Why not to by GPD

Its a real shame I have a GPD Win but I barely use it because any kind of 3D acceleration makes it run red hot in a half hour. I'd love a more reliable device at the same power and price point since I basically want it for basic indie games (VN's, RPG Maker and Gamemaker games) and older 3D titles.

Its a real shame I have a GPD Win but I barely use it because any kind of 3D acceleration makes it run red hot in a half hour. I'd love a more reliable device at the same power and price point since I basically want it for basic indie games (VN's, RPG Maker and Gamemaker games) and older 3D titles.

I don't have a problem with heat on my GPD Win, I usually run it with fan at max and I have coretemp to keep an eye on temperatures and they rarely seem to exceed 75C under full power, but usually they stay in the high 60's even when I'm playing Fallout New Vegas. More of my issue seems to be related to weight of the device, and the fact that the keyboard is uncomfortable, along with the rubber caps on the thumsticks to use is what prevents me from using it more frequently than I do. But it is nice to sit on my sofa and use it for Steam Game Streaming, too.

I must admit I did not like the GPD Win very much. Build quality, unusable keyboard and quite bad performance.

BUT:

The GPD Win 2 is really really great for me. The best gaming handheld device by far I've ever owned.

I hardly can think of any improvements. Backlit keyboard maybe. Thats all. (Heat never was an Issue for me as i do not push the device ofer its limits with too demanding games.

But for my usage its perfect. Great for all kind of emus (I use retroarch) and perfect for playing Windows games such as the CIV-Series, FIFA, Rocket league etc.

I love it and also cannot complain about quality issues (hope this stays so)

To be fair, the Pandora had plenty of issues too. I've heard plenty of stories of units being bricked from plugging in the wrong type of barrel charger, the cases having a bad habit of cracking whenever they felt like it, and fragile analog nubs. As difficult as the Pandora and Pyra are, cramming x86-64 hardware and Windows onto a handheld is even harder in some respects, and the Win 2 is still a huge step forward. I think it's just a question of not buying brand-new tech products that are innovative in their field right as they come out for some of GPD's later devices - the Win 2 is much better, but still had issues in its first revision that were fixed in later revisions. Even the Switch had plenty of QC issues with its first batch.

The Phawx is struggling with his

What is he struggling with? Looked to me he's running a pretty demanding game at 30fps at 10w and stays under 70c. Was there something I'm missing or is it just the high temp?

I run mine at 4w normally, I dont go anywhere near that hot, but also nowhere near as demanding in what I'm running.

Its always going to be a trade off in processing power demand vs thermals. Things that dont/can't run stuff like that won't produce that kind of heat. My cell stays under 40c, but I can't run a dx11 game on it.

Last edited:
What is he struggling with? Looked to me he's running a pretty demanding game at 30fps at 10w and stays under 70c. Was there something I'm missing or is it just the high temp?

I run mine at 4w normally, I dont go anywhere near that hot, but also nowhere near as demanding in what I'm running.

Its always going to be a trade off in processing power demand vs thermals. Things that dont/can't run stuff like that won't produce that kind of heat. My cell stays under 40c, but I can't run a dx11 game on it.

Sorry, that was my attempt at sarcasm.

Back