Will This Umid Kill Pandora

'Benjiro' said:
At 5:40, o look, its a pen he's pulling out off the M1. Whats he going to do with it? My god, he's touching the screen with it Must be some fetish? The pervert... O wait, the screen seems to get existed by this, and things happen on it. *lol* :)
The previous poster pointed that out. I suppose in your rush to be an arse and continue trolling you missed that. Maybe you can go find an M1 forum and fanboy around there.

Last edited by a moderator:
'lingenfr' said:
The previous poster pointed that out. I suppose in your rush to be an arse and continue trolling you missed that. Maybe you can go find an M1 forum and fanboy around there.
Just to point this out to you, when i first started my post, there was no "previous" poster, just your post, but as i wanted to get my facts strait before i submitted my post, so it took more time. If you call this trolling ...

Lets see, 2 posts about the M1, something i did not even knew existed before this topic. And i'm a fanboy... The pot calling the kettle black.

Its need to see that the Pandora community is still as close minded as before. Lets put blinds before our eyes, and expect that there exists nothing else. All hail the Pandora. All hail our supreme overlord. That more to your expatiations?

O and before your spawning any crap that this discussion does not belong here, then where else do people need to go to talk about the Pandora vs any other gaming able pocket able device. Let me guess, anywhere else but where you are reading right? You Sir, you are the fanboy and the troll.

There really is not talking possible on this forum about other devices, before some jackass turns up, acts like a moron trying to point out things that can be found out with 5 seconds google, like that it has no touchscreen, and then acts up again. Normally i don't like to insult people, but in your case Sir, i will make the exception. Go back whatever black hole you crawled out from troll boy...

And this is my last post on this subject. Have fun acting like a big shot boy...

If you can't play nice, I'll take your thread away.

'lulzfish' said:
It probably won't work. LCDs don't usually try to go past the default resolution, so you'll probably be stuck at 640 by 480 with either stretching or letterboxing.
Usually? Show me one LCD that does that. LCDs are fixed resolution devices, they do exactly one resolution and mimic lower resolutions be doubling up on pixels per pixel leading to blurriness.

CRTs were able to accomplish it by varying where they put the cathode rays meaning that they could do more than one resolution in a legit fashion.

As for x86, it's overrated, the main reason it's still in use is that it happens to be the most common type of processor for most things. ARM isn't necessarily the greatest, but it is better tailored to the applications which have crept up in the like 30 years since x86s came into being.

The problem with Pandora vs Umid or even the Aigo XP ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfH7PZ2vvO4 ) is that Pandora is just taking so much damn time to get released that it's getting way less impressive and other devices are getting close, although in the x86 side.

When Pandora was announced, it blew away eveything known, but as time passes, devices are starting to appear that look quite nice. Battery life is still bad, but improving slowly, size is getting smaller every few months. Soon enough dual core atoms and Nividia ION will arrive and will make x86 pocketable gaming a reality, with thousands of PC games and already working XP emus ready for it, and if Pandora keeps getting delayed, it will lose the war before it even starts.

'oblivioner' said:
When Pandora was announced, it blew away eveything known, but as time passes, devices are starting to appear that look quite nice. Battery life is still bad, but improving slowly, size is getting smaller every few months. Soon enough dual core atoms and Nividia ION will arrive and will make x86 pocketable gaming a reality, with thousands of PC games and already working XP emus ready for it, and if Pandora keeps getting delayed, it will lose the war before it even starts.
It's not a war. Pandora isn't supposed to compete with Windows gaming. The only people who think Pandora is getting less impressive are the ones who learned about it via Engadget last year. The only reason people think products are obsolete within months, is that the constant flow of aggressively marketed "new" products fools them into believing it.

There's one thing Pandora has that x86 systems never will; this community. Pandora has several years of software evolution ahead it of it, and it's all going to take place right here on these boards. You won't find a place quite like this anywhere else. It's going to be a fucking awesome ride. :D

It's just another pretty handheld device that will be short lived until a better version comes to light. Then it'll be all forgotten. :eek:

'Tag5' said:
It's just another pretty handheld device that will be short lived until a better version comes to light. Then it'll be all forgotten. :eek:
I suppose thats technology for you - its always evolving in portability. I mean, take a look at size.

PDP11
TRS80
CBM64
Amiga 500
PC
Psion 3MX
Psion 5
Handspring Treo 90
Gameboy
Palm Tungsten
Gameboy Advance SP
------?
For me, either Pandora or UMID M1 (Probably this)

In the future some cloud device on an iPhone wrist device...(yes please)

The point is all system platforms are different in this case and games/apps take advantage of this. Thats why the arguments against the platform (in this case x86 for UMID M1) are strange. I suppose some people prefer the platform as opposed to what sits on the platform.

