Which Usb Wifi Dongle For The First 1000?

Loon

Looking at this post from Craig it looks like the pioneering first 1000 pandorites will be getting an 'emergency' USB dongle with their Pandora.

But which one?

Looks like this one to me from the picture : A nice little dongle

Which is USB2 and Draft N, which is a nice little bonus for those with relevant hardware.

It looks like a good solution to me but anyone got any better suggestions, in terms of which USB Dongle to use, before the team shell out for 1000 of these little beauties?

Another thought is that not all 1000 people will want one, why not send a group email to the first 1000 and ask them to mail back if they don't want a USB dongle.

Perhaps some people have already got one, maybe some have no use for WIFI, who knows? My best guess is that this little caper will cost OP approx £10K for the dongles alone. So if you guys can save yourselves a few quid then go for it.

My personal tack would be to offer the cost of the dongle in shop credit to those who don't want the Dongle, or perhaps a gift voucher for a £7.50 bottle of Liddle Vodka.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that raises another question, did they actually find a USB 2.0 HighSpeed dongle?. That one looks to be FullSpeed "Compatible to USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 interface", and I didn't see the HighSpeed logo anywhere. I can't find a HighSpeed one so far in my searching (Some say high speed, but they are referring to the WiFi, not the USB, so far in my research).

Was that little detail overlooked in this plan?

Digitus' product page
It's a bit difficult to get 150mbs over full-speed :)
But there's another bigger problem: drivers. The drivers for the chip in there (a realtek rtl8192SU) have entered linux's staging-area only in 2.6.33, and it seems that the drivers on digitus' site use the old wireless-stack. So their solution for slow drivers would be a chip with unstable drivers (if they go with that dongle). Sounds like a plan.

Backassward has recommended this one from Iogear on the will production start on 1st April thread : Iogear Hi Speed USB Adapter

$16.95 the best price I've found for the IOGear adapter, and it's white as well :angry:

Hmmm, looks like small USB dongles in Pandora black are in short supply as are any clear indications as to the USB speed of a particular dongle.

This one from edimax appears to tick a few boxes : Edimax Dongle Though it is listed as USB 1 / USB 2 compatible, this means you'll need a hub before it can be used with Pandora right?

The 1000 wifi dongles issue is like the "express shipping inside UK because of post strike/christmas". An interesting topic for discussion, but will probably be totally irrelevant by the time something actually ships.

aq21 said:
The 1000 wifi dongles issue is like the "express shipping inside UK because of post strike/christmas". An interesting topic for discussion, but will probably be totally irrelevant by the time something actually ships.

An excellent point. Although it may be relevant now if the WiFi issue is, in any way, holding up board population.

aq21 said:
... An interesting topic for discussion, but will probably be totally irrelevant by the time something actually ships.

Agreed, if the OP team chooses a suitable dongle, the idea of this thread is to help them make that choice.

I think I'll wait till wifi is fixed. I dont mind to wait, the usb wifi dongle is not acceptable.

If I can help in some way to solve the problem I will do it, but that solution is like add an usb controlpad because the built in stick doesnt work. built in wifi is a key feature

anyway i am in the 3000+, so I hope we could find a fix in that moment

I'm afraid I don't have any dongles to suggest, but I trust that everyone who's looking is making sure that they're not looking at ones which have issues like some units (of a usually Linux-compatible model) using Linux-incompatible chipsets. ;) (I've seen this come up with USB Ethernet devices, and I wouldn't doubt that it comes up with USB WiFi dongles, too.)

I sure hope this gets sorted out before too long, considering I already have a usb 2.0 wifi dongle that works great under kernel 2.6.28 and I'm in the "3000". I'd prefer to let the team save what they can where they can, or maybe go out and buy themselves a beer or two. (Speaking of which, I started brewing a tar-black Russian Imperial Stout this weekend. I expect it to be delicious.)

Lunatic said:
I sure hope this gets sorted out before too long, considering I already have a usb 2.0 wifi dongle that works great under kernel 2.6.28 and I'm in the "3000". I'd prefer to let the team save what they can where they can, or maybe go out and buy themselves a beer or two. (Speaking of which, I started brewing a tar-black Russian Imperial Stout this weekend. I expect it to be delicious.)

Uh.... care to mention the make and model of your dongle?

D-Link 54 Mbps Wireless USB stick have a fully functional driver on ubuntu and are USB 2.0 full speed compliant.

VRAndy said:
Uh.... care to mention the make and model of your dongle?

I can't find any identifying information on it, but it's the ralink rt2870 chipset.

Back