Windows 10

Can someone help me upgrade a system I've recently inherited.. believe it or not I've never changed/updated an OS.

It's currently running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate but isn't activated, I do have a genuine Windows 8.1 Standard licence key though.
TBH, as a Windows user myself (flame me now), I'd stick with Win7. No need to worry about 8.1 or 10. I had no choice* when I bought my laptop - it was Win8.1 only (I did ask). I've got used to (and like) it, but I'd still rather 7.

* I know, I could uninstall Windows and go with a free OS like Linux, but I code in GLB, which is only available for Windows and it's my only pc.
It's for someone else & they want Windows 10 installed

TBH, as a Windows user myself (flame me now), I'd stick with Win7.
As someone that doesn't like windows, from a practical point of view I agree. Let the dust settle from the Windows 10 rollout and see if it is worth it.
Edit:

It's for someone else & they want Windows 10 installed
Tell them to hold off. If they pull a Veruca Salt just make sure to grab all the drivers, back up everything that is important, install the new OS, install the drivers, test everything and follow whatever instructions there are to upgrade to 10. I probably forgot a critical step.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell them to hold off. If they pull a Veruca Salt just make sure to grab all the drivers, back up everything that is important, install the new OS, install the drivers, test everything and follow whatever instructions there are to upgrade to 10. I probably forgot a critical step.
...Or just wait for them to stand on the scale and be judged as a bad egg. ;)

-Neelix

but I code in GLB, which is only available for Windows and it's my only pc
Yep, got to go where the tools of your trade are. Windows 7 isn't a bad choice.
If Win7 ever comes off my gaming desktop, it'll only be to Linux, as my need for Visual Studio at home certainly isn't as prevalent as it used to be.

I do wish I could understand how the Panorama that B-ZaR uses in PNDManager works though... but that's another story

I know, I could uninstall Windows and go with a free OS like Linux, but I code in GLB, which is only available for Windows and it's my only pc.
GLB = GLBasic? It works perfectly in Wine, I coded up a couple of Pandora demos just playing around with it back when they announced Pandora support (is that still a thing?)

I know, I could uninstall Windows and go with a free OS like Linux, but I code in GLB, which is only available for Windows and it's my only pc.
GLB = GLBasic? It works perfectly in Wine, I coded up a couple of Pandora demos just playing around with it back when they announced Pandora support (is that still a thing?)
I believe so... http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16799-announcing-glbasic-3d-platformer-reggie-world-for-pandora/page-2#entry393689

...Or just wait for them to stand on the scale and be judged as a bad egg. ;)

-Neelix
:D

Just make sure there is a song first.

OK, let's play a game. Linux Fans have to say something good about Windows and Windows Fans have to say something good about Linux. :D

I know it hurts and some may want to wash their mouths out with soap after but for the sake of peace this could be a nice start for Inter-OS-Relationships, right? ^^

I'm not a Windows "Fan" but user so I start to say that Linux is by far the better Server OS.

OK, let's play a game. Linux Fans have to say something good about Windows and Windows Fans have to say something good about Linux. :D

I know it hurts and some may want to wash their mouths out with soap after but for the sake of peace this could be a nice start for Inter-OS-Relationships, right? ^^
What I find sad is that you think this needs to happen... What I find sadder, though, is that there's people who really take this to heart.
As I use and develop on both Windows and Linux, I have likes and dislikes about both. Most of it is usually down to familiarity rather than functionality, though there are quirks in both that remain.

I find that when it comes to "usability" and "user-friendliness" Linux can still learn something from Windows (and Apple etc.) I don't mean the new touchscreen-optimized tiles of Win 8/ 10 by the way.

I find that when it comes to "usability" and "user-friendliness" Linux can still learn something from Windows (and Apple etc.) I don't mean the new touchscreen-optimized tiles of Win 8/ 10 by the way.

Honestly I think the reverse, Unix/Linux style of copy and pasting is a lifesaver for text editing, I miss it in Windows and Mac OS. And I can't really think of anything really bad usability wise with Linux outside that...  It's just familiarity that seems to be the gap for most people, when I'm using windows I feel restricted as I find that there is a bit more flexibility with *nix systems.

Not sure but for me, copy & paste works perfectly under Windows and I use it very much (usualy per keyboard shortcuts)

On the Pandora, it annoys me much more because for whatever reason, copy+paste just does not work if you close the program or window where you cut/copy from, so it seems there is no good "clip board" under Linux, at least not onto the Pandora OS. Or is this somehow fixable?

Not sure but for me, copy & paste works perfectly under Windows and I use it very much (usualy per keyboard shortcuts)

On the Pandora, it annoys me much more because for whatever reason, copy+paste just does not work if you close the program or window where you cut/copy from, so it seems there is no good "clip board" under Linux, at least not onto the Pandora OS. Or is this somehow fixable?
Don't close the window? Seriously though, some distributions seem to have a better handle on what people consider clipboard issues, I'm familiar with the quirks, so it doesn't bother me. What I was talking about is the highlighting and paste with middle mouse button method that is done in most unix/linux distribution.  It's far quicker and easier when working on large amounts of code. Plus the same "Windows" shortcuts are available too. 

Well, or close any program and you loose automaticly everything you have copied to the clipboard from there...really annoying. Why does the Pandora do this to me? Can't everything leave open on such a small screen just to be able to copy+paste it! It's little stuff like this that annoys me so hard, not only in linux of course, just in general.

Well there are some clipboard managers that can be installed that will give you a better experience. For xfce4 there is xfce4-clipman-plugin that you can install from most distro's repositories... there are a half dozen others as well. As for the Pandora I suppose it could be built and installed...

My office computer tried to update itself to Win10 last night. It failed but that didn't stop it from rebooting my computer anyway. I'm going to have to talk to IT today.

Well there are some clipboard managers that can be installed that will give you a better experience. For xfce4 there is xfce4-clipman-plugin that you can install from most distro's repositories... there are a half dozen others as well. As for the Pandora I suppose it could be built and installed...
I even need 3rd party tools to have a proper working clipboard? Lol, that's what I mean. I guess there is no way to set the standard Pandora clipboard to work as expected? That's sad.

I even need 3rd party tools to have a proper working clipboard? Lol, that's what I mean. I guess there is no way to set the standard Pandora clipboard to work as expected? That's sad.
That's what any linux distro is - a collection of 3rd party tools.   It's the specific selection of tools that make each distro  (and installation) unique.

-Neelix

Back