Wikipedia For Gp2x?

fargo

Wouldn't be nice to have the whole wikipedia on your gp2x :blink:

I think it is doable given Wikipedia 1.0 Project. The torrent download is about 900MB only. We only need a better e-book reader for gp2x and virtual keyboard for searching maybe.

What do you think?

hell, the whole 2x Wiki on the 2x would be awsome! (but if its anything like 900mb's idk?)

i am absolutely a wikipedia junkie! i think it would be best to start with xreader, instead of starting from scratch. i am a horrible beginner programmer, but i would love to beta-test the hell out of it. i was just thinking yesterday that this needs to be done.

We even can utilize the gp2x' built-in apache and php support for this! Doing so would turn gp2x into a mini portable Wikipedia server :D

A program that could sync up with the real wikipedia would also be interesting =)

Ryan2065 posted on Dec 9 2006 at 09:09 PM said:
A program that could sync up with the real wikipedia would also be interesting =)
Sure, but would be difficult to implement.

The suggestion is to use the "offline" copy of wikipedia.

Last edited by a moderator:
fireflly2442 posted on Dec 9 2006 at 09:46 PM said:
Fargo posted on Dec 9 2006 at 11:52 AM said:
We even can utilize the gp2x' built-in apache and php support for this!
Does it really have this?
Yes :p

cowai posted on Dec 9 2006 at 02:47 PM said:
This is so cool! Who's up for it?
this place never ceases to amaze me. I'm new to this scene though i've been a fan of emulation for years. Every day when i think i've heard/seen the coolest thing/idea for this system someone totally redifines it....i'm having mental orgasms every 24 hours or so

wohoo :) its like having the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy in rl

Ok guys, here is the plan!

I. Requirements:
1) Simple HTML parser engine which can retrieve files from SD, render simple formatting TAGs, and follow links
2) Apache Local Server.
3) Experience in PHP. SQL, and XML
4) Web crawler such as HTTrack

II. Implementation:
1) Download and extract http://download.wikimedia.org/enwiki/lates...rticles.xml.bz2 (1.8GB html version without images. Images would add another 79GB!)
2) Write a PHP script to process data XML files (better if you convert XML to MySQL)
3) The encyclopedia's front page is just a list of the alphabetic. Each letter links to another two-letters alphabetic index. For example, letter P on the front page links to a page with PA, PB, PC, PD, etc.
4) Each index on second page links to a dynamically generated page which lists all articles that begins with the chosen index. For example, clicking on PC on the second page will list all topics for articles beginning with PC letters.
5) Clicking a topic on the third page opens the actual article.
6) Run HTTrack and let it create an offline copy of the local wikipedia.

The local copy is the one that will be browsed on GP2X. It is easy for this copy to occupy 4GB SD card (we are talking about text only!)

Instead of storing the page as normal HTML files, one may import SQLite with compressor module into GP2X. That would save about 50% of the space needed for storage.

Parkydr posted on Dec 10 2006 at 01:39 AM said:
We've been here before.
The one you refer to is Wikipedia 1.0 Project which is founded by SOS Children. The version that fits on a single CD is Wikipedia 2006, which consists of 2000 handy-chosen articles. Wikipedia 2007 is 900MB and consists of about 4000 articles.

My plan is to get all Wkikpeida articles, which are 1.8GB "compressed".

A friend of mine tried downloading the wikipedia archive one time. It's basically just a single XML file which crashes your computer if you try to open it. Obviously you need some kind of program or parser to use it.

fireflly2442 posted on Dec 10 2006 at 02:23 AM said:
A friend of mine tried downloading the wikipedia archive one time. It's basically just a single XML file which crashes your computer if you try to open it. Obviously you need some kind of program or parser to use it.
That is right. Please read step 2 in Implementation above.

Back