What About A Japanese Pandora Community?

Zeno Arrow said:
AireTamStorm said:
So, lets start over, and go over again:
-What do we want to do?
-What do we need to have to do it?
-Where do you think we should start?
Create a dedicated Pandora website and forum for Japanese speakers. I'm not able to help, but that's what I think would be of most use to the Japanese Pandora community. With that in mind wouldn't it be best to start collecting together a list of people who are willing and able to help out (on whatever level). Meloncoke is clearly one of these people. I would suggest we also need at least one person to handle English/Japanese translation and at least one person to handle setting up the website and forum (even if they don't speak Japanese). You'll also need a name for this website.

I have a domain name registered, http://fallingsnow.jp. I can lend out pandora.fallingsnow.jp or <insert anything>.fallingsnow.jp if needed. I can also do initial hosting. I can do English <=> Japanese translation work, and we can get an actual Japanese person to verify my translations. However, building the website itself is beyond me. Thats what I have to offer.

Edit: Do note that the website I have listed is quite broken at the moment, thus, building the website is "beyond me". :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Japanese living in the United States and ordered the first batch. I used to attend Comicket everytime for couple years, but am not sure if Doujin Software ppl interest in this.
I atleast know there were some people who ported their Windows Doujin game to PSP when PSP homebrew became available. There were also number of people who was making and selling unofficial GBA games as Doujin game.
I don't have that much time, but am thinking to write some tips and logs of what I did to setup on my blog, once I got the unit.

By the way, is there any other Japanese in this forum?

AireTamStorm, did you grow up around japanese speakers or did you learn it later in life? (just curious)

PoisonedV said:
AireTamStorm, did you grow up around japanese speakers or did you learn it later in life? (just curious)
I started studying around 5-6 years ago. Years 1 and 2 were accidental- I started watching Japanese TV (subtitled). As I watched more shows, I noticed myself looking at the subtitles less and less. Since then, lots of self study and listening, but very few chances to talk. From what most Japanese speakers tell me, my accent is perfect, but I know there are many words I don't know, and a lot of syntax that I could improve upon.

AireTamStorm said:
I have a domain name registered, http://fallingsnow.jp. I can lend out pandora.fallingsnow.jp or <insert anything>.fallingsnow.jp if needed. I can also do initial hosting. I can do English <=> Japanese translation work, and we can get an actual Japanese person to verify my translations. However, building the website itself is beyond me. Thats what I have to offer.

That's great! B) Somewhere like pandora.fallingsnow.jp to develop the website and forum would be perfect. Good that you can help with the English <=> Japanese translations as well, hopefully Meloncoke can perfect/verify these translations. Now just need someone with experience in setting up websites and forums to get something going. Anyone here with experience in setting up an Invision forum for example?

maim said:
I don't have that much time, but am thinking to write some tips and logs of what I did to setup on my blog, once I got the unit.
Would you be interested in helping out with the proposed Japanese Pandora site as well maim?

Hello to everybody. I am a European living in Tokyo and I am working for a Japanese web and mobile agency. We do a lot of projects for local and international clients and I am an avid fan of the OpenPandora project (yep also pre-ordered one). So far for the intro...

Here is my spin on it:

This Japanese community idea sounds interesting and I can imagine there are already some Japanese geeks collecting information about the Pandora. Also I assume there is already something going on on 2channel. So first would be to sort out what is there already. (Don't want to re-invent the wheel). Then can think about one or some of the following: I) supporting existing communities II) create own community III) migrate the existing communities to a new platform. The best approach is to let Japanese locals run this and offer support if needed.

Here are some other ideas: to talk to magazines like ゲームラボ, or ゲームサイド (geek retro gamer magazines), get a Japanese Wikipedia entry done, activate the existing retro gaming communities on mixi, GREE, and so on.

Just my 2 cents

If anybody wants another hat in the pool, I am an American living in Japan. But my Japanese is poor, so I am uncertain what use I can be.

Zeno Arrow said:
Would you be interested in helping out with the proposed Japanese Pandora site as well maim?
If there is anything I can do, I'm happy to do it.

R. D. said:
Here are some other ideas: to talk to magazines like ゲームラボ, or ゲームサイド (geek retro gamer magazines), get a Japanese Wikipedia entry done, activate the existing retro gaming communities on mixi, GREE, and so on.
I don't recommend ゲームラボ. I have number of friends wrote number of articles for that publisher. They were saying that the publisher behave exact same as it's name, 三才ブックス. Which means, "three years old" books.

I think we need to have some nice website for those people like the one who used to play with P/ECE.
http://www.aquaplus.jp/piece/

Hello.

I'm busy until a few days because of intensive job (networking, repairing computers, installing software and much more), sorry for the slow reply.

The idea is making a community like others, having at least a forum, a wiki, a news zone and maybe a chat. Of course it could be designed with the likings of the japanese people.

I see Meloncoke is a lot confused about this, it seems he wasn't able to explain me this in English. I don't want to translate to Spanish at all, I'm just organzing people for making a team. I don't have the enough skills for managing a site like this, as I don't understand Japanese. I can translate from English to Spanish with no problem, that's a job for the OpenPandora.ES community.

The idea is to translate from Japanese to English just the news from the Japanese community, like software, so other communities can read it. Those translated news could be send by a mailing list. News by English websites could be translated by the skilled people.

Google Groups is now in Japanese I think. If he don't like this, please ask him some other solution he and japanese people would be more comfortable. I just wanted to make something for commenting about this, it could be a forum or whatever.

Regards.

Hello.

Here is an update of the latest events in the creation of the Japanese Pandora community.

There has been many volunteers, but the participation in the group is still a bit low. I hope this changes soon, I'm not sure if there are some kind of technical problems that avoids them to reply the messages correctly.

My idea is using Joomla, but we need someone making the custom theme for the site. I'm open to all kind of suggestions, but I think Joomla is very powerful and easy to use, it can be customized in a very extreme way.

A japanese person already bought openpandora.jp, so the site will have an official domain. He also offers a hosting too.

Because Japanese communities lack leaders and are more oriented to distributed collaboration, the idea is to use the japanese version of pandorawiki as main information source. This must be discussed with Chip, as probably is needed some of the people of the OpenPandora.JP team can become administrators of managers of the Japanese Pandorawiki section. There are some ideas about wiki integration too.

If you want to read or participate on the community, go to the following URL:
http://groups.google.com/group/pandora-japan

Regards.

Kloplop321 said:
Moonshell for the DS was made by a japanese person, There are some good people out there for homebrew :)
Yah, Infantile made a great piece of software there. And the best part is that he open sourced it so it became the base of mutiple flashcart OSes.

I am looking forward to see what the Japanese HB scene is going to put in.

Hello to everyone.

I had been busy with other stuff and it seems I'm not able how to make all this effort to move. Anyway, I'll try something again in this week.

Some Japanese people and people knowing the Japanese culture said me I did all this wrong and should have been asking what to do and help instead give my proposal to make, not imposing my ideas before. I think cultural differences could be a problem here, language barrier is a problem but some people interested also known both languages so isn't really a problem.

Anyway, I think this is something that matters to both the Pandora community and the sellers. I would like to know the opinion of it and if Chip can help about making the Pandora Japan group to succeed, as he's the PR of OpenPandora.

It seems Google Group isn't a Japanese friendly site, so I would like to know what to do to improve communication between the Japanese people interested on the project. I did read some people are already involved in the making of a wiki and Meloncoke is involved on it, it could be nice to contact them and see what it can be done to make it more "official".

Regards.

Back