Will Pandora Feature Rumble?

timofonic

GP Mafia
What about having rumble in Pandora? I think it could be quite interesting as provides interesting feedback, since games to instant messaging or when receiving an email.

Rumble is used in systems like PSX and N64, so this could make that feature of the original systems available using the emulators.

Please consider it, new systems are featuring rumble and even handhelds are featuring like DS using a cart for it.

I don't like the idea. Vibrations...lower hardware lifespan...meh. Never did understand why people like rumblepacks.

Squidge said:
Vibrations in a controller - fair enough. Vibrations in the main unit - bad idea.
Why? Nintendo DS has a cart for it and both systems lacks mechanical parts that can be damaged by vibrations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, but the Nintendo DS feedback cart wasn't very powerful either. And it would end up consuming extra power. Being able to turn off rumble would be a must have.

Squidge said:
Vibrations in a controller - fair enough. Vibrations in the main unit - bad idea.
Tapwave Zodiac has rumble. Works well. Ads maybe. . . 1% to the enjoyment of a game. I don't mind at all that the Pandora doesn't have it. But it CAN be done.

Wegg said:
I don't mind at all that the Pandora doesn't have it. But it CAN be done.
I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said it's a bad idea. Long term vibrations can rattle stuff lose. It's unlikely, but it could affect some of the connections and present intermittant faults.

Squidge said:
Wegg said:
I don't mind at all that the Pandora doesn't have it. But it CAN be done.
I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said it's a bad idea. Long term vibrations can rattle stuff lose. It's unlikely, but it could affect some of the connections and present intermittant faults.

I think chips are designed for tolerate vibrations and TI ones probably are of good quality. Why should fail if the system is good made?

Mobile phones uses a powerful rumble, mine is years old and runs perfectly.

I'd like to point out that the type of rumble you'd get in a portable device would be quite weak and it wouldn't feel like a gun or car or any specific object, it would just feel like a phone vibrating. The vibration in game controllers use a much larger weight and give a much more tactile feedback.

I doubt vibration in Pandora would be of any real benefit.
I expect someone could hack it in using the spare ports inside, though.

We've already had this discussion. No rumble. Eats up too much battery, space and unit lifetime.

And as a note about the tapwave zodiac, I dunno about you but I remember a large percentage of these handheld having problems with their cold soldering process which led to the chips (processor, audio chips, etc.) coming loose, I dunno about you, but I personally feel that vibrations in addition to the faulty cold soldering method may very well have "killed" many a zodiac (I fixed 2 that had this problem, open it up, push on chips until I could get it to boot stably THEN put a bent up match book cover ontop of offending chips and reassemble console to make the system work... horrible solution...)

don said:
Just add a ******* ********* ***** to your pandora if you're so convinced you need it and that it doesn't harm your machine... Some people...
Please, can you be a bit more polite? I found that reply quite disturbing and offensive. I suggest you to moderate that message with some more asterisks at least.

Hooka said:
And as a note about the tapwave zodiac, I dunno about you but I remember a large percentage of these handheld having problems with their cold soldering process which led to the chips (processor, audio chips, etc.) coming loose, I dunno about you, but I personally feel that vibrations in addition to the faulty cold soldering method may very well have "killed" many a zodiac (I fixed 2 that had this problem, open it up, push on chips until I could get it to boot stably THEN put a bent up match book cover ontop of offending chips and reassemble console to make the system work... horrible solution...)
Sorry, I didn't know that. It seems that was another one of the causes of the failure of Zodiac along with the stupid DRM and poor distribution.

The majority of systems emulated on the Pandora will have never utilised rumble in the first place, and for those that did, rumble often felt more of a pain than a genuine benefit to the games it supported - Then again, $ony thought that too with the ps3, but then did a major u-turn and reintrodued dual shock pads.

IMO though, rumble in a non-mass produced handheld is asking for trouble in the long term.

oh my god think of the children!
They could read offensive words like "vibrating dildo" and be harmed for life!
So pleas, think about that first when you mention a vibrating dildo next time.

Vimacs said:
oh my god think of the children!
They could read offensive words like "vibrating dildo" and be harmed for life!
So pleas, think about that first when you mention a vibrating dildo next time.
Actually I am pretty sure that there has been previous threads exactly talking about the children. Stating a lot of kids who somehow ended up with a GP32 or GP2X could be on the forums, and that it isn't needed in the least to talk as rude or as cruse as that user did.

I agree, the verbal assault wasn't warranted.

Maybe timofonic has had a particularly disturbing experience with a vibrating dildo, and thats why the comment?

Squidge, please not continue with this. You are a great scene developer and I respect your works.

Maybe I can be annoying sometimes, but it's not my intention.

Back