Whilst Waiting For My Pandora...

I installed windows 7 the other day, and I had some type of malware within minutes. My antivirus software caught some unsolicited activity. I don't see how anyone can feel secure making any financial transactions or dealing with sensitive information on windows.

You must visit some dodgy sites. I've had Windows 7 installed for a couple of weeks now with no problems whatsoever. I'm certainly no m$ fanboy, but Windows 7 is just a joy to use (or it has been so far, I hope it stays that way!). A feeling I've *never* had with any Linux distribution.

El Jefe said:
God's floodgate control system ran windows 2

Awesome. I loved Windows 2, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lunatic said:
I installed windows 7 the other day, and I had some type of malware within minutes. My antivirus software caught some unsolicited activity. I don't see how anyone can feel secure making any financial transactions or dealing with sensitive information on windows.

What dark, sketchy corners of the internet do you inhabit? I've had no issues with 7 yet. It does everything I want without a hitch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with using Windows. I installed it to play Dragon Age: Origins. But I think in a lot of cases, it's a security risk.

Edit: Also, I do indeed download things and surf the web pretty unscrupulously, but I don't think I should need to rely on the Internet's good will to prevent compromise. That's like saying that it's my fault for being mugged when walking through a high-crime area.

El Jefe said:
why yes, yes it does, chap.
its actually the source of everyone's woes. Al Qaeda uses it...

More of this please :lol:

Vorporeal said:
Lunatic said:

What dark, sketchy corners of the internet do you inhabit? I've had no issues with 7 yet. It does everything I want without a hitch.
I don't think it only depends on where you go anymore, you're just online at the right time to get infected. I now people that all they do is look at photo albums online, chat, and use web based e-mail that scans every thing they download and they get infected. Then I know people that go to weird torrent sites, download without scanning, install pirated software, you name it, and they don't get infected. They both have the same level of security but the one person that does nothing on their PC gets infected and the other person should have their PC physically explode.

Well, liken it to someone that goes to dark alleys, they are more likely to get mugged but it's not 100% certain, but plenty of people get mugged in broad daylight also, wrong place wrong time.

Lunatic said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with using Windows. I installed it to play Dragon Age: Origins. But I think in a lot of cases, it's a security risk.

Edit: Also, I do indeed download things and surf the web pretty unscrupulously, but I don't think I should need to rely on the Internet's good will to prevent compromise. That's like saying that it's my fault for being mugged when walking through a high-crime area.

Except that no operating system can stop the "mugging" from happening, more often than not, that's your or your Browser's fault. All the OS can do is try to heal your wounds after you just had the shit knocked out of you.

-God Ginrai

Back