Windows as well as Linux

Twimfy

OMG 3 years here!
Website
www.stctg.co.uk
I know this has little to do with GP32 (although it may as linux is supposed to be a better coding environment) but is it possible to have both windows XP and linux (such as redhat) running off the same hardrive, on different partitions?

Also is linux capable of running PC games and software designated for windows use, through an emulation type program? If so I may consider a complete switch.

is it possible to have both windows XP and linux (such as redhat) running off the same hardrive, on different partitions?

Yep - just make sure you have free (unpartitioned) space on your HDD and boot from the install CD. It will automatically detect and give you the option to use the free space, and will also create a boot menu for you. I use Mandrake Linux, and it is quality. I've got XP, ME and Linux booting off the same HDD.

Also is linux capable of running PC games and software designated for windows use, through an emulation type program? If so I may consider a complete switch.

There's a windows 'emulator' type thing called WINE, but it is slower than using windows for real, and has quite a few compatibility problems.

How techno-savvy are you? I sggest you use Partition magic to resize your current partition (after defragging!), installing linux, and trying it out for a bit. It's good, but there's no way I'd do a complete switch.

There's also a version of linux you can boot from a CD to give it a go....

go here for more info :-

http://freebies.about.com/library/weekly/aa100602a.htm

Have fun :D

Well when it comes to windows I'm extremely savvy so a new OS is quite a scary prospect (as I'll lose my savviness). The only thing that is making me hesitant about partitioning is that I only have a 20g hardrive, 15 of which is used on my current windows setup, therefore I'd have to go for the complete switch (I don't want to boot from CD every time).

I just wanted to know if I could install linux thats and still fire up Vice city now and again for a quick blast, I still have another windows PC in the house but its no good for games.

Oh I've just realised you said don't partition.......anyhoo I think I might just stick to what I know, I can't think of anything that it could give me that I don't have already.

you should give demo linux a shot first. Its got a pretty good selection of software concidering that it runs entirly off of a cd. Its a good idea if you are not sure about linux and just want to try it out. You drop it in and turn on the computer and it loads up. It will give you the chance to try linux out enough to know if its worth going through the trouble of repartioning and dule booting or switching to linux compleatly. I have both win2k and linux 8 on my machine right now and I dig it. I use redhat a little but I don't think its ready yet for use as a desk top os. Thats just my opinion, I do use clark connect linux on my server and love it. It makes a far better server os than windows could ever be.

Back