Why Can't The Chinese Use A Different Plastic?

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
Is there something stopping the chinese from using a different plastic in the manufacture of the MP cases?

Like if they went for a white or a transparent plastic, the smears and greasy things would definitely be much less visible. I'm not sure on what people's opinions are about a different colour Pandora, but surely you'd prefer that over the smeary black, right? Or at least not care either way.

Apologies if I have facts wrong, or this question has been answered in a different thread, I'm just curious.

Nova said:
Is there something stopping the chinese from using a different plastic in the manufacture of the MP cases?

Like if they went for a white or a transparent plastic, the smears and greasy things would definitely be much less visible. I'm not sure on what people's opinions are about a different colour Pandora, but surely you'd prefer that over the smeary black, right? Or at least not care either way.

Apologies if I have facts wrong, or this question has been answered in a different thread, I'm just curious.
its not an color issue
its a material stability issue, structurally it will be like the diference between diamond and glass, both are transparent but one will break much more easily. (im not talking about costs here)

even if you got a transparent case if those waves and smears apear, it will get more failure points.

my bet is recycled on at least 80% and maybe nearly no Master Batch, it might be usefull to get some talc based additive.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't even know what kind of plastic they did use.

Transparent plastics are very hard and and brittle. The current is supposedly ABS or something, which is rather soft.

Hmm, i dont think it is just ABS since ABS is pretty easy to use.

I made hospital clip boards from ABS the other day.. or was it HIPS.. I really ought to take notes at work. I think it was HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene). It was white and really easy to work with. We work with most kinds of plastic;

ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene),
HIPS,
HDPE (High Density Polyethylene),
uPVC (unplasticized PVC),
PVC (polyvinyl Chloride),
ACRYLIC,
LEXAN,
Polypropylene,
Polycarbonate

I was considering making my own CNC case from acrylic actually. But it wouldn't be easy without a CAD file for the dimensions.
I was thinking.. Transparent Fluorescent Pink or Green :)
flores10.jpg

Of course Acrylic is really not an ideal plastic for this because it's not super strong. It's quite brittle. But it's the only way to have such nice Transparent Fluorescent colours (colors for americans) ;)

^^^ I vote for OP giving you the CAD and letting you sell me a green CNC case! Then I'll happily take a case-less Pandora for my order!

We've got Makerbots and Cupcake and CNC and a laser-cutter here at Metalab .. if I had the CAD files, I'd spend a weekend designing my own case. :(

^^^Yeah. Maybe once it's released we can get the CAD files. I mean, it is open-source. :p
I see you're from Austria, some of the best quality plastic products in the world are made in Austria and Germany.
Sounds like you have some quite expensive machinery at you disposal there? What's a 'Cupcake'?

Ps. I went to Vienna when i was 5, I have distant relatives there :)

shunun: cupcake is another name for the makerbot 3D printer, i guess .. yeah vienna is lovely, and i would personally be *VERY* happy to help find a plastics vendor here in vienna/austria that can take care of mass producing the pandora cases .. also i have heard that there are a great deal of former eastern-bloc countries that can do this sort of work, competing with china on price and quality, so this maybe something for the future .. at the last company i worked for, all the cases for their products (studio equipment) were manufactured in Hungary, of all places, and the quality was superlative ..

I think the OP team should come out with a special, limited edition pandora with a case made from machined titanium, with hardened glass on the touchscreen. All waterproof. Hell yeah, a pandora you can drive your car over and it not flinch rawr.

DroneB Dev said:
Nova said:

its not an color issue
its a material stability issue, structurally it will be like the diference between diamond and glass, both are transparent but one will break much more easily. (im not talking about costs here)

even if you got a transparent case if those waves and smears apear, it will get more failure points.

my bet is recycled on at least 80% and maybe nearly no Master Batch, it might be usefull to get some talc based additive.

theres a company that will take stuff like gaming consoles and make the housing out of gold, they do it for a pretty penny though

DaMummy said:
theres a company that will take stuff like gaming consoles and make the housing out of gold, they do it for a pretty penny though
Really? Sweet! I collect pennies! I've got to have at least 3 or 4 that would be considered pretty by anyone's standard. :D

There is plastic and plastic, I hope, the Pandora Case Material will be rock-solid. :)
I've used the G36 assault rifle onto the german army, most Parts made out of plastic but I've never seen this kind of plastic before. Incredible strong and I'm sure, you could slam a nail into a concrete wall with this rifle without damaging the Plastic. You even could drive with a Car over it I think. If the Pandora would be made out of this Material, our Handheld would last forever I'm sure. :D

I mean, it is open-source.
It's not open source. It's open access, which makes it easy to have a bunch of open source software on it, including the operating system (of your choice), legally and without the need to 'hack' or 'jailbreak' it.

That's what's open. That, and the insight into the manufacture and design process (for better or worse).

True, but their also not against you doing hardware mods either, so it's not just the fact that you don't have to jailbrake it.
If I remember correctly their going to release some useful schematics after release also. I'm not into modding but there's probably a few people who are, and they should hopefully be given enough info to do pretty much anything they want.
I know for some people they don't consider it open unless EVERYTHING is open...... Not sure if that's a debate worth going over again though :lol:

Back