Which Torrenting Programs Will Run On Panda?

burzum

Still Fresh
Which programs can i use? Will i be able to use Utorrent????

My computer is so loud i cant sleep with it on, yet i want to be able to download during my off-peak times at night.

Is it also possible for me to set my pandora up to download directly onto an external hard drive?

You won't be able to use utorrent (even if they port it to linux, it'll be x86 only) but there are all kinds of torrent clients for Linux. Transmission is a popular one that a lot of people like, but for the memory available on the pandora, I'd just run rtorrent on it from a terminal (no X), for maximum speed.

µTorrent runs only in Win and Mac only, and is not opensource. So no, it wont run in Pandora.

There are some nice linux bitorrent programs with GUI like Deluge and Transmission, which are on Debian armel repository so I'm sure we'll be able to use them.

Vuze/Azureus is programmed in java so theoretically it could would well run in Pandora, though I suppose it will be too heavy to be worthwhile.

More torrent programs present in debian armel: torrentflux, bittornado, aria2, bittorrent, ctorrent, rtorrent, and some more.

Thanks guys. Do the programs have schedules you can put in? like my current u torrent is dl only in off peak, seed all the time.

burzum said:
Thanks guys. Do the programs have schedules you can put in? like my current u torrent is dl only in off peak, seed all the time.
Deluge has a scheduler plug-in, not sure about transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:
think i might be using the webapp with my home utorrent
doubt i will want to download anything over mobile internet... unless im home on my wifi

Vitel said:
burzum said:
Deluge has a scheduler plug-in, not sure about transmission.

Transmission can limit the upload/download speeds during certain times. Transmission is currently using 8mb of RAM for me so it should be lightweight enough for the Pandora.

@ OP - saw ur username & did a double-take, I'm listening to filosofem RIGHT NOW (for like the third time today, had to put it on in the woods earlier) ;]

fraseyboy said:
Transmission can limit the upload/download speeds during certain times.

Based on the apparent speed of Pandora WiFi with the soldered-on resistor fix... is the Pandora going to NEED limiting at all? I mean - maybe torrented stuff goes slower than I assume, but Pandora doesn't strike me as a method of mass downloading.

EvilDragon said:
Current speed Michael gets while downloading off the net:
200 - 300 KB/s on NORMAL image!
Not the minimal WiFi image :)

That's probably KiloBytes, so not as bad as I'd feared.

Consequence_9 said:
@ OP - saw ur username & did a double-take, I'm listening to filosofem RIGHT NOW (for like the third time today, had to put it on in the woods earlier) ;]
Good to see some black metal fans within the community! Have you seen until the light takes us yet?

Eventually, almost all linux-torrent-apps should be able to run on the Pandora, and that's quite a few. Basically, only memory-usage, installation-size, and a useable GUI limits your options.
I personally prefer ktorrent, but kdelibs and its other deps are a bit large...

burzum said:
Consequence_9 said:
Good to see some black metal fans within the community! Have you seen until the light takes us yet?
naw, I saw the one they made on just Varg tho, which was really good (and tbh he's the only one I really care about). I've yet to hear the new album too, should be gettin it today tho. You into any crust punk (ala Amebix - Arise or Monolith) or black wave (ala Lost Sounds - Black Wave)? The first being a combo of hardcore punk & semi-black metal, the second being a combo of synth-punk & black metal, both really good albums. There's also blackened crust, which is more black & less crust.

Monk said:
That's probably KiloBytes, so not as bad as I'd feared.
Yeah, MWeston confirmed that that's what he gets from his internet connection anyway, so it's possible the fix works much better, just the internet is his bottleneck. Still no word on a local area test; that would clear up the confusion right quick.

Back