I prefer what sits on the platform - and this is why an x86 platform is the killer - as I see it for the Pandora. Why limit yourself to the great Amiga, the Megadrive, the SNES, PSX, ZX Spectrum...PDP etc. The most important platform for games and applications since 1992 has been the x86 PC. (I might accept the PS2 for game here). The Pandora would have been great a few years ago, but now we have the real opportunity of playing every great emulator and (apart from the GPU heany) game for the PC.

The Pandora is seen playing Quake all the time, well the UMID M1 will play Call of Duty (1) and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - as well as Half Life and Deus Ex.

In this case Pandora is not evolving its stagnating - the other devices (similar to UMID M1) are evolving as they offer everything the Pandora can do and more. (Granted no thumbsticks).

The pandora is offering no more than a quicker cpu for the same games and emulators the gp2x has been playing for years. The UMID offers something new and novel - portable Fallout and Baldurs Gate. Portable Age of Empires and Red Alert.

I dare say if Pandora was Atom based with XP Home more people would find it attractive - but then it would have to compete in the real market place - and other companies have beaten them to it by as much as half a year(!)

'Junebug7556' said:
'Tag5' said:
I suppose thats technology for you - its always evolving in portability. I mean, take a look at size.

PDP11
TRS80
CBM64
Amiga 500
PC
Psion 3MX
Psion 5
Handspring Treo 90
Gameboy
Palm Tungsten
Gameboy Advance SP
------?

The point is all system platforms are different in this case and games/apps take advantage of this. Thats why the arguments against the platform (in this case x86 for UMID M1) are strange. I suppose some people prefer the platform as opposed to what sits on the platform.

I prefer what sits on the platform - and this is why an x86 platform is the killer - as I see it for the Pandora. Why limit yourself to the great Amiga, the Megadrive, the SNES, PSX, ZX Spectrum...PDP etc. The most important platform for games and applications since 1992 has been the x86 PC. (I might accept the PS2 for game here). The Pandora would have been great a few years ago, but now we have the real opportunity of playing every great emulator and (apart from the GPU heany) game for the PC.

The Pandora is seen playing Quake all the time, well the UMID M1 will play Call of Duty (1) and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - as well as Half Life and Deus Ex.

In this case Pandora is not evolving its stagnating - the other devices (similar to UMID M1) are evolving as they offer everything the Pandora can do and more. (Granted no thumbsticks).

The pandora is offering no more than a quicker cpu for the same games and emulators the gp2x has been playing for years. The UMID offers something new and novel - portable Fallout and Baldurs Gate. Portable Age of Empires and Red Alert.

I dare say if Pandora was Atom based with XP Home more people would find it attractive - but then it would have to compete in the real market place - and other companies have beaten them to it by as much as half a year(!)

Why are you so stubborn? We don't want the pandora because it's on arm- we want it because of the benefits arm brings (among other reasons) but you don't understand that so you formulate an argument on incorrect assumptions. Beginner mistake., and that's what makes people angry, especially since youact so righteous about it. The other devices aren't "evolving" and the pandora is "stagnating" as you say. First of all, computers in the formfactor have been around for quite a while but they have been too expensive for the average consumer. So the MID isn't really evolving except for the prices which are receding, but not as fast as arm based devices. Devices like the pandora on the other hand are much more unique and much more development is being done on them. Your argument that the PC has been the most important platform for games is extremely misleading because although they rely on the same architecture, at some points the technology advances to another 'level' that would as well be considered a different console. In case you haven't noticed, backwards compatibility on windows pc's isn't as stellar as you seem to think. You also claim you have many, many years to play but you make the incorrect assumption that the games will work well on the hardware. with games being ported specifically for the pandora, they take use of the hardware in a very precise way, in the manner it was intended and therefore run well, because they have to. i gauntness you that no one is recoding games for the m1. many of the years of games you list have much higher requirements than it can handle. it also only has a keyboard and a touchscreen. why indeed would you want to play half life, medal of honor, or call of duty with that? of course you can take a controller, but at that point where are the benefits of a netbook? it's not quite portable anymore. you also make claims that these games will run well, where are the statistics? do you have framerates or battery impact for this stuff? the pandora offers more than what you claim- i dont know if you noticed, but the gp2x didnt have a dc emulator or a psp emulator or dozens of other things (part of whats great about the pandora is the dev community) portable fallout? there are a few engine re-implementations, some that work stupendously well and it might run on dosbox anyway. although, really, why would you want to play any black isle games on a handheld? they arent handheld games. they are meant for concentrated playing sessions- not something handhelds make sense to be used for, especially not with your 2 or 3 hours of battery life.

atom based with xp home? then it wouldnt be the pandora, it would be another shitty handheld with low battery life, a bad community, and inefficient hardware. As for competing in a real marketplace? You think the pandora doesn't? Of course it does, because despite the fact that its entirely different comparisons and chocies between the ds, psps, mid's and all that won't stop and will sway buyers.

