Release Will it be possible ?

NEON3569

Still Fresh
I know that many people do not want to hear it, but i have a question about the pandora Operating System, will it be possible to run Win XP on it or something else?

I´m sorry about my english, but i am a German.

NEON3569 said:
I know that many people do not want to hear it, but i have a question about the pandora Operating System, will it be possible to run Win XP on it or something else?

I´m sorry about my english, but i am a German.

Tachchen, Du bist nicht der einzige Deutsche hier, an Deinem Englisch ist nichts auszusetzen :)

XP isn't possible, because it is x86 only(Pandora is ARM). Even if it would run, it would be too bloated. Angström offers everything you need in a handheld optimized way.

I think here are just more germans around :) wie man sieht
Theoretically WinCE could work. But I would prefer using of ubuntu etc.

Danke für die schnelle Antwort. Thanks for the fast answer.

can i use wine on the linux from pandora so how i use it on my Linux-desktop pc to run windows applications?

Wine just emulates an windows core. You need an windows installation and Windows is compilied for x86.
Was hast du den genau vor?

Do you not have a computer with windows on it that you could use to run any Win programs you need? there are acceptable substitutes for almost all of them on Linux. (insert German)

mkinzler said:
Wine just emulates an windows core. You need an windows installation and Windows is compilied for x86.

actually you don't need a windows installation: the problem is that win programs are compiled for x86 too, and will not run

there were talks about writing winCE version of wine for arm, but I don't think that there is anything runnable yet, and of course it would only run software compiled for arm.

wine: http://www.pandorawiki.org/FAQ#Can.27t_ ... s_games.3F

"Can i run Windows XP" badly needs to be added to the wiki. This is not a full UMPC in the sense that it has an ARM, not x86 (standard in PCs and Macs) processor as ARM is much much more efficient and much more powerful in a small form factor, thus making it much more suitable for a small device such as Pandora. Windows and normal PC Windows apps require a x86 processor.

you may be able to run Windows CE, but normal Windows apps for PCs cannot run. EVER (only apps for Windows CE specifically could run, provided CE even runs at all.) not with any type of software solution except x86 emulation (Wine Is NOT an Emulator) could ever run a closed source PC game, which will be very slow. Think QEmu / Dosbox / Bochs and similiar projects. Windows 95 runs inside Bochs on the gp2x, but took 7 minutes to boot. I imagine it'll take 2+ minutes on the Pandora still.

This is where Linux and open source really have an advantage. It's easy to recompile something for ARM, so long as hardware can run it. Pandora will have an abundance of opensource software for that reason. closed source ports and apps will be few and far between. this is a good thing.

Actually, somewhere on old forum ( http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showforum=61 ) I read similiar thread about wine on Pandora. Yes, it is not work now. But IIRC WINE is capable translating x86 instruction to other platform if this translation will be implemented. Something that run on SUN's stations provide Windows "emulation". I'm afraid, but I can't recall it exactly, so someone good skilled in search and tech, can search old forum or WINE documentation :)

Oh, for Germans with low English language skill, can be useful use the German forum: Pandora und GP2X Forum * Foren-Übersicht

Last edited by a moderator:
peca said:
Actually, somewhere on old forum ( http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showforum=61 ) I read similiar thread about wine on Pandora. Yes, it is not work now. But IIRC WINE is capable translating x86 instruction to other platform if this translation will be implemented. Something that run on SUN's stations provide Windows "emulation". I'm afraid, but I can't recall it exactly, so someone good skilled in search and tech, can search old forum or WINE documentation :)

Oh, for Germans with low English language skill, can be useful use the German forum: Pandora und GP2X Forum * Foren-Übersicht

WINE - Wine Is Not an Emulator <-- is it not clear enough ? it simply lets Linux to run a Windows PE and its DLL and map Win32 API and kernel calls to Linux ones. If a Windows PE is for X86 target, so a X86 Linux is needed to run this PE. The CPU is not emulated, it is executed as such by the CPU of linux, probably using the x86 virtual mode found in 386+. Pandora cannot execute x86 so WINE is pointless.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the big amount of answers, now i know that it will be impossible to run it on the Pandora.

HLIDE: I'm sorry, you are right. I was confused by something.

Only way maybe done by other project, similiar to Darwine from PowerPC Mac OS X, witch goals are:
The Darwine project intends to port and develop Wine as well as other supporting tools that will allow Darwin and Mac OS X users to run Windows Applications. There are two major phases to this project.

The first phase is the port of Wine to Darwin/PowerPC with X11 (XFree86).

While the basic compatibility is there as Darwin is largely FreeBSD, there is the hurdle of its Mach kernel which uses the Mach-O format rather than ELF. This part has been achived with success. It means that WineLib is now working on Mac OS X, and that developers should be able to recompile their Win32 Apps using WineLib and make them work in Mac OS X.

The second phase is to then integrate in WINE the QEMU binary translator.

Additional supporting tools for launching Windows applications from the desktop and an integrated installer are desireable items for the package (like OpenOffice is doing).

This is distinguished from simply using QEMU to run Windows because there is no Windows here. Just WINE and QEMU to run Windows applications directly under X. That will enable vastly better performance, better integration, and easier administration.

But this is really long run, i guess.

Back