Why isn't Cinema SciFi about discovery anymore ?

The whole setup is a precursor to the Matrix's premise, but for just one example (I don't want to spoil it for anyone who might go looking for it now - come back when you have!), when Stiller enters the simulacron-1 simulation to meet Einstein, he enters and exits through a phone booth...!
Ahh, remember that Matrix part now... somewhat
existenz .. watch it, has its' fair share of twists and  turns.
I liked it a lot too
One of my favourite SciFi apart from the obvious choices is  Virus . Love the mechanical design.
I was utterly disappointed by it - how about Moontrap (1989), Walter Koenig and Bruce Campbell team up to fight evil spare part space monsters ?

I will like to see a movie of "Rendez-vous with Rama" from Arthur C. Clarck.
I loved the game, and read parts of the book so +1 for this. 
"... the only task you have that's really really hard in making movies, harder than getting money, is getting a script ... a good script"
a rare view on things these days
Edit: as it seems I'm just not able to quote right - thanks to neelix for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
"... the only task you have that's really really hard in making movies, harder than getting money, is getting a script ... a good script"
a rare view on things these days
True, but I think it's the right approach. Better to not make the film for lack of a good script than to pick a lousy script and turn it into a lousy film.

- Neelix

Ey? I think the new star trek films are pretty good, my favourate is probably first contact though patric stuart is a great actor and u feel his rage for the borg.

I just recently watched "Welt am Draht" (1973) (English title "World On A Wire"), it's worth a few hours of your time!
Another 70s German TV SciFi movie which was really good is "Das Millionenspiel" (1970) based on Robert Sheckleys short story "The Prize of Peril"
True, but I think it's the right approach. Better to not make the film for lack of a good script than to pick a lousy script and turn it into a lousy film.
definately, I should have accentuated it more.

Ey? I think the new star trek films are pretty good, my favourate is probably first contact though patric stuart is a great actor and u feel his rage for the borg.
It is not about the new Star Trek films beeing bad, just my moaning that "mainstream SciFy" is mostly about action sequences nowadays - at least that was the orginal intention while creating this thread.

how about Moontrap (1989), Walter Koenig and Bruce Campbell team up to fight evil spare part space monsters ?
 Good recommendation, saw it last year, those two guys give a great team! Even if I had Star Trek and Evil Dead on my mind the whole time :)

how about Moontrap (1989), Walter Koenig and Bruce Campbell team up to fight evil spare part space monsters ?
 Good recommendation, saw it last year, those two guys give a great team! Even if I had Star Trek and Evil Dead on my mind the whole time :)
Thanks for the tip, I just watched Moontrap,

although I had Babylon 5 in my mind because I saw the original 5 Seasons of it and Walter König has quite a big role there later on

as a powerful and ruthless high ranking Telepath/Psycop.

It would be possible to make a great remake of Moontrap nowadays.

I watched Silent Running again the other day having picked it up cheap on DVD, I remembered watching it years ago when I was young.

Still enjoyed it, not exactly fast paced like a lot of sci fi and not too much blowing up... good film
A very interesting little movie that's generally overlooked, not particularly deep or philosophical imho (if of course that's what you're looking for) but it's full of pathos & Bruce Dern turns in a really great little understated performance.

Must admit, I was slightly disappointed by Silent Running when I rewatched it a few years ago. Dern's character motivation just seems a little leftfield to be believable, but I do love the set design and the feel of sci fi movies shot around that time.

I loved Moon as a sort of homage to the design of that era, and it's also a tidy little story too. Shame Source Code (the director's next film) had neither. I am still looking forward to Elysium (the next film from the director of District 9). And Gravity, though that looks to me more of a straightforward thriller, that happens to be set in space.

Back