Winblows Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstar1949

Still Fresh
I absolutely HATE HATE HATE Windows, but I tihnk it might be useful for somethings (like getting Skype going for example).

So, does anyone think it would be possible to get XP loading from the Pandora.

No, because Pandora uses a different type of CPU that is incompatable with XP. Send Microsoft an email asking for an ARM port if you like, but it's extremely unlikely they will humour you.

Why yes, of course. Seeing as how Windows XP is open source, a port to the Pandora should be trivial.

Also, while previous discussions of using an x86 emulator to run, say, Windows 95 on the Pandora reached the conclusion that it would take several minutes to load and only get 1~2 FPS at the most, XP should run fullspeed with no problems.

Only if you install Qemu because windows is x86 only. You would be better off using window 98 if you have to use an emulated system.

A better solution would be to get OS2008 from nokia working on the pandora if it is possible (for skype).

I tihnk this has been brought up before...

RedStar1949 said:
I absolutely HATE HATE HATE Windows, but I tihnk it might be useful for somethings (like getting Skype going for example).

lol. Please tell me this is a joke. This is just so reminiscent of that site (too bad it's in French), that's so clueless and overly stereotypical it can only be a troll.

EDIT : Oh wait, and no one has yet pointed out how ignorant the original poster is for not knowing that Skype is available on Linux? What's going on here you guys..

Last edited by a moderator:
ashdjones said:
No, because Pandora uses a different type of CPU that is incompatable with XP. Send Microsoft an email asking for an ARM port if you like, but it's extremely unlikely they will humour you.
Well, I was going to half-jokingly flame you by pointing to Windows XP Embedded - but even that doesn't run on anything but x86. So I'll simply say "You are right about no XP, (which is what the OP asked for) - but there is Windows CE, which does run on ARM. Still - good luck getting Microsoft to let you have a copy made for the Pandora."

Sometimes thinking about what you're going to say, and confirming your assumed knowledge *before* you post actually does help. I learned 2 things today, and it's not even 10AM. ;)

RedStar1949 said:

Hi,

There is an open source software similar to Skype, WengoPhone :)

Bye, Magic Sam

chad78 said:
Well, I was going to half-jokingly flame you by pointing to Windows XP Embedded - but even that doesn't run on anything but x86. So I'll simply say "You are right about no XP, (which is what the OP asked for) - but there is Windows CE, which does run on ARM. Still - good luck getting Microsoft to let you have a copy made for the Pandora."
As I understand it, Windows CE is an entirely different operating system written from scratch by Microsoft, although it does share a lot of the API of regular Windows.

Microsoft might code you a version for Pandora, but it would cost you. And then you'd have to license it out to every other Pandora user that wanted it.

Errr, I actually understood about the x86 architecture problem... but I thought that since 98 had been loaded on the PSP using a Linux bootloader, there might be some sort of work around. I forget the name of that bootloader, this was a while back. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

That's funny about Skype on Linux, I forgot about that... there isn't an ARM version though is there? Skype was just an example though of apps that are only available for Windows. I realize that Windows on Pandora would probably be laggy, I just thought that there might be some apps that one might want to get working that would be worth that *shrugs*

And all these people that are flaming need to grow up, what the fuck kind of community are you trying to build and how are we going to bring people in if every time someone asks a question you look to attack them and put them down?

RedStar1949 said:
Errr, I actually understood about the x86 architecture problem... but I thought that since 98 had been loaded on the PSP using a Linux bootloader, there might be some sort of work around.
Windows on the PSP is being run under an x86 emulator. It has been done with both Bochs and DOSbox, but neither of them are anywhere near usable. The fastest Windows-under-DOSbox setup takes over 20 min to boot, and even the simplest tasks are agonizingly slow. Trying to run anything more complicated than Minesweeper causes the system to grind to a halt. It was a proof of concept hack, nothing more.

And all these people that are flaming need to grow up, what the fuck kind of community are you trying to build and how are we going to bring people in if every time someone asks a question you look to attack them and put them down?

Proper forum etiquette would be to answer your question or to provide a link to the correct information. However, proper etiquette on your part would have been to read the FAQ or perform a forum search before asking a question. Considering that this is covered in the FAQ and has been brought up at least half a dozen times already, I'd say you got off easy.

Topic closed before the real flames begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back