Os From Linux To Windows.

I

i_am_a_noob

I set up our old computer that nobody uses as a linux OS(Debian). But now my brother wants to go back to windows since he "uses" it. I thought it would be just as easy as putting in the recovery disk that it came with and wipe the drive and reinstall windows. After the process was complete linux still boots up, but broken and the ability to use the command aptitude has gone and left the building. Is there a way to go back to windows with/without reinstalling linux?

i_am_a_noob posted on Jul 19 2006 at 07:07 PM said:
I set up our old computer that nobody uses as a linux OS(Debian). But now my brother wants to go back to windows since he "uses" it. I thought it would be just as easy as putting in the recovery disk that it came with and wipe the drive and reinstall windows. After the process was complete linux still boots up, but broken and the ability to use the command aptitude has gone and left the building. Is there a way to go back to windows with/without reinstalling linux?
Have you got a real windows install CD? If so, boot off that and as part of the install you can delete all partitions and start from scratch.

Edit:
There is another way but I can't post that here as it involves sharing, ahem, software. PM me if you cannot delete those pesky partitions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good show WarmFluffyUