Windows 10

You can forcibly delete all files related to the Cortana app. It won't try to fix itself.
There's also this: https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking
I currently see quite a few failed connection attempts on my PC, but no active ones I've never asked for.

This looks like it just adds a bunch of domains to your hosts file, it's probably more sensible to just cut and paste them yourself.

There's a screenshot on that page that shows a bunch of checkboxes. How do you come to the conclusion that it just adds stuff to the hosts file? It does that, but also other things (like the hardcoded tracking IPs, which need to be blocked by the firewall instead).
It's a python script. If you don't trust the just-run .exe version, just take the source file and read it and then decide to run it or not. Not that hard.

It never ceases to amaze me how much work people are putting into their "consumer friendly OS" in order to make it run in an acceptable way.
Trollface-small-normal2pl7-1.png

Well it's the only OS I've gotten to run in an acceptable way without making machine configuration a part-time job. ;)

My Gaming Laptop did ship with Win 8.1 and I'm pretty happy with it.
All the games I want to play run well. Everything else will be done with Linux.

I don't want to upgrade to 10. Seems like a good choice ...

I currently have a desktop running Fedora and a laptop running Windows 7. I've had various microcontroller development that was better supported on Windows; several emulators where the version with the debugging tools is Windows-only; I've crossed paths with Visual Studio a few times; and I have a Windows-only USB oscilloscope that I bought before I knew to care about that (so sometimes I end up doing e.g. Arduino development on Windows just for physical space convenience).

All the time, I run into things that would have just worked on Fedora and give some degree of headache on Windows. I've used Unixkit / MSYS / Git for Windows tools / Cygwin / VMs at various points in time. A VM isn't well-integrated with the Windows system, and the bash terminal in the others just isn't nearly as nice as a real one. All of these options have things that don't work or will trip me up in some way, e.g. the version of GNU cp in the former 3 was really old and didn't have some option I needed. This new thing really sounds like it might be better. But maybe I hope for too much :D

Looks like I can upgrade until July if I decide it's a good idea. Better now than being an early adopter anyway.

I've been hearing that Microsoft already backported most of the Windows 10 spyware to Windows 7, and I've probably installed it all without paying much attention...

Looks like I can upgrade until July if I decide it's a good idea. Better now than being an early adopter anyway.
I have been forced into providing constant on call support for Windows 7 again (a family member's computer). So does this mean that 7 can be updated to 10 until July, but after that time it has to be purchased?

I've been hearing that Microsoft already backported most of the Windows 10 spyware to Windows 7, and I've probably installed it all without paying much attention...
I have heard this to. When the computer I mentioned arrived it had a fresh install of 7. I spent hours digging through information about what each of the listed updates do, and I still feel like I probably did a bad thing, despite skipping nearly all updates other than the security ones. I ran out of time to keep looking everything up, and just told the user not to install updates without me. At least I have a few more examples of things that MS does to show how predatory they are.

I still use a Windows 10 VM a few times a month (not by choice) and feel it might be acceptable for people that don't care about the things some of us are concerned about.

I'm using a cygwin based shell mixed with native tools as my main environment at work (for a long time, probably more than 10 years already, I guess). Only problem is that cygwin can't Ctrl-C a non cygwin subprocess (e.g. a native java process). That is annoying, but right now it isn't clear whether this would work any better on this new subsystem. What problems did you have?

I'm using a cygwin based shell mixed with native tools as my main environment at work (for a long time, probably more than 10 years already, I guess). Only problem is that cygwin can't Ctrl-C a non cygwin subprocess (e.g. a native java process). That is annoying, but right now it isn't clear whether this would work any better on this new subsystem. What problems did you have?

You can always use "tasklist" + "taskkill", them works even from cygwin

@HelenF : I'm curious to know your impressions after you played with it. I'm still not sure if it's possible to launch an xserver in there...

Back