Wifi in minimenu

rellikevol

Still Fresh
When I toggle my wifi in the mini menu and it says my wifi is enabled, how do I choose which hotspot for it to connect to and put in the password? It never pops up and I can't seem to locate the screen. I don't have this problem using edsktop but I like the minimenu a bit more.

Mini menu doesn't wifi very well. You need to switch to XFCE to connect it first for now. Skeezix (awesome designer of mini menu) is right at this very moment struggling to figure out a good way of connecting from mini menu. He's also come up with a lot of additional features.

I have this issue also.

When I start up my pandora in minimenu I can't set up my wifi connections,

But, if start up in xfce then switch gui to minimenu when I toggle wifi in minimenu I get a pop-up asking me to enter a password, usually...

Unlock Keyring

Enter password for default keyring to unlock

The application 'NetworkManager Applet' (/usr/bin/nm-applet) wants access to the default keyring, but it is locked

... I can then enter my password and access the internet in minimenu.

This leads me to believe that xfce is starting up a few programs that allow me to connect to my wifi setup that minimenu doesn't.

The fact that programs started by xfce aren't closed before going into minimenu is actually a flaw I think, minimenu should remain lightweight and close any of these unnecessary processes, but whatever programs are left running when I switch between xfce and minimenu that help me get the wifi working could/should probably be told to start when booting straight into minimenu and then I wouldn't have to go to xfce to connect to my wifi.

Last edited by a moderator:
I experienced the described problem on my Pandora, already was familiar with it from Ubuntu on my laptop, and I almost have a Pandora adapted solution for it, but the last important step fails. Help appreciated!

1. Switch to the xfce environment
  2. Right click on the WLAN icon
  3. Select "Edit connections"
  4. Select tab "Wireless"
  5. Select your wireless network
  6. Click "Edit"
  7. Scroll down. As the window is too tall to fit on the screen, you can move it by holding down the left shoulder button and dragging the window with the stylus. (Hint from here)
  8. Tick the checkbox "Available to all users".

Sadly the last step is not possible, as the checkbox cannot be altered (greyed out). I tried to directly invoke the program (alternative to steps 2-3) as sudo with

Code:
sudo nm-connection-editor
but also then this option remains unavailable.

That should probably do it..

But we've hadded 'nm-cli' to the latest hotfix beta, which is a command line tool for operating wifi connections; minimenu will operate it and provide a very basic GUI for you, which shoudl make it all work.. (ie: nm-cli shoudl allow use of your password wallet, for instance.)

But the above sounds about right, too..

I'm really lsow lately, RL is seriously kicking my rear, and will only get worse for me (in terms of free time) .. 2 months or so till twins come :)

jeff

I'm really lsow lately, RL is seriously kicking my rear, and will only get worse for me (in terms of free time) .. 2 months or so till twins come :)

jeff

RL? Righteous Lady? Anyway, when your twins come you can forget everything other than feeding, changing and dreaming of your next sleep, trust me! :D

@skeezix: Thanks for your answer!

So this issue has already been dealt with. Fine!

I will try the hotfix as soon I have a suitable SD card,

or if I find a way how to boot from USB flash drive meanwhile.

For the sake of knowledge, still:

Why is the checkbox "Available to all users" not available?

I can eliminate that it is a permission issue as it also was unavailable via sudo execution.

So is some software component missing?

Another question: Where can I track the changes of minor hotfixes?

The major ones have their changelog at OpenPandora.org > Community & Support > Updates & Firmware, but within OpenPandora.org/firmware/ and the downloaded archive itself, I could not find any appropriate changelogs.

Therefore my approach was to look into the protocols of the version management system, git in our case, and tried to spot it in the right section through some supposed keywords: network, nm, nm-cli.

Is this the way to go? Or is there a better way I'm not aware of?

Hey I'm still having this issue even with HF6 installed, I have to dance around with Xfce to enable Wifi enter pwd, then drop back to minimenu. Is there a easy fix?

Would a 'how to use wpa_supplicant' link do?

Oh, I just thought some zenity+iwlist+wpa_supplicant voodoo might do the trick. I need to poke it around in the evening.

Hi,

I've tried nmcli but didn't find out how it really works... --help gives no useful hints, at least for me ;)

So I've decided to give wicd a go: it seems to run fine on the Pandora, but even when I provide it with the good passphrase, it keeps telling me that it can't connect to my AP :(

Have you any idea why ?

Bye, Magic Sam

If you having trouble with connecting wi-fi through mini menu,use hotfix7 alpha 2 firmware with that your wi-fi will be enabled and password screen will pop up in few seconds and you will be connected in no time.

Why do we need to supply a password If we already have the WPA preshared key saved with the wifi config?

Back