Pandora Which Scripting Language For Pandora Game Dev?

I've just downloaded and compiled Lua. I'm fairly convinced it is going to be the scripting engine I use for MMORPGM, since, from what I've heard, it is very easy to integrate your own software/functionality into Lua, or vice-versa.

javaJake said:
I've just downloaded and compiled Lua. I'm fairly convinced it is going to be the scripting engine I use for MMORPGM, since, from what I've heard, it is very easy to integrate your own software/functionality into Lua, or vice-versa.
Yep, indeed. It's used by WoW for instance.

Last edited by a moderator:
proflogic said:
You know, if you're still learning basic control flow of programs (if, while, for, etc.), you might not want to start off with C++. Instead, you could begin with a simpler interpreted language, like Scheme or BASIC. C and C++ could potentially overwhelm you if you try to race ahead without writing simpler mprograms first. Plus, interpreted languages give you faster results.

At Berkeley, we start things off with Scheme (ugh, I hate its syntax) for basic program flow and operations, move to Java to teach data structures and algorithms, then finish the fundamentals with C in machine structures. At each level, we slowly peel back the details on computer programs so you can get comfortable at some level and see how it fits into the computer system.

If you're willing to be patient and not rush ahead before trying out the simpler concepts, then you'll probably be fine. But C++ might be a rough way to begin.
I've done visual basic, c++ comes fairly natural to me. Right now actually working with linking. Its only the first semester though, next semester stuff gets harder but I want to program over summer to keep it fresh in my mind.

Svartalf said:
Ever stop to think about whom you're throwing insults at?

http://www.earlconsult.com

Unless you've been at doing computer stuff for over 20 years, I'd suggest you take care in your future comments about people and what they might or might not have actually ever used.

I find that people who throw around their record of "years of doing blah blah blah" are generally fairly incompetent. Not always true but true for the consultants I've worked with.

Back when I was totally disgusted with perl I went looking. At the time I chose ruby over python because after evaluating both I found the python api was frustratingly more inconsistent. ie: didn't know whether to call var.length() or length(var).

Nowadays I'd be just as happy with some clean c++ api. Sadly the whole api consistency issue has been one of the worst things about c++. No one seems to like how the other person implements their *stuff*. Not to mention the problems with compilers.

Choice doesn't hurt and having both PyGame & RubyGame along with good support for Lua is great. Perhaps some support for 'D' also, although I'd like to see a new 'd lite' language come out that isn't so heavy on the keywords and syntax.

bnolsen said:
Back when I was totally disgusted with perl I went looking. At the time I chose ruby over python because after evaluating both I found the python api was frustratingly more inconsistent. ie: didn't know whether to call var.length() or length(var).

Nowadays I'd be just as happy with some clean c++ api. Sadly the whole api consistency issue has been one of the worst things about c++. No one seems to like how the other person implements their *stuff*. Not to mention the problems with compilers.

Yeah, same here. If I can't read the API, I can't learn it without someone else helping explain stuff. ;) For that reason, I went with Java. I wanted a fast language, and java appears faster than ruby.

Back