Wifi Support

CloudStrife

Still Fresh
Ok, this is a suggestion, I'm pretty sure many people know about these Wifi SD Cards (http://www.davespda.com/reviews/other/sdsdiowifi.htm) thats been out for quite a while. I'm wondering aside from the big setup to get wifi on the gp2x, do you think its possible to write drivers for the 2x to use wifi sd cards? I don't understand anything when it comes to developing so I'm not clear if its extremely tough to do so. So is this a possibility? Or will it never happen :( Also, I believe the zodiac took support of the wifi sd cards (not sure if that helps)

You've got far more chance of using USB Wifi (which has already been done and works) than SDIO Wifi.

Squidge said:
You've got far more chance of using USB Wifi (which has already been done and works) than SDIO Wifi.
Ooo... can you enlighten me, Is that portable though? I've seen two methods of going online with the 2x and one was carrying a small router, and another had some octopus thing going with wires coming from everywhere. As for me, going to google USB wifi!

Last edited by a moderator:
CloudStrife said:
Ooo... can you enlighten me, Is that portable though? I've seen two methods of going online with the 2x and
A few people on this board used to sell dongles which plugged into the ext port and gave you usb host which you could then plug your wifi stick into. I don't know if they still do, but if your handy with a soldering iron, you can probably do it quite easily.

The official alternative is the "octopus" as you call it - a gp2x cradle which comes with 4 usb ports, and usually requires 2 mains adaptors to function correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked up on the stuff, I understand what you mean, I'll look around for some ext port usb hosts see if I can get them, if not I'll have to do it my self i guess. What I was looking for is portable, meaning carrying it around, but the octopus won't give me that freedom. It sucks the 2x is such a wonderful device, I hoped it would be easier to use wifi. Eh, the 2x isn't dead yet :D theres always the future lol

EDIT: ARTaylor.co.uk sells ext usb hosts, but it mentions (This adaptor can only supply a maximum of 100mA to USB devices.
- Check your application before buying! (WiFi requires more than 100mA), basically that would mean I cannot carry it around and use the net on it like I would want, because I would be limited to use an ac adaptor when using a wifi stick? Or am I just completely wrong?)

Back