Will Pandora Feature Rumble?

Hooka said:
And as a note about the tapwave zodiac, I dunno about you but I remember a large percentage of these handheld having problems with their cold soldering process which led to the chips (processor, audio chips, etc.) coming loose, I dunno about you, but I personally feel that vibrations in addition to the faulty cold soldering method may very well have "killed" many a zodiac (I fixed 2 that had this problem, open it up, push on chips until I could get it to boot stably THEN put a bent up match book cover ontop of offending chips and reassemble console to make the system work... horrible solution...)
Or you could just remove the screen, buttons, and casing from the unit and throw it in an infrared oven until the solder starts to melt (timing is key; only use this technique if you have nothing to lose).

Anyways, I'm against vibration, it just takes up too much battery life, and the motor dies after a year of heavy use (well, not completely, but it feels like there is a fly caught under your hand). Not to mention the battery drain.

Last edited by a moderator:
OFTLOG this isn't Oprah!!!

Here's the forum ending answer (that ironically won't end this discussion)

WILL THE PANDORA HAVE VIBRATING FUNCTION (In America at least, we call it Force Feedback)?

-No

WILL IT BE POSSIBLE TO ADD FORCE FEEDBACK TO THE SYSTEM?

-Yes; It is also possible to add additional buttons a TV tuner, and other stuff to the system. IIRC, we still have the OMAP with everything in it so you can (with less effort than many other hardware) add components and create a process for it, and make compatible with your software.

*Passes everyone out a tissue

Yeah, i was sure too that force feedback is what you get mainly on dedicated arcade cabs like sega rally, daytona etc

I'd have said that Pad Vibration was just known as a Rumble Pack in the U.S (or is that Rumble Pac!"

trooper said:
Game_over said:
Can i have two tissues please, I`m feeling a bit sticky aswell. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Sure

*Passes Trooper an extra tissue for his stickiness. :)

Yes that is what force feedback is by definition, my mistake; It's just simply rumble or "shock".

Now I need a tissue :(.

*Snatches back the tissue from Trooper, uses the tissue and gives it back to him. :)

Although I like rumble, I don't like the idea of chancing anything happening to my handheld's well-being just because I wanted it to vibrate about as much as a cell phone.

A solution for vibration in the games that are emulated would be to shake the screen. (Would provide a different experience, but would prove very useful in games where the rumble is just used to alert you to something, like the Stone of Agony in Ocarina of Time) Of course, thus would be up to the individual Emu devs to code.

-God Ginrai

You know, I thought for a moment you were advocating sticking the screen in a vibrating mount that buzzed around independent of the rest of the electronics. Then I thought a bit harder - nice idea :)

Game_over said:
trooper said:
Game_over said:
Can i have two tissues please, I`m feeling a bit sticky aswell. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Sure

*Passes Trooper an extra tissue for his stickiness. :)

Yes that is what force feedback is by definition, my mistake; It's just simply rumble or "shock".

Now I need a tissue :(.

*Snatches back the tissue from Trooper, uses the tissue and gives it back to him. :)

I`d already used it just before you snatched it back, I won`t say what for though. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Vibration is very good for alarms.

On the zodiac vibration can be turned off easily. Inside games or in preference's sound menu. They are GREAT in silent mode.

Tobriand said:
You know, I thought for a moment you were advocating sticking the screen in a vibrating mount that buzzed around independent of the rest of the electronics. Then I thought a bit harder - nice idea :)
Thank you. I've been putting a lot of thought into what would make the best emulation experiences, as a way to keep me busy since I have to wait so long for the pandora. ;)

-God Ginrai

I've often wondered about vibration myself. It being that I plan on using the pandora for more than a gaming machine (i.e. productivity as well), it would be fantastic to have a vibrate setting. Hooking into the sound driver so that you could have it vibrate with / instead of sound. I remember hearing that there would be extra pads for development/hacking so it seems at least viable.

This seems to be a pretty small and decent motor.

Any takers?

'AnonymousTipster' said:
I'd like to point out that the type of rumble you'd get in a portable device would be quite weak and it wouldn't feel like a gun or car or any specific object...
Whereas the rumble you get in a console is JUST like the feeling of a gun shooting you or a car hitting you? :p

Meh I've never seen the point of rumble.

Anyway nobody's really pointed out the blindingly obvious point yet, that is it's FAR TOO LATE to change the design of the Pandora!

So you didn't notice that this thread was a year old? ;-)

Jonn's post looks interesting from a DIY point of view. Cute little motors. Not my cup of tea though.

Imo rumble adds ~0% to gameplay experiences.

For games like Ocarina of Time it would be nice if the emulator could emulate the rumble pack and display a yellow pixel or so in the corner when the rumble-feature should get activated. But no need for real rumble...

'Gruso' said:
:blink:

ok im gonna go back to bed

sorry folks!

'Gruso' said:

Jonn's post looks interesting from a DIY point of view. Cute little motors. Not my cup of tea though.
I think God Ginrai's screen shake solution would actually work incredibly well, and is something that should be integrated into psx4pandora (as an option, of course) and hopefully into any upcoming N64 emu.

Back