I dare say you don't know what you are talking about.

'Junebug7556' said:
'Tag5' said:

PDP11
TRS80
CBM64
Amiga 500
PC
Psion 3MX
Psion 5
Handspring Treo 90
Gameboy
Palm Tungsten
Gameboy Advance SP
------?

Battery life and heat. Nah, I guess they don't mean any thing for a fucking portable do they, oh boy, I would love to come off my DS after 3 hours with sweaty hands.

And those games must be awesome, I mean playing MoH with only the keyboard, wow, that must be a right thrill!

Ugh.

Have fun with that Umid. Enjoy playing emulators on a keyboard, needing to go for more power every few hours.

100% agree with Junebug7556.

In the end, games are games. The platform that plays more the better. I'm a hardcore gamer, and whatever plays the games is ok and good for me, I don't hate x86 nor love ARM more that any other platform, the ones that gives the best gam¡ng experience gets my money.

BTW XP is quite robust for old pc games, besides xp has been around for almost 10 years, that's a lot of time of full game compatibility, and also Dosbox should work just fine.

This UMID device should be amazing for rpgs and strategy games, something where x86 pc shines, and touch screen with keyboard will do just fine. All the Baldurs, Icewind, Arcanum, Fallout, C&C, warcraft iii, starcraft, etc will do just fine there.

Some of you ask about performance in this device. Well does anyone know for real what can the Pandora play? We have seen some videos that don't show almost anything a current psp can do, psx, snes, cps2, etc. Only Quake gives a hint of what it can do. Right now I'm not impressed at all with Pandora but of course it's too early to tell.

The killer thing here is price. The umid thing will go for 600-700 euro without hsdpa, 800-900 with it, at least on release. Nothing can touch Pandora on that side.

I fail to see how the PC is the supreme gaming platform simply because of the huge amount of titles. How many of those games are fully optimised? How many of them require complicated installation and management of a complete windows XP system just to get them running? How many of those games have a well designed hand-held orientated front-end end?

A lot of you guys seem to want a minature laptop that fits in your hand, whereas i'm more interested in a well thought out handheld system that also acts like a laptop.

People want different things, but I certainly don't want to to have to install, configure and tweak every single game just to get it running. I certainly don't want to have to update my Direct-X! I can deal with complicated emulator setups as usually once you figure it out you can get all your games running.

'oblivioner' said:
100% agree with Junebug7556.

In the end, games are games. The platform that plays more the better. I'm a hardcore gamer, and whatever plays the games is ok and good for me, I don't hate x86 nor love ARM more that any other platform, the ones that gives the best gam¡ng experience gets my money.

BTW XP is quite robust for old pc games, besides xp has been around for almost 10 years, that's a lot of time of full game compatibility, and also Dosbox should work just fine.

This UMID device should be amazing for rpgs and strategy games, something where x86 pc shines, and touch screen with keyboard will do just fine. All the Baldurs, Icewind, Arcanum, Fallout, C&C, warcraft iii, starcraft, etc will do just fine there.

Some of you ask about performance in this device. Well does anyone know for real what can the Pandora play? We have seen some videos that don't show almost anything a current psp can do, psx, snes, cps2, etc. Only Quake gives a hint of what it can do. Right now I'm not impressed at all with Pandora but of course it's too early to tell.

The killer thing here is price. The umid thing will go for 600-700 euro without hsdpa, 800-900 with it, at least on release. Nothing can touch Pandora on that side.
1. you don't know any of these games will run well.
2. we have quake 3. im not sure if its on psp, but if it is i assure you it wont run well.
3. we have developers who think that the hardware is impressive enough to make it worth their while to develop for it, which obviously means quite a bit
oh, sorry, yeah, you are right, all old games work on xp. i mean, obviously sites like steam and good old games having to add compatibility layers, emulators, engine re-implemntations or massive fixes and comments on many a torrent whining about compatibility (pre-vista, even) show that!

You know what, any one who disagrees with me fucking sucks, and is wrong.

The Pandora is a better gaming system. Hands down.

EDIT: I would add reasons, but I don't have to.

EDIT2: Because I'm right.

'oblivioner' said:
What? If you had done a simple search of Youtube, you would have found videos of it emulating Genesis, SNES, PSX, playing Quake 3(which the PSP never will), etc.

Fishbong said:
I have the feeling that eventually Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment will be playable on the Pandora.
Don't forget Crysis.

'Fishbong' said:
I have the feeling that eventually Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment will be playable on the Pandora.
nah

Back