Why is it not allowed to post copyrighted stuff?

chaosfx said:
craig : you had your iphonegame being pirated in 30 min ? and now you post something like this : let them post the scans , they can't do anything against it ..........

That's a pretty moronic comparison.

No one 'pirated' this magazine in question, just posted a 'screen shot' from it.

If someone posted a video of part of my game, or the whole game, would it be banned here?

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
If someone posted a video of part of my game, or the whole game, would it be banned here?
I would have thought that the differences were obvious:
You pay for a magazine so that you can read it. A scan lets you read it.
You pay for a game so that you can play it. A screenshot/video does not let you play it.

If someone linked to the cracked .ipa of your iPhone App then yes, it would be deleted.

sebt3 said:
SomeGuy wasn't the fair guy he was before.

Really? Well that's something I'll go away and think about.

I honestly wasn't in a bad mood when I mentioned this stuff. I just shared my impression with Mali, who appreciated the feedback but had his own mind made up concerning the rules.

Nobody else got the same vibe as me, so it's very possible I'm completely in the wrong. Sorry about that folks.

quote said:
craigix said:
I would have thought that the differences were obvious:
You pay for a magazine so that you can read it. A scan lets you read it.
You pay for a game so that you can play it. A screenshot/video does not let you play it.

If someone linked to the cracked .ipa of your iPhone App then yes, it would be deleted.

I used to pirate magazines all the time! I would stand in Whsmiths and read the best articles, then not buy it. Dozens of people would stand around doing the same.

And you know what? I never once got told to leave, and neither did anyone else. Guess what else? I bought all my magazines from that shop in the years following, but never really thought about why.

They're a huge chain store, and still going strong. And even now when I go in, it's scores of people standing around... reading magazines they won't pay for.

SomeGuy99 said:
I used to pirate magazines all the time! I would stand in Whsmiths and read the best articles, then not buy it. Dozens of people would stand around doing the same.

And you know what? I never once got told to leave, and neither did anyone else. Guess what else? I bought all my magazines from that shop in the years following, but never really thought about why.

They're a huge chain store, and still going strong. And even now when I go in, it's scores of people standing around... reading magazines they won't pay for.

taking pictures and posting the on a nonprivate forum on the web

standing in a store and reading magazines

wow......
maybe u should take your copy machine to the store next time , would make a nice vid .....

chaosfx said:
wow......
maybe u should take your copy machine to the store next time , would make a nice vid .....

In the early days of the web, before widespread MP3's I know "someone" that would right down the track list from a CD in the shop
and then go home to track down the tracks individually for free online.

On one hand, it was a someone's work being broadcasted on the internet for everyone to see. On the other hand, the author had already been paid for the article, so it is not like piracy, where the author loses money for every copy pirated.

And yes, I suppose the Magazine's owners may have lost money, but it was just one article in one issue of the magazine.

It's a grey area, sure.

craigix said:
chaosfx said:
craig : you had your iphonegame being pirated in 30 min ? and now you post something like this : let them post the scans , they can't do anything against it ..........

No one 'pirated' this magazine in question, just posted a 'screen shot' from it.

if u don't want the video to be posted it would be deleted.
the best way would be to contact you inbefore and ask if there's any problem with posting it.

we don't have to discuss what piracy is , most of us should be old enought to know what's wrong and what's right.

mali said:
Warez are copyrighted software, scans are copyrighted magazines.
nothing more to post here .....

This is the internet. There are no walls or barriers to stop data from flowing. We only have 'Can you take that down please?'.

Even Google pirates books! They work out the logistics later.

chaosfx said:
we don't have to discuss what piracy is , most of us should be old enought to know what's wrong and what's right.

Don't be ageist :)

Actually, I find that as time passes and the machinations of the world become more visible... right and wrong are not so obvious anymore.

Beyond basic tenets like 'Treat other people how you want to be treated' there's a lot of grey out there.

Nova said:
On the other hand, the author had already been paid for the article, so it is not like piracy, where the author loses money for every copy pirated.

