Wifi Clicking Sound

When I was little I could hear the beeping on TV remotes, but I don't hear it anymore. I guess my hearing has diminished. When I was little I was weird and paid attention to such odd things. :p

I don't personally have a pandora so I don't know if I'll hear the clicking, but I'll probably notice it if it does. :p

I've noticed this ticking noise on a couple of occasions, the rare ones when my kids aren't practising for future civil unrest and its possible to hear a pin drop. Seemed to be from the left side of the hinge, slightly in front of the light pipes.

MWeston said:

The wifi module has a switching power supply with external inductor to make most efficient use of the battery. Perhaps the odd inductor has slightly different quality and internal resistance numbers that makes it tick. I don't think anything will be damaged but I will bring it up with the manufacturer and get their opinion on the situation. Everything was designed according to specifications and always way above minimum requirements so it could just be variations in parts.

Just thought I'd check in as someone who has and can hear the ticking. Can't hear in a "normal" environment at playing distance, but can pick it up in a very quiet environment at playing distance...and can hear it at any time with the right nub up to my ear.

Anyway, posting this because the comment about the switching power supply for efficient use of the battery statement prompted me to do a little test. You can turn power management off on the wifi and the clicking goes away. Toggle it back on and it comes back. Just thought I'd mention in case it helps to track down a root cause...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back