Why the Android hate?

I don't see what I would gain from android on pandora :

Native Pandora emulators are great and run better on pandora with Angstrom than on a beefier hardware running with Android.

I don't care about Netflix, it isn't officially available in France.

I don't use dropbox, I tend to use OwnCloud (for which we have a native client).

Most of the android games I like have been ported to pandora. (and most of them where ports of PC or console games :p )

So as long as I can have my pandora android free, do whatever you want!

Back then, the reason why some of us were aggressive toward people wanting to put Android on pandora, was because many of them wanted to make it the default Pandora OS…

Last edited by a moderator:
Kodeln! Id love your support! Even if you dont sign it, id love for you to check it out http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/13614-petition-requesting-canonical-to-release-ubuntu-for-android/

I don't see what I would gain from android on pandora :

Native Pandora emulators are great and run better on pandora with Angstrom than on a beefier hardware running with Android.

I don't care about Netflix, it isn't officially available in France.

I don't use dropbox, I tend to use OwnCloud (for which we have a native client).

Most of the android games I like have been ported to pandora. (and most of them where ports of PC or console games :p )

So as long as I can have my pandora android free, do whatever you want!

Back then, the reason why some of us were aggressive toward people wanting to put Android on pandora, was because many of them wanted to make it the default Pandora OS…

I personally just love to have as much choice and options as possible, whether it be Emulators , native, Android, Ginge etc.

I personally just love to have as much choice and options as possible, whether it be Emulators , native, Android, Ginge etc.
Glad to hear it! Id love if you signed the petition. If we can get this ball rolling, a whole new option will open up in the world of open source operating systems.

I agree with many others here. There is no "Android Hate", there is mostly "Android indifference". 

Well, as I said - I'm completely indifferent :) I can't really see the point of ubuntu-on-android at all. I mean: Yes, I'd much prefer an android device to an iOS device. But that would be for the kind of thing you'd use a smartphone for, not for the kind of thing you'd use a full computer for. Putting an ubuntu shell on top of an android core would mean the worst of both worlds - you'd lose the immediacy of the smartphone UI, and you'd put another level of code translation beneath the desktop, making it slower and less powerful. What would be the point? Making sure that a machine with a ubuntu UI would be as sluggish as a Win8 one?

I really don't get the point.

Well, as I said - I'm completely indifferent :) I can't really see the point of ubuntu-on-android at all. I mean: Yes, I'd much prefer an android device to an iOS device. But that would be for the kind of thing you'd use a smartphone for, not for the kind of thing you'd use a full computer for. Putting an ubuntu shell on top of an android core would mean the worst of both worlds - you'd lose the immediacy of the smartphone UI, and you'd put another level of code translation beneath the desktop, making it slower and less powerful. What would be the point? Making sure that a machine with a ubuntu UI would be as sluggish as a Win8 one?

I really don't get the point.
That's why I have the petition. To make it Open Source! :) That way, we could use other distros, not just Ubuntu. The code could be changed in ways to optimize it. If one company keeps it closed source, yes it will be crap. But if it were open to the world than it could be edited till the cows come home. The point of the patition is not "launch a product" but instead "allow developers to do what they do best by giving them access to this code that's already been written"

EssoAir, on 28 Jun 2013 - 9:13 PM, said:

Kodeln! Id love your support! Even if you dont sign it, id love for you to check it out http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/13614-petition-requesting-canonical-to-release-ubuntu-for-android/
Please, stop that, you're becoming annoying with your proselytism.
Like Moxie said I'm indifferent, that means I don't care about getting android on pandora.

Why would I sign that, since I don't care and won't use it?
Sorry about that. Im not trying to be spammy. I just want to get as many signatures as possible. And if you look at the link, I specifically state this ISN'T directed at the Pandora. This is simply to make a certain piece of software that already exists open source. I think you can I and everyone else can get behind making more things FOSS. If you don't want to support it, I don't want to bother you. But it really is very easy to do if you change your mind

That's why I have the petition. To make it Open Source! :) That way, we could use other distros, not just Ubuntu. The code could be changed in ways to optimize it. If one company keeps it closed source, yes it will be crap. But if it were open to the world than it could be edited till the cows come home. The point of the patition is not "launch a product" but instead "allow developers to do what they do best by giving them access to this code that's already been written"

Yes, well, but you're still missing the big question: Why should I care about putting Ubuntu (or any other distro - the distro is not the thing here) on top of an android stack when I can run it in itself and get a lot better performance? Unless I'm running on a device where the ordinary distribution wont run, in which case I'm probably on a phone (come on - there is nothing in the world that doesn't have a debian port), which in turn means that I'd be a lot better off with pure android which is already fitted to the hardware (expecting touch screen and accelerationmeter, not expecting keyboard and mouse and big screen). Why?

