Why I Will Not Be Getting A Pandora Now...

darkblu said:
mazza558 said:
darkblu said:
good luck with doing es2 on the pre.
It'll probably be quite easy given the developer tools based on Java, seems pretty open so far.

* there are no java bindings for es2 as of now.
* do you have any hard references to the pre sdk? my information is that as of now there's very little access to the hw capabilities exposed in the sdk.

I was under the impression that the Pre SDK was based on javascript, not Java. Hence the whole "WebOS" moniker. As it stands, all the information I've heard says there will be no low level hardware access at all, though there will be libraries so you can do stuff with the camera or the GPS or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos said:
darkblu said:
mazza558 said:
darkblu said:
good luck with doing es2 on the pre.
It'll probably be quite easy given the developer tools based on Java, seems pretty open so far.

* there are no java bindings for es2 as of now.
* do you have any hard references to the pre sdk? my information is that as of now there's very little access to the hw capabilities exposed in the sdk.

I was under the impression that the Pre SDK was based on javascript, not Java. Hence the whole "WebOS" moniker. As it stands, all the information I've heard says there will be no low level hardware access at all, though there will be libraries so you can do stuff with the camera or the GPS or whatever.

So does that mean not to expect any emulators that require low level language to run beyond a Gameboy emulator or even none at all on the pre? :p

TaG said:
atomicthumbs said:
a200 said:
So I guess I will not be buying it now. I think the people involved with the Pandora project have been very unprofessional - never take money off people to finance production runs...
they didn't

Come off it - if the money they are trying to raise weren't needed for finalising production they would just produce the things and then sell them by credit card through their normal distribution companies. I am not criticing this though - that was what I assumed the pre-orders were for, ie we pay, they make.
Never mind using the money for the production run. The orders for the omap processors weren't even placed until pre-ordering began.

To sum it all up:

Some people have patience, some don't.

Why is it so difficult to wait? There are plenty of other things to do.

Cmon... if people starting to be a fuss when it comes to money they might aswell stop paying their healthcare and insurance (which is kinda more of a ripoff :p)

To be frank, I have patience... I will order once I see the prototype and have some reassurance the whole thing is not going to collapse into a heap (it is possible, regardless of how squeaky clean Craigix, ED, etc are).

Also, I explicitly asked about how much I would need to pay (i.e. do I pay the refunded amount or the 197.77 GBP originally quoted) - I was not given an answer to this though they did give me the direct transfer details.

I'm just wondering why he didn't order a beagleboard a couple months ago, seeing as it has opengl es 2.0 and has been available for awhile...

Hooka said:
I'm just wondering why he didn't order a beagleboard a couple months ago, seeing as it has opengl es 2.0 and has been available for awhile...
For those couple of months it had OpenGL ES-capable HW, but without drivers. B)
Some people were experimenting with loading TI EVM SGX user-space modules with uBuntu open-source SGX kernel stub. Result was a bunch of (still) unsolved problems.

Fat Agnus said:
Never mind using the money for the production run. The orders for the omap processors weren't even placed until pre-ordering began.
You again!

Craig already stated that the order was placed before the preorder. Why do you persist? Why do you think that the order was placed after the preorders?

Although I still really really want one, I have too agree with the OP in some fashion. I haven't been in the community for a while but I am a bit disappointed at the lack of any sort of version of the Pandora. I was planning on buying the Pandora once I got the money from my 6 months in the Army and I get to my christmas holiday and nothing has really materialised.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of the Pandora and look forward to purchasing one and playing it one day but I kind of feel jibbed on the release front.

If Craig and all of them make another handheld, I'd bet money it would be done completely different; and that pre-orders wouldn't be done until at least a basic version of the Pandora is made.

JakeK said:
Although I still really really want one, I have too agree with the OP in some fashion. I haven't been in the community for a while but I am a bit disappointed at the lack of any sort of version of the Pandora. I was planning on buying the Pandora once I got the money from my 6 months in the Army and I get to my christmas holiday and nothing has really materialised.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of the Pandora and look forward to purchasing one and playing it one day but I kind of feel jibbed on the release front.

If Craig and all of them make another handheld, I'd bet money it would be done completely different; and that pre-orders wouldn't be done until at least a basic version of the Pandora is made.
i agree with you and the topic starter. my pre order is happy canceled too :D
open source and "free minded" projects are good but breaking promises again and again and again is a no go for me!
the first release date was a big lie! we havent even seen a "real" pandora till now ... 3 (?) months after the release date.
:lol: @ at those of you still saying "give them more time ... everything is going to be better bla bla bla" .. open your eyes!

Flat said:
JakeK said:

i agree with you and the topic starter. my pre order is happy canceled too :D
open source and "free minded" projects are good but breaking promises again and again and again is a no go for me!
the first release date was a big lie! we havent even seen a "real" pandora till now ... 3 (?) months after the release date.
:lol: @ at those of you still saying "give them more time ... everything is going to be better bla bla bla" .. open your eyes!

3 months after the release date? , I havent been around long but the first estimate (just before pre-order) was end of december, and if things went very well maybe end of november were only 2 weeks later now.

I will still probably go through with getting one, but will wait a little longer until more progress has been made and the 'cutoff' date to pay has been established before deciding on payment. The device fits the bill for something I want too much to give up on it unless I absolutely decide it is necessary to do so. Hopefully the worst of the wrinkles in the project are passed, but we will see.

