Will I Be Able To Run Lands Of Lore 123 On Dos Box?

GuchaRU

Will I be able to run Lands of Lore 123 on pandora with dosbox?

CODE

few links:
http://www.computergameplayer.com/lands-of-lore/
http://www.sentinel69.com/

sorry, if its stupid question or offtopic but I dont care.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you don't care if it's a stupid question or offtopic, you're kind of a cunt

The irony is, it's not off-topic nor a completely stupid question. Might have been better asked in one of the existing DOSbox threads, though.

I have a really strong need to play though lands of lore again. I never did play 2 or 3. I also want to play ultima underworld some more, didn't get it to work last time I tried.

You are lucky, ScummVM is going to support it. It's in early WIP status, but periodical progress is being made.

Look at their wiki for more info.

PoisonedV said:

Bit of an irony there, since your post wasn't the opposite of stupid, wasn't on topic, and you didn't seem to care...
/off topic
As to the game, can't we estimate it's playability based on cycles? The estimate of what the Pandora can do was what, 2000?

'Chip' said:
'PoisonedV' said:
Behave yourself.
Thankyou chip. This is a perfect example of one of those 'instances', so thanks for not closing because I would like to voice my opinion on this topic.

Anyways, back to the subject. I believe LOL1 should definitly work. I was able to get the disk version of LOL1 to run quite well on my gp2x. I never tried the others, as there are way too many cds to rip.

So is the pandora capable of running all three, its hard to say. If one could get all the cd images ripped to the right format, and to mount correctly in dosbox, then maybe.

I loved the series, and still have all the discs. SO if it is possible, I can't wait.

DSR

Fortunately DosBox has built in throttling. If I recall correctly, the Pandora is expected to be able to run DosBox at 3000 cycles. So start up DosBox on your PC, set it to 3000 cycles, and see how well your game of choice plays. Figure out the absolute minimum cycles needed to play. Maybe shutting off sound and music will let it play better? You can easily experiment right now, no need to wait until the Pandora arrives.

WizardStan said:
Fortunately DosBox has built in throttling. If I recall correctly, the Pandora is expected to be able to run DosBox at 3000 cycles. So start up DosBox on your PC, set it to 3000 cycles, and see how well your game of choice plays. Figure out the absolute minimum cycles needed to play. Maybe shutting off sound and music will let it play better? You can easily experiment right now, no need to wait until the Pandora arrives.

If you check this thread, the highest they got was 2000 cycles (3000 was the PSP). Is there a post somewhere else with additional info?
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=44356

Hi.

I took a look at Mobygames, since they got pictures of the box covers of most of the games they have listed. In the back shots, you can see the system requirements. Here they are:

Lands of Lore 1:

CODE
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/lands-of-lore-the-throne-of-chaos/cover-art/gameCoverId,68314/

Lands of Lore 2:

CODE
http://www.mobygames.com/game/lands-of-lore-guardians-of-destiny/cover-art/gameCoverId,27529/

Lands of Lore 3:

CODE
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/lands-of-lore-iii/cover-art/gameCoverId,27533/

If the pictures are too small, and if you are using Firefox, just press the Ctrl key and the Plus key of your numeric keypad and it will zoom in the entire page.

As you can see, the first game should run with no problems; it runs under DOS and requires a 386 CPU. The second game... I am not sure. It can be played under DOS, but there it says that it requires a 75 Mhz Pentium CPU (according to what I have read, the Pandora has enough power for DOSBox to emulate a low-to-mid 486 CPU). The third game... I highly doubt it can be run at all, since it requires Windows 95, DirectX 6.0 and a 166 Mhz Pentium CPU. Sorry.

Good luck; bye.

'dsraa' said:
Anyways, back to the subject. I believe LOL1 should definitly work. I was able to get the disk version of LOL1 to run quite well on my gp2x. I never tried the others, as there are way too many cds to rip.

So is the pandora capable of running all three, its hard to say. If one could get all the cd images ripped to the right format, and to mount correctly in dosbox, then maybe.

I loved the series, and still have all the discs. SO if it is possible, I can't wait.
DSR
I can dl all 3 CD somewhere and make proper images to run under dos box if anyone want, but as LastPucho said we will never be able to run lol 3 coz it requires win 95, though...
But lol 1 and 2 should work ok, especially lol 1.

===

@PoisonedV
as for "if you don't care if it's a stupid question or offtopic, you're kind of a cunt", if you are wish to call me cunt look at youself in mirror and maybe you find it there.

'BackAssward' said:
If you check this thread, the highest they got was 2000 cycles (3000 was the PSP). Is there a post somewhere else with additional info?
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=44356

Don't think so, just me getting confused, and optimistic.

'LastPucho' said:
I took a look at Mobygames, since they got pictures of the box covers of most of the games they have listed. In the back shots, you can see the system requirements. Here they are:
System requirements should only be used as a guide, not a tell-all. World Of Xeen, for example, runs great on a 386/33 which should be well within the realm of 2000-3000 cycles on DosBox, and yet I have trouble running it below 10000 for some reason. I suspect other games which list high end 486s in their requirements might even run well at lower cycles than suspected. It's odd what will and won't work as expected sometimes.

Makes me wonder what "cycles" are exactly. With so many x86 CPUs that DOSBox could be emulating I doubt that they have attempted timing models for all of them and given options. It's probably something more like one instruction = one cycle (and the cycles value corresponds to a number of instructions per some time interval, my guess is milliseconds). A given CPU, especially pre-386 x86's, won't really execute a certain number of instructions per time interval in any kind of fixed way. It'll depend a lot on what kind of instructions are used and the memory characteristics.

Let's say my guess is correct and cycles correspond to instructions per millisecond. So 2000 would be 2 million per second. Under some circumstances that will be all a 386/33 can muster, but that it could execute 10 million per second instead (about 3 cycles per instruction) is not at all unrealistic, in fact I imagine that under ideal circumstances it could do even more than that.

Point I'm trying to make is that the minimum requirements aren't necessarily off, although if anything in some cases they'll be higher than what's really necessary, and of course it's a pretty subjective quality (what's "good enough" in terms of playability). What could be off is a formula converting a processor spec to DOSBox "cycles."

Yep. And maybe tweaking some of the DOSBox configuration parameters we can get a little bit more efficiency; who knows. And I wonder if the performance of DOSBox set to an X number of cycles in a PC will be exactly equal to the performace of DOSBox on the Pandora with the same settings...

I guess the best thing we can do is to test those (and other games) on the real Pandora hardware through DOSBox. And, hopefully, we'll be able to do that soon :D.

Back