Will It Be Able To Run Sdxc When It Comes Out?

@ j6cubic, second exodus

You guys seem to know quite a bit more than me when it comes to file systems, but I still think I should stress that a memory card's FS should have absolutely nothing to do with the device it is being used on. Having the device format it to its FS (ext4, zfs, whatever) seems ridiculously flawed, since that card will now be unusable with older devices. We know modern operating systems should support them all, but a card isn't always locked between one camera/pmp and one computer... my phone and camera used to share an SD card. As much as we all hate it, i think we all pretty much have to stick with fat32 for the time being if we want our media to work universally.

I really do think that's dumb lacking compatibility with newer devices, which really sucks IMHO.

The solution to compatibility is simple as far as I'm concerned. Install Linux on every computer you own, and carry a USB drive with a live Linux install on it. (This is sarcasm) You could just plug your Pandora up in USB slave mode or use wifi. Tansfer files to the card through the device. That way card format doesn't matter to the host anyway, the Pandora is handling all that stuff and you can be happy with whatever format you choose. Happily, I get to run Linux everywhere that it matters, so I can format all my cards and external drives to whatever I want.

It probably won't be much different from the 2 gig limit on SD cards, I have several 4 gig SD cards that work fine on everything I've tried them on, even though they officially are out of spec.

cbox said:
It probably won't be much different from the 2 gig limit on SD cards, I have several 4 gig SD cards that work fine on everything I've tried them on, even though they officially are out of spec.

I also believe the same is going to happen with >32GB SD card.

IMO 32GB card are still a tad too expensive. It will probably take some time until 64GB card become somewhat affordable.

People are probably just worrying too much. All the new device shipping now still use SDHC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back