Edit: I am optimistic about the product still, but as long as time is on my side, I'm taking it.

I enjoy this thread. People aren't unhappy about the lack of some specific feature i.e. ethernet, firewire.. or the screen size or the layout or anything real. The only reason people are not getting a Pandora, is because they are butt-hurt about money. More specifically, they are butt-hurt that they have to pay back the same amount of money that they were refunded, at possible loss to the Pandora team, and negligible loss to themselves!

Obviously, the Pandora seems an awesome machine, even in the eyes of those who are canceling their orders.

SO I think I'll buy one of those instead!

Thanks for letting us know. We were all really wondering what you were going to do.

atomicthumbs said:
Fat Agnus said:
You again!

Craig already stated that the order was placed before the preorder. Why do you persist? Why do you think that the order was placed after the preorders?

LOL @ the "You again!" ... Newman!

What Craig is referring to is the request that the processors were requested to be purchase. If he wants to call this an order, that's great. I'm referring to the "Please send the stuff along with an invoice, I am ready to pay". That did not happen before pre-orders opened up.

Ironic that the folks on the board that "pre-ordered" actually sent money while the "order" that took place before parts were shipped was done without money.

calzone said:
a200 said:
When it was time to put my money down to buy one of these devices I did, with the promise that I would get it at the end of 2008 - that never happened, my money was returned to me, and with the conversion rates of the Australian Dollar, less was put back into my account. Then I got an email asking me to transfer money to order it again... With the conversion rates back to Pounds I would lose even more money; so I decided to wait and see what would happen by January. Still no device, still no real updates on the official site.

So I guess I will not be buying it now. I think the people involved with the Pandora project have been very unprofessional - never take money off people to finance production runs... There will always be production problems, and in the end the customer will suffer. After all I lost about $35 Dollars in conversion and the device that was promised is still vapor ware.

All I wanted it for was to mess around with GL es 2.0 before any other devices had that capability... Well I've got news for you, there's at least 3 devices coming out soon with GL es 2.0 specs... SO I think I'll buy one of those instead!
Careful, you are going to get jumped on by the 'faithful' who seem to ignore the basics of running a business and selling a product! Didn't you know? This isn't about buying a cool handheld machine, it's about joining a 'community' and you are just not allowed to say such things!!

Shame on you! ;)

I must admit, I'm close to this opinion too. No credit card protection? No comments from the team on all the crap going on at the moment? No order (and my £200 can go somewhere else!)

Communism.jpg

You knew it was coming for you.

the-heavy.jpg

[/quote]

Palm Pre.
And two pre-production units that my work have in possession.

Believe me these devices will hit the market at the right time.

Also, I did lose out with conversion... The money that was put back into my account was less than what I gave for pre-orders... SO figure that out.

I will not be posting anymore... All I wanted to say was that I'm not happy. And it's my right to say so.
[/quote]

Why are you comparing a phone to the pandora? Of course you have the right to be upset and state your opinion but complaining about the money lost in conversion is not the pandora teams fault plus there is a financial crisis also... ;)

Regards

André

Palm Pre.

Also, I did lose out with conversion... The money that was put back into my account was less than what I gave for pre-orders... SO figure that out.

I will not be posting anymore... All I wanted to say was that I'm not happy. And it's my right to say so.
[/quote]

Why are you comparing a phone to the pandora? Of course you have the right to be upset and state your opinion but complaining about the money lost in conversion is not the pandora teams fault plus there is a financial crisis also... ;)

Regards

André
[/quote]

Technically André, the bank had to return the money, the team wasn't allowed to use the CC money to build the units in the first place. If the team had known that, he wouldn't be out that money, so I think he has the right to complain about it.

If you pre ordered a Pandora you have every right to comment and even complain about a product you are owed - don't jump all over someone for excercising that right or having a differing opinion to yours.

If you haven't pre-ordered then you can't really complain about anything except maybe communication, but nothing is owed to you.

For those in this thread who say nobody is loosing on finacial transactions, you really need to do the maths - somebody is loosing, either the customer or Pandora - with the exchange rates fluctuating so much there has to be a loss somwhere and there are bank fees on top of that.

And for those of you here who beleive that the Pandora is being produced for the community, well you need to wake up from your slumber. Craig, ED and the others are producing it to make money, no high ideals, just that - they've seen a gap in the market and seen how much the GP32 and GP2X made and want a slice of the pie ( and I for one don't begrudge them that - there taking the risk and are entitled to the profit ).

Sure, it's been developed with people from the 'community' and aimed at a specific set of users ( US ) but profits the driver here and just because it's a 'homebrew' machine aimed at 'homebrewers' does not mean that company (??) producing Pandora are exempt from the same professional standards and procedures that sony and nintendo have to follow.

I apologise for the rant and none of the above means I will not be getting a pandora... I've just learnt from my GP2X first edition experience to wait until the dust settles before ordering.

spaceballs3000 said:

Palm Pre.

Regards

André
[/quote]

Technically André, the bank had to return the money, the team wasn't allowed to use the CC money to build the units in the first place. If the team had known that, he wouldn't be out that money, so I think he has the right to complain about it.
[/quote]

Yeah, but still the main reasons for the delay and bank issues is the global financial crisis. Hence, I still think his complaining is targeted at the wrong people but as I said earlier he has every right to complain.

Regards

André

Back