Why Is It Worth Waiting For Pandora?

gp2.eXe

Ultra Mega GP32X Mania Hardcore
Website
Visit site
Hello. :)

Many of us have been seeing the development of the Pandora console from the beginnings, the excitement it originated was hard to describe. Every single step has made us imagine what we will be doing with it when we get it.

Of course, as most of us know, the project has experienced many difficulties, resulting in delays and causing some people to lose hope, faith, or patience. This thread is designed to express our feelings about why it is really worth the wait, so that if you are thinking like that you can regain your interest, so please be optimistic if you post.

Pandora is definitely one of the best consoles you can find currently. When I heard of it the first time I thought: "Wow, that device sounds way too good". And it gets better every day.
Even if there was a delay, I feel that we are too close now to back off and say, "I can't wait any longer, bye...", because we are having one of the best chances to get something so nice.

The fact that the Pandora was designed by the community, for the community, and knowing that it has that strong community to support it when it is released makes it better. What you will be having in your hands is the effort of people who gave so much of themselves to bring us something that would fill our needs.

And more importantly, this is only the beginning of this road. Much more awaits for us.

Now it's your turn! ;)

Tell us, what makes it worth for you to still be waiting? Even if there was a delay?
Again, possitive comments are more than welcome. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing else in the market.
Unless somebody can build something just like the Pandora before it comes out, I'll wait indefinitely for it.

simple

there`s only one bus to Awesome city.....and if you miss it, you will never get another.

if you don`t buy your dream home, there will be other homes you fall in love with

if you don`t marry that stunning girl, there will be other girls that move you in other (probably more intense) ways

if you don`t move to another country, you still can someday

if you don`t win the lottery this week, well, maybe you will next week

but this bus will only go to Awesome once, if the conductor goes broke then they won`t go that way again EVER

fact!

This is the only platform that is 1. portable, 2. has some decent performance 3. is open 4. has a decent community 5. has some decent software support and 6. is unique on the market in every other way.

In short: It is The pure essence of Awesome. (this is the Internet after all, I am allowed to make statements like this :p)

Hasn't this topic been done before? Basically, the Pandora is the first device anyone here has heard of with all of its functionality at its price point and size. There is literally no alternative right now if you want every single thing the Pandora does, in your pocket, for $330.

'typs lik dis' said:
Hasn't this topic been done before? Basically, the Pandora is the first device anyone here has heard of with all of its functionality at its price point and size. There is literally no alternative right now if you want every single thing the Pandora does, in your pocket, for $330.
or 300 euro...lucky americans :p

The Pandora, this community and the developers are like that electronic dream you never thought was possible. And still, here we are dreaming, and soon to be in paradise. Who wants to leave paradise?

Not been around very long, I haven't had to wait like you guys.

There's no other compact hand held device that can both replace my laptop and satisfy my gaming needs.

I know I'll be showing it off and recommend it to others.

I've been hanging around for years, and have been reading the forums since quite some time before the GP2X pre-orders (although I knew of them before that). Pandora-wise, I dipped in and out of the "Our New Machine" thread during its run, and the wait's been fun from seeing the concept being discussed (I was rather amused when the name "Craiginator" was coined, by the way :p), to the present date, with all the ups and downs that have gone with it.

To me, the Pandora was, and still is, worth waiting for because nothing else is available or announced that meets my needs (a non-x86 portable computer with a good battery-life, and good gaming capabilities - the machine I've dreamed of since I was a kid :p), and there doesn't appear to be anything else on the horizon that will do so in the near-future, either. It is that simple for me. :p

because it would be stupid to back out after such a long wait ^^

Seriously, I have considered asking for my money back and buying 2 dingoos for me and my family, but after some reviews found there are worlds between these devices. If the dingoo gets a better genesis-emulator in the future, I'll consider it as a second device for the toilet or situations I don't want to have my pandora with me (like driving to a party by train). It's still unclear if the wiz will be released seriously earlier then the pandora, so it really doesn't make a difference for now.

One reason aside from portable awesomeness is once the first batch is out there will only be 4000 of us on the ENTIRE planet with the most unique and amazingly capable device in the world. Aside from the fun we are going to have with the device, we will have people wanting a Pandora and they too will have to wait and feel the same desire and impatience we now have..of course more will be available for them to do by the time they get theirs but we will be first and having fun before them....that is ALWAYS worth the wait...

