Why Isn't Japan Doing This?

Speaking of such things, I sincerely hope that a benevolent developer will port Gijiten or some other Japanese-english dictionary app for the Pandora. It'll seriously help me when I begin studying in Japan this September (and will give me even more reason to buy a Pandora, as I won't have to buy an e-dictionary).

PlopperZ said:
Squidge said:
I thought they just took a pre-existing device and copied it badly, like iPod/iPhone knock offs?
That's China <_<

If it were from Japan, it would've been released two years ago, be twice as small, twice as expensive, be just as powerful, and have a ton of mediocre games released for it.

@jbr: Asian and Western video games tend to be different. I can't think of any examples, but they just are.
Also it would technically be from the UK not the US

Yes, Asian games to tend to be better in that they are neither all about killing nor dull enough to do that to the player!

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife has a hello kitty translator she bought back in ~2004.
Not a bad little dictionary. As mentioned they all pretty much have monochrome screens and weren't exactly cheap at the time.

I do believe the asians tend to be somewhat more "big risk" averse compared with their western counterparts. The ASUS EEE PC was considered a huge risk which is why they put the whole system together using Intel's R&D from the classmate and used off the shelf available (screens) and old stuff (intel cpu & chipset) for the system.

I keep on telling my wife that the asians are way behind the times. Come on, the Phoenicians invented the alphabet 3500 years ago. Isn't it about time to modernize?

Back