Win a K1 reverse engineered GBA

gibberish

Sorry if this is considered spam, I'm just trying to spread the word for anyone interested. The K1 has been in development for so long now, but it's finally being mass produced. In short, it's a reverse engineered GBA SP with it's own cart called the K-Card. It supports pretty much 100% of the GBA library including homebrew... just dump your ROMs onto a MicroSD and away you go. It also supports a bunch of emulators, TV Output, Multiplayer link (even with a real GBA), MP3 and more. This machine is unique in that this has never been attempted before... I've had a prototype for a few months now and it is awesome, streets ahead of any emulator available.

If you're interested in winning a free one, check the competition pages.

Cheers

Looks great! I'll see what I can do, the K1 looks fantastic (and from what I read, it supports multi-player) so I'm sold. Can one person submit more than one entry?

too bad between the original gba, the gba sp and the gbm they choosed the worst formfactor... I hope they'll release a K2 in either a gba or a gbm shell...

I also failed to find a price did they give a price target?

Looks great! I'll see what I can do, the K1 looks fantastic (and from what I read, it supports multi-player) so I'm sold. Can one person submit more than one entry?

Yup it supports multiplayer with either another K1 or a real GBA. You can submit as many entries as you like!

too bad between the original gba, the gba sp and the gbm they choosed the worst formfactor... I hope they'll release a K2 in either a gba or a gbm shell...

I also failed to find a price did they give a price target?

Yup I know, and I said the same when it was still in prototype stages. The problem is the Chinese love the SP case so you can buy them for less than $1 each, whereas the other cases are closer to $4 or $6 each.

No-one will tell me the price for whatever reason, we'll have to wait until it goes live on the site. I would expect it to be about $60 - $70 but who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting, but that's one story from 5 years ago. How many Nintendo compatible flashcarts and modchips are being manufactured in China today? Millions I would bet...

Anyway, let's not stray from the subject. This is supposed to be a happy thread about an exciting new (old) toy. Best of luck to anyone that enters... and for those interested in buying I'll try to find out the price asap.

All we can do is hope for the best, eh? I don't think Nintendo is going to focus their efforts on older technology (GBA) so I'm not concerned. But if this was "win a reverse engineered 3DS"... -.-

I will buy two, one to keep pristine and the other to play. And then I can retire my prototype which no longer has software updates (slightly different hardware to the finished product).

These GBA SP Clones have been around for ages.

Here's a vid on one of them

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZYZqxFOk8Yo?feature=oembed

There is literally bucket loads of these for sale on aliexpress and dealextreme and whole bunch of other places. The better ones have 2-4 GB of storage and a micro/mini sd card slot. They cost about $35. The can also run emulators.

If this thing sold for anything more than $40 it's dead in the water. Even the GBA clones dont sell well as people just prefer to buy a real GBA SP (Which can also run emulators via a EZ Flash cart) ewhich are about this price level these days (all be it second hand)

The only differentiating thing about this K1 is possibly that it is a HW clone and not internal emulation. I'm not sure on the other GBA SP clones as to there internals to comment on whether this is differentw. Still wouldnt be worth more than $35 in my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, if it's all it says, worth $35 and no more. More than that and you might as well by a real one.

So does this currently do anything that a real GBA can't, other than TV out? That is, is there any reason to buy this over a GBA and normal flash cart?

As I understand it this is capable of running the GBA CPU at up to 150MHz. That's a big improvement over what the GBA could do, but unless it also has a lot more memory what you can do on it will still be pretty limited. Even then, you'll be hampered by the GBA controls and very low resolution. And a 150MHz ARM7 is a lot slower than what you'll get in even really low end homebrew handhelds out today. I think if it came to perfect GBA compatibility and poor capability to do other things vs imperfect GBA compatibility (but features that only emulators offer) I'd rather take the former, or perhaps a DS Lite if I really wanted to play GBA games over everything else.

Back