Why Do Gurus Have Their Posts Stretched Out?

willrandship

Whenever I'm on the computers at school any time I read a post by a GP32 guru (You know, with the red X) their post gets ridiculously stretched out. I have two possible explanations.

1. The school's PCs use internet explorer.
2. The Firewall is screwing up the html.

Any ideas? Does this happen to anyone else?

Yep happens to me too.

Mostly why I stopped reading these forums. I still check in occasionally (obviously) but I can't take reading much since it is so messed up.

I think it only happens on Internet Explorer, its works fine for me on Firefox.

I have never seen anything like that.
I can help with a solution though.

Opera web browser is excellent.. I know, firefox is king - blah blah blah.

You could get a SanDisk Cruzer USB flash (1-2gb is like $8), which has an inbuilt menu system (start menu in system tray) which you can install Firefox or Opera directly to the drive and don't need admin privileges and then it should fix all them word wrap issues AND no IE history on the computer. All files are on the flash.

rabidpoobear said:
Pretty sure it's an I.E. problem.
Vilmos: can't you get a Chrome tab for IE and use that to view the forums?

I'm sure it is an IE problem as well, but I can't fix it at work. I'm stuck with IE7 at work and that is when I check the forums...er during my very small breaks only of course. :ph34r:

As noted above there are a few places where we can't control the software browser, so fixing the board would really make us happy. I'd like to keep track of the Pandora, but with the forums so hard to read I end up browsing titles and leaving.

Last edited by a moderator:
kingoddball said:
You could get a SanDisk Cruzer USB flash (1-2gb is like $8), which has an inbuilt menu system (start menu in system tray) which you can install Firefox or Opera directly to the drive and don't need admin privileges and then it should fix all them word wrap issues AND no IE history on the computer. All files are on the flash.
Or you could install Firefox Portable from portableapps.com on ANY flash drive, rather than buying the ones that have silly menus pre-installed on them.

We're not allowed top use flash drives at school without getting them scanned every time they leave the room....
Some of the PCs we have use firefox, but not the ones that run decent! Some of them are Pentium 3s!

IE is still one of the major browsers, so this should definitely be fixed if at all possible.

Opera is very good, that's true - although I don't use it too often because for me, the font size in Opera is either too big or too small, compared to Firefox (maybe that can be edited, but I don't know how).

Vilmos said:
rabidpoobear said:
Vilmos: can't you get a Chrome tab for IE and use that to view the forums?

I'm sure it is an IE problem as well, but I can't fix it at work. I'm stuck with IE7 at work and that is when I check the forums...er during my very small breaks only of course. :ph34r:

As noted above there are a few places where we can't control the software browser, so fixing the board would really make us happy. I'd like to keep track of the Pandora, but with the forums so hard to read I end up browsing titles and leaving.

Esn said:
IE is still one of the major browsers, so this should definitely be fixed if at all possible.

Opera is very good, that's true - although I don't use it too often because for me, the font size in Opera is either too big or too small, compared to Firefox (maybe that can be edited, but I don't know how).

A problem with the board software should be addressed with Invision, the people who made the board software. Also, the board has many viewing modes. You guys are telling me that even the mode that shows minimal formatting has this problem?

-God Ginrai

IE includes a feature called "Compatability View" supposedly to make older web sites display as intended despite breaking IE's "rules".

I suspect you have this turned on - try turning it off by clicking the little green-and-white "broken page" button to the right of the address bar, if you can.

Monk said:
IE includes a feature called "Compatability View" supposedly to make older web sites display as intended despite breaking IE's "rules".

I suspect you have this turned on - try turning it off by clicking the little green-and-white "broken page" button to the right of the address bar, if you can.

That will only work if you're using IE8. My school still has IE6 installed all of it's computers, so if your school has upgraded I'd consider you lucky. <_<

Download and install portable firefox to your account on the school computer. You will be able to run it, even without installing privileges.

Willrandship said:
2. The Firewall is screwing up the html.

Um I don't think that's possible.

rabidpoobear said:

No. It's a forum problem. The forum doesn't render on one of the most popular browsers.

ED took over as administrator so this might not be completely accurate, but sounds like there needs to be more time in the largest section here

9ead02f1f71250749098.png

I wouldn't recommend doing anything with portable drives or bypassing what your school has on their computers without expressed permission. Mine kicked me out for stuff like that.

Pleng said:
rabidpoobear said:
No. It's a forum problem. The forum doesn't render on one of the most popular browsers.

No, it's an outdated browser problem. Guru posts render fine on IE8. If you must use an antiquated browser, try changing your forum view settings.

Pleng said:
Just because it's popular doesn't make it right, otherwise the Earth would still be flat. :p
(I know, I know, it's a joke!)

Chip said:
Pleng said:
rabidpoobear said:

No, it's an outdated browser problem. Guru posts render fine on IE8. If you must use an antiquated browser, try changing your forum view settings.

Changing your forum view settings to what exactly?

I didn't ask for mine but it's pretty cool it screws Internet Exploder up. B)

Back