Who Is The C64 King - Frodo Or Vice?

BazookaJo

Still Fresh
Time to get the old C64 running on my GP2X.

Which one should I go for?

Regards

Joe.

Both ... some games that don't run in Frodo run in Vice, and 'Vice-Versa' (horrible pun un-intended ;)).

IMHO Vice. Definitely.
I like the aspect of gp2x that besides frodo we have excellent port of vice. (on my nokia ngage there was only frodo... hopeless when comes to run demos for example)

btw welcome all , this is my 1st post :)

I bought the gp2x for c64 emulation. I mainly use vice because it is more compatible. I have no problems at all with games that do not work with this emulator.

It needs a higher clockrate to do fullspeed (250mhz) so it has shorter battery life. Vice does not support savestates so that is a drawback. But it makes the gp2x a perfect portable c64...

You should make a donation to Mike dawson for his excellent work !

I bought the gp2x for c64 emulation. I mainly use vice because it is more compatible. I have no problems at all with games that do not work with this emulator.

It needs a higher clockrate to do fullspeed (250mhz) so it has shorter battery life. Vice does not support savestates so that is a drawback. But it makes the gp2x a perfect portable c64...

You should make a donation to Mike dawson for his excellent work !

Higher Clockrate?! This is C64 we're talking about right :blink: ? At that rate I reckon I won't even be able to complete Last Ninja on a pair of Ansmanns :p

I had Frodo on the GP2X and it ran great - no need for overclocking if I recall (though it did crash when Head met Heels) Maybe the extra Hz will be worth it.

So 250mHz right? Just out of interest - what's the standard clock speed of the GP2X (

Last edited by a moderator:
I love VICE too, but even with overclocking I still can't avoid the sound pausing that happens every few seconds.

I've seen a few posts about this - What is the workaround? My unit overclocks to 250 MHz but this only makes the pauses less frequent. Besides - why does a 64 emulator need to be overclocked?! Isn't it a fairly simple emulation? :blink:

Something must be off in the VICE port. Would LOVE to get this addressed.

Thoughts?

Mac

I love VICE too, but even with overclocking I still can't avoid the sound pausing that happens every few seconds.

I've seen a few posts about this - What is the workaround? My unit overclocks to 250 MHz but this only makes the pauses less frequent. Besides - why does a 64 emulator need to be overclocked?! Isn't it a fairly simple emulation? :blink:

Something must be off in the VICE port. Would LOVE to get this addressed.

Thoughts?

Mac

Considering we have fullspeed NeoGeo, Ok SNES, and full speed Megadrive, even w/o Overclock in many cases, you would think C64 would be fullspeed at 100 MHz.

I guess it comes down to very unoptimised PC code ported without many or no speed optimizations.

I like Frodo for the games that work as the sound and speed is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
All those nasty hacks programmers used requires accurate (slow) emulation (as in pixel-timed code execution).

Back