fi film use DOS??

I guess I'll have to give both a try and see what works for me.

deluded said:
Yeah, but cmd prompts in windows look very uncool ;) How often do you see the hacker in some crappy sci-fi film use DOS??

I guess I'll have to give both a try and see what works for me.
I don't see 'em using Linux either. I often see a crap dump of non-sense or out-of-context texts ;)

Yeah, shoud of been:

After 3 years using Windows, I now tend to become a kind of "GPL / Open Source Only / I hate Bill Gates" extremist

:lol: :rolleyes:

From what I can work out, Linux seems to be the prefered system, but it's all perfectly possible on XP (not sure about Vista).

I quite like the idea of trying it on Linux first, since I've not done any major programming on that OS yet. If that fails then I'll go back to Window where I know what I'm doing.

P-J said:
Magic Sam said:
Which makes you least qualified to answer this thread.

Hi,

EDIT : nevermind

Bye !

Magic Sam

Back