/>
/>

/>Yes, well, but you're still missing the big question: Why should I care about putting Ubuntu (or any other distro - the distro is not the thing here) on top of an android stack when I can run it in itself and get a lot better performance? Unless I'm running on a device where the ordinary distribution wont run, in which case I'm probably on a phone (come on - there is nothing in the world that doesn't have a debian port), which in turn means that I'd be a lot better off with pure android which is already fitted to the hardware (expecting touch screen and accelerationmeter, not expecting keyboard and mouse and big screen). Why?
Tbh, I don't know what kind of use cases will come up yet. But literally it's so easy to sign the petition, that in the time I'm writing this post I could have done it a second time (except I can't because it doesn't work that way -- trust me, I'd sign 1,000 times if I could). It doesn't actually require you to make an account. Honestly I don't know how "useful" it will be, but for what little effort goes into signing a petition, I figured "hey, why not" So even though you don't see yourself using it, I'd still really appreciate the 5 seconds of your time. ;)

OK, I'll spell it out:

* I like being able to run a good amount of linux distros on my machines. At the moment I have Ångström, Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint on machines that I use regularly, and I have used Slackware, Gentoo and probably a bunch of others that I'm too senile to remember. I'm very distro agnostic.

* I like the fact that if I were to get a tablet or smartphone, I can get it with Android. I like also that I can get different flavours - Stock or Cyanogen or whatever. For a phone OS, it is the only one I would tolerate. 

* I'm quite against mixing those two, unless you can convince me that there is a use case in which it didn't make both sides of it significantly worse. So far, you're saying "well, sign my petition, it is quick" as a way of argument, and it really is no argument. Making the idea of a crap bastard of desktop an phone os'es die a slow forgotten death in a code repository somewhere sounds like a brilliant idea to me. If you want to convince me otherwise, tell me why it is a good idea. Don't keep telling me that it is so quick and I won't feel a thing, because that's not really helping. 

It's easy to burn down the house of your neighbors… that doesn't mean you should do it.

OK, I'll spell it out:

* I like being able to run a good amount of linux distros on my machines. At the moment I have Ångström, Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint on machines that I use regularly, and I have used Slackware, Gentoo and probably a bunch of others that I'm too senile to remember. I'm very distro agnostic.

* I like the fact that if I were to get a tablet or smartphone, I can get it with Android. I like also that I can get different flavours - Stock or Cyanogen or whatever. For a phone OS, it is the only one I would tolerate. 

* I'm quite against mixing those two, unless you can convince me that there is a use case in which it didn't make both sides of it significantly worse. So far, you're saying "well, sign my petition, it is quick" as a way of argument, and it really is no argument. Making the idea of a crap bastard of desktop an phone os'es die a slow forgotten death in a code repository somewhere sounds like a brilliant idea to me. If you want to convince me otherwise, tell me why it is a good idea. Don't keep telling me that it is so quick and I won't feel a thing, because that's not really helping.
Ok, sorry to bother you. I didn't mean to waste your time

Does that mean that you have no such case?
Oh, no. You just seemed upset and you seem to value your time a lot. Enough to argue with me for no reason ;) So it's not that I have no argument, but more that I don't think you actually care to listen but instead just want to be given more chances to shoot me down because it makes you feel good. Have a splendid day

You read my tone wrong if you think I'm upset. I'm actually very curious of why one would think such a hybrid be interesting?

There's enough interest in Android on Pandora today, you'd expect those already interested to be receptive to more streamlined switching of the two.

Not necessarily using Ubuntu for the base of the Pandora OS, but a more standard distro would be better than Angstrom for a new device.

Back