Pandora Which Scripting Language For Pandora Game Dev?

Kramy said:
My favourite language is javascript, but browser-scripted games just don't have acceptable performance. ;)
I find that a bit weird. I have javascript with a passion, even with mochikit. Congrats if you can stand it though :D

As for java vs python speed, you can get python pretty close with psyco and much faster (comparable to c) with performance-critical modules written in pyrex.

Last edited by a moderator:
yaustar said:
Can you run Java code without compiling?
I don't know anything about Java, but I can run C without compiling. Look for tcc.

And don't take this too heartily, I am joking ;)

Laurent said:
yaustar said:
I don't know anything about Java, but I can run C without compiling. Look for tcc.

And don't take this too heartily, I am joking ;)

Isn't TCC a Compiler and not a Virtual Machine? ;) (Tiny C Compiler)

Svartalf said:
yaustar said:
Java isn't a scripting language so it's moot.
Technically, any programming language that offers the ability to duct tape together disparate components to make a larger application or to tie a UI onto a console app is a scripting language. With that in mind, C/C++, Icon, Forth, and Java (And a host of others, actually...) all fall under that umbrella. ;)

It's just that they're not commonly used for that, just like Python and PERL, until recently, haven't been used for largish applications.

Ever actually use a compiler and linker?

yaustar said:

Since with tcc I can launch C programs in the very same way as a I launch a bash script, I don't care what it does internally :D

Laurent said:
yaustar said:

Since with tcc I can launch C programs in the very same way as a I launch a bash script, I don't care what it does internally :D
And that would be my point here.

Scripting has NOTHING to do with interpreted/compiled. (In fact, there's several differing PERL to C translators that can be used in CFront fashion with the right work to make standalone binaries. The same goes for AWK and TCL...) Scripting is the duct-taping of disparate apps together into a larger application or the driving of another application (a' la macros...). If the language can do it, it's technically a scripting language, even if nobody thinks of it as one.

I'm currently learning c++ at my school, first semester. Anyone suggest any good books for C++ so I got something to work with over summer?

novaslogic said:
I'm currently learning c++ at my school, first semester. Anyone suggest any good books for C++ so I got something to work with over summer?

Try this free book http://mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html
Note, I have never used it but I was told it's good.

When I need answers to my questions I read the Stroustrup or look with Google, but I have a few years of programming experience.

yaustar said:
No, not officially. There might be some unofficial interpreter, but I don't know of one.

Speaking of Java, it rocks! It doesn't require main() to compile! ;)

Sphinxter said:
Ever stop to think about whom you're throwing insults at?

http://www.earlconsult.com

Unless you've been at doing computer stuff for over 20 years, I'd suggest you take care in your future comments about people and what they might or might not have actually ever used.

A language is a language.

Compiled means that it is built into machine language.
Interpreted means that each syntactic symbol is interpreted in it's meaning at the time that it's read.

There's hybrids:

Forth. Has both modes.
Python. Is compiled into an interpreted virtual machine at the time it's read in.

What makes a "scripting" language one is that it has the ability to DO scripting and that it's used in that manner. Basic, when you get right down to brass tacks is a scripting language. Forth is. C is. C++ is.

It's just that they aren't typically USED in those modalities so most people don't call them that.

Don't feel insulted :) After all it was not obvious who you are before posting a link (even though it was obvious you know a lot).

Svartalf said:
Sphinxter said:
Ever stop to think about whom you're throwing insults at?

http://www.earlconsult.com

Unless you've been at doing computer stuff for over 20 years, I'd suggest you take care in your future comments about people and what they might or might not have actually ever used.

A language is a language.

Compiled means that it is built into machine language.
Interpreted means that each syntactic symbol is interpreted in it's meaning at the time that it's read.

There's hybrids:

Forth. Has both modes.
Python. Is compiled into an interpreted virtual machine at the time it's read in.

What makes a "scripting" language one is that it has the ability to DO scripting and that it's used in that manner. Basic, when you get right down to brass tacks is a scripting language. Forth is. C is. C++ is.

It's just that they aren't typically USED in those modalities so most people don't call them that.

That was not an insult. Given a rather unusual description of what I had up to now heard as considered, 'scripting', 'compiling', and, 'interpreting', I thought it a very valid question and after seeing less than I'd expect from someone so technical and ensconced in development lore and a game developer themselves in such as that beautiful product of your web skills proudly announcing your CTO'ness of a dead link, (is that scripted or interpreted html?), made me wonder a bit more. You can take it as an insult but it's not meant as one.

Laurent said:
novaslogic said:

Try this free book http://mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html
Note, I have never used it but I was told it's good.

When I need answers to my questions I read the Stroustrup or look with Google, but I have a few years of programming experience.

Any suggestions for a rookie still learning basic "if statements"?

trooper said:
I`m not a coder, But is this any good ?.

http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/

EDIT: Also found a nice big list of free online books with quite a bit of C++ material.

http://2020ok.com/3949.htm

Hope it`s of use.

Trooper

Nice, Thank you. Maybe you'll end up using them for yourself too :D , never a bad thing to learn something new especially programming. I've found its fairly useful to create basic programs for your needs.

yaustar said:
novaslogic said:
Nice, Thank you. Maybe you'll end up using them for yourself too :D , never a bad thing to learn something new especially programming. I've found its fairly useful to create basic programs for your needs.
Here: http://parabellumgames.wordpress.com/2007/...-c-programming/
Tons of references inside.

Thank you guys so much, reading about the Pandora, and then watching the documentary revolution OS, the linux story has really inspired me to take the next step and really dig into programming because I want to be able to contribute to the open source community, especially for the Pandora. The development community for the gp2x and the open pandora has just been amazing, with the exception of a few jerks its been quite a positive reading. I hope to develop something that everyone can use.

You know, if you're still learning basic control flow of programs (if, while, for, etc.), you might not want to start off with C++. Instead, you could begin with a simpler interpreted language, like Scheme or BASIC. C and C++ could potentially overwhelm you if you try to race ahead without writing simpler programs first. Plus, interpreted languages give you faster results.

At Berkeley, we start things off with Scheme (ugh, I hate its syntax) for basic program flow and operations, move to Java to teach data structures and algorithms, then finish the fundamentals with C in machine structures. At each level, we slowly peel back the details on computer programs so you can get comfortable at some level and see how it fits into the computer system.

If you're willing to be patient and not rush ahead before trying out the simpler concepts, then you'll probably be fine. But C++ might be a rough way to begin.

Back