Whilst Waiting For My Pandora...

ablufia

Still Fresh
i have become a pre-release order and pay for whore - i've just pre-ordered the smartdevice smartV7 http://www.jiongtang.com/blog/html/smartq5/smartv7-pictures-and-specification.html - the updated bigger brother of the smartq5 that cragix reviewed here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nMMzcHhvbM.

OS

Ubuntu
WinCE
Android

Display

7-inch WVGA (800 × 480 pixels)
16 million color TFT LCD

Processor

High-performance ARM11 processor
The maximum frequency 600MHz
Support for hardware 3D graphics acceleration

Memory

Memory 256MB DDR Ⅱ cache

Storge

Built-in 2GB flash memory
Support external SD card maximum capacity of 32GB

Wireless

IEEE 802.11 b/g Wifi
Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

Connection

USB2.0, OTG

Video Output

HDMI Port

Audio

3.5mm Earphone port
Built-in MIC

Power

4500mAH Battery
DC 5V 2.0A Charger

iheartgadgets :)

280USD - the store (in china) say they'll get it around the 18th november - i wonder when i'll get it in the uk ?

what things have you been paying for that you're not entirely sure when you're going to receive ?

Well I paid for a Pandora. For all I know the Chinese mould factory go bust, then texas instruments blows up, followed by craigx and others getting swine flu and finally ending with a fire destroying all remaining Pandora related stuff. THEN WE'RE DOOMED!

I also bought a SD card but that arrived today D:

Corecannon said:
Well I paid for a Pandora. For all I know the Chinese mould factory go bust, then texas instruments blows up, followed by craigx and others getting swine flu and finally ending with a fire destroying all remaining Pandora related stuff. THEN WE'RE DOOMED!

Why you gotta be so negative all the tiem brotha?

Last edited by a moderator:
Corecannon said:

hahaha :) the film "2012" could've been called "Pandora" ?

i don't mind the wait - it gives me a tingling feeling all down my right arm...hold on...

torpor said:
I have a Smart Q7. Its rubbish. Terrible build quality and disastrous OS. Next.

I wouldn't be so quick to write it off completely. I have one, and it's absolutely fantastic as a comic book reader (or just a regular e-reader, for that matter). I also read research papers for school on it. Yes, the OS is bad, but it gets better with every release (plus, it doesn't really bother you at all if you're using it mostly as a reader, like me).

torpor said:

you could've at least told me before i bought it.

i always knew i'd regret marrying you.

wermy said:
torpor said:

I wouldn't be so quick to write it off completely. I have one, and it's absolutely fantastic as a comic book reader (or just a regular e-reader, for that matter). I also read research papers for school on it. Yes, the OS is bad, but it gets better with every release (plus, it doesn't really bother you at all if you're using it mostly as a reader, like me).

wermy, that's the main reason i'm buying it, as an ebook - the reviews i'd read said it's quite good for that - and a good price compared to a dedidated reader.

ablufia said:
wermy, that's the main reason i'm buying it, as an ebook - the reviews i'd read said it's quite good for that - and a good price compared to a dedidated reader.
If that's why you're buying it (it's why I did), then I doubt you'll be disappointed. :) In my eyes, it's an e-reader with a ton of features (like internet access, ability to get any ARM program out of the ubuntu repo, etc...). Yes, these extra features aren't as good as they are on a netbook, or more powerful MID -- but you wouldn't expect them to be in an e-reader, would you? :)

torpor said:
Which OS, Ubuntu, Mer, Android, WinCE ??? Surely the fact that you can already choose from 4 OS's rather blows a bit of hole in your argument. Did you try the accelerated ver 5.51 Ubuntu OS yet? Agreed it's not up to Nokia like build quality but it's not rubbish, I'd say it's worth the $189 I paid.
Q7THFC300.jpg

Attachments

• Q7THFC300.jpg
    Q7THFC300.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 93
I haven't tried the accelerated Ubuntu on it yet .. the USB ports stopped working on it for some reason a few weeks ago and in my disgust with the whole build quality (seriously, you think that pearlescent plastic is worth it? yikes) I've just been ignoring it in favour of .. yet another shitty plastic case'd pile of overhyped junk, the AI Touchbook.

I quite like the look of the archos 9 tablet which would be my next option if the pandora was delayed past my birthday in January. Granted it's not as cute as the smart q7 but it does look nice. Oh and the new wacom multi touch graphic tablets look interesting too.

I didn't get my shiny birthday present last year and I am sure as hell going to get something nice for the next one even if it's not the pandora..

torpor said:
I haven't tried the accelerated Ubuntu on it yet .. the USB ports stopped working on it for some reason a few weeks ago and in my disgust with the whole build quality (seriously, you think that pearlescent plastic is worth it? yikes) I've just been ignoring it in favour of .. yet another shitty plastic case'd pile of overhyped junk, the AI Touchbook.

i haven't bought it for the case - just what i hope it will be able to do - hopefully any internal hardware issues (like your USB failure) will have been addressed / sorted by now...

hmmm - makes me wonder about being in the pandora first batch ;)

pawprints said:
I quite like the look of the archos 9 tablet which would be my next option if the pandora was delayed past my birthday in January. Granted it's not as cute as the smart q7 but it does look nice. Oh and the new wacom multi touch graphic tablets look interesting too.

I didn't get my shiny birthday present last year and I am sure as hell going to get something nice for the next one even if it's not the pandora..

i did look at the achos 9, and it does look like a fantatsic piece of kit;

archos-9.jpg

but way too much for what i wanted to spend on a gadget !

ablufia said:

The hardware is awesome, but the sheer idea of putting Windows on a PC smaller than a small car makes me queezy.

torpor said:
I hide mine within a nice fitted leather case, it looks soooooo much better.

Well I'll be keeping mine but only as a hack/display parts supply. It really disappoints me that USB stopped working suddenly. And the other thing is that its fat and kinda unweildy, sorry but I'm being a bit spoiled by the iPhone and Zii Egg and so on at this point. Sure, the screen is nice, but its too thick for my tastes.

zhasha said:
ablufia said:

The hardware is awesome, but the sheer idea of putting Windows on a PC smaller than a small car makes me queezy.
yeah hehe winblow$ sux guys right? he he he

PoisonedV said:
zhasha said:
ablufia said:

Edit: I wrote something I wasn't proud of so I took it off.

PoisonedV said:
zhasha said:
ablufia said:

why yes, yes it does, chap.
its actually the source of everyone's woes. Al Qaeda uses it, Stalin used it, heck Hitler used it. The Rape of Nanking was orchestrated on an Ideapad, Bush's automaton voting machines ran it. Rwanda genocide... you guessed it, participants were given pc's, shitstorm ensued. Kanye west used a PC to calculate the trajectory of his hand as he intercepted the mic from taylor's clutch. The pandora banking crisis, thx pc. Watergate: nixon used bugs running windows 95 to listen around. Admiral Ackbar only noticed it was a trap too late because PC's were cocking up the works on his ship "home one" Rand al Thor was went mad by the tainted source, whose main framework was on vista when it got owned by a virus screwing up things for centuries of male aes sedai. God's floodgate control system ran windows 2, and well, noah can tell you what happened after that. Basically the only screw not caused by windows is the apple tv. <<shitsux

Back