Who hasn't loved it when they get some new device that makes others go "I want one, how do I get it" and we get to say "You don't motha...." well you get the idea...lol

I still scan the forums regularly in hopes of some shipment info for all of those that pre-ordered. That would tell me that I may be able to get one in a few months. In the meanwhile, tweaks will be noted for the 2nd or 3rd batch. I'm fine with that. Although I have to admit, I'd be pissed off had I pre-ordered something and see nothing half a year later. Either way, anxiously waiting for the "all clear" signal from people enjoying the first batch.

'Poem58' said:
One reason aside from portable awesomeness is once the first batch is out there will only be 4000 of us on the ENTIRE planet with the most unique and amazingly capable device in the world. Aside from the fun we are going to have with the device, we will have people wanting a Pandora and they too will have to wait and feel the same desire and impatience we now have..of course more will be available for them to do by the time they get theirs but we will be first and having fun before them....that is ALWAYS worth the wait...

Who hasn't loved it when they get some new device that makes others go "I want one, how do I get it" and we get to say "You don't motha...." well you get the idea...lol
Hehe, I still think all pandoras from 2. batch on should be pink, to show the elite-waiters ^^

Because it's going to be really cool to have.

Youcan seach around for devices all over and still not find anything close to this for the price point. Add to it the fact that there are dozens of applications that will be ready and work better than other devices.

I want a decent video player that's not going to trip over half the videos I own and dont want to waste the time trans coding to watch on the go.

I want a device that will let me read Ebook files WITH rich text formating. did you know none of the devices today that claim to read ebooks will read anything but a TXT file? no paragraphs, no bold or italics, nothin' can make some books realy hard to read.

sure you could get a iphone but that requires a bunch of contracts and I like the mobile company I'm with, I could get one of those knock offs or a hacked iphone but it's just a bunch of trouble.

I've already got a PSP and a DS, the PSP might be capable of emmulating a bunch of retro game systems but you have to install Custom firmware which could wreck the device entirely, also for the media you use to hold your applications and games Memory Stick Pro Duo can get a little expensive. A DS with R4 or similar card can insure you never pay for another DS game ever again not to mention T-flash/minisd cards are super cheap, but the problem is the DS is only optimal for emulating DS games through the R4 because it's design makes it less useful for many other games without a great deal of compromise. Which makes the Pandora great thanks to it's dynamic environment and openess to the development community, not to mention SDHC cards are dropping in price faster than memory sticks.

Controls for gaming? what do you need? it HAS it with the exception of multitouch and motion control. which are pointless for most retrogaming. But it does have touchscreen for the sake of non gaming applications.

Say what you like about other random platforms like the nookia or which ever device you chose to trot out the device was made for a specific demographic, that's people who want a device like the pandora and I'll hapily use it as I please and find it capable of doing which I prefer to do rather than squeeze down my needs to some hobbled form that compromises standards for the things I want to do on the go.

And yes, it's going to be wicked cool to have too.

Because it was made by the community for the community and the gp32x community has been on the forefront of portable homebrew and emulation for years. I want to hold this "history making" device in my hand... with all the other geeks in geekdom drooling...

Last year, I was very excited about the additional capabilities of the Pandora besides emulation. Especially the price of 250 euros seemed attractive for such a versatile handheld. But when there were ever more delays, I bought a 10" netbook and an iphone (you can buy officially unlocked ones in Europe). So I am not really in need of another "portable computer". And to be honest, I think my Samsung netbook makes much more sense for a device to work with away from home than the Pandora because it is simply too small to seriously work with and my iphone with its built-in phone, UMTS modem, camera and AGPS module will be more of use to me in everyday situations than the Pandora because the latter lacks all these features.

I am still interested in the Pandora and have kept my pre-order for two reasons: first, chances are that it will be the best handheld for emulation. Second, the project is interesting in itself. I want to see how the software developes, what features it will support that other handhelds do not support and if these features really enhance the experience on a handheld.

Last year, I was a customer in need of a handheld computer and by now have become more of an enthusiast.

Back