Something isn't considered piracy based on the licensing/compensation model for those involved... which consists of more than the author, who probably relies on the success of the company for his/her next paycheck.

Not like it's any different for most commercial games, where the developers are paid a salary and not royalties per copy sold.

This is of course just a semantic issue, not some kind of ethical argument.

SomeGuy99 said:
I can go into Game and play Guitar Hero or use a DS. I can go into HMV and listen to a chart album. Both of those things are different to actually owning something. Anyway, this bores me.
It's a grey area and mali took action.

The point I was tying to make is that Whsmiths is a microcosm for the commercial world. If you interviewed the people who go in just to read the magazines and never buy anything... you might crack the secret to piracy.

I used to read the same magazine in that shop for two years, but I went on to buy it from there for another 8.

Sometimes stealing is free advertising. As weird as it sounds, there's no established wisdom when it comes to this topic... nobody knows how to deal with it, and it never gets resolved. The more you discuss it, the more confusing and less sense it seems to make.

In this country - in the UK, the issue is so fierce that new laws were passed to combat online piracy. It allows the making up of ANY penalty outside of a court of law... fines of any amount... our civil rights eroded because this strange and confusing issue scares them.

I enjoy this discussion very much. Craig, I'm rather disappointed in your view on the matter.

craigix said:
chaosfx said:

Copyright say you can't copy an original work without author permission. But there is some exception for fair use. For example if you're talking about this work, you can quote small pieces, and taking screenshot of a game is allowed. In particular the video of a game is very different from the game itself (ie the video is not iteractive). Probably a video of the whole game can be considered illegal if not permitted by the author, but is more difficult to say that there is a damage.

But if you take a video of a movie, besides the low quality, it is a copy of the original work.

So a scan of an article, that let you read it without paying for the magazine, is like pirating a game (or a part of it).

Exophase said:
Nova said:
On the other hand, the author had already been paid for the article, so it is not like piracy, where the author loses money for every copy pirated.

Something isn't considered piracy based on the licensing/compensation model for those involved... which consists of more than the author, who probably relies on the success of the company for his/her next paycheck.

Not like it's any different for most commercial games, where the developers are paid a salary and not royalties per copy sold.

This is of course just a semantic issue, not some kind of ethical argument.

True. I used the word piracy in lieu of something else I can't think of at the moment. Hopefully my other point stands.

diegor said:
So a scan of an article, that let you read it without paying for the magazine, is like pirating a game (or a part of it).

Ah, but what about transcribing?

It was in German anyway... so if somebody did a translation and posted the text, would that count?

A vote of confidence for mali. I don't know if I agree with what he did in this particular case, but I think he's been doing a good job generally.

P.S. Yes, if we go strictly by the letter of the law, Youtube gameplay videos and screenshots are all illegal. So are most of the avatars of this forum's members; almost all of them illegally infringe copyright. Some of the usernames also infringe registered trademarks.

SomeGuy99 said:
diegor said:

Ah, but what about transcribing?

It was in German anyway... so if somebody did a translation and posted the text, would that count?

Legaly? It's still not allowed, if not permitted from author or whoever have the right on the article.

Esn said:
A vote of confidence for mali. I don't know if I agree with what he did in this particular case, but I think he's been doing a good job generally.

P.S. Yes, if we go strictly by the letter of the law, Youtube gameplay videos and screenshots are all illegal. So are most of the avatars of this forum's members; almost all of them illegally infringe copyright. Some of the usernames also infringe registered trademarks.

Yep, there is much grey and beyond. I've seen scans being removed before, so it was an easy decision. The guy who posted it can still say that he offers to send his scans via PM, then it would be ok as it's not publicly posted and he is the only one who breaks the law.

I really don't see that much harm done anyway if I remove a Dutch magazine article most people here don't understand anyway. The procedure will be differently in the future though to avoid misunderstandings like what happened here. The post will be disapproved immediately and the user will get a PM so that he can post again without copyright infringing material. I won't edit posts any more.

mali said:
^ This is a multinational board and it was Dutch, btw ;)

It's all Dutch to me.

1.1267462470.me-in-the-dutch-shoe.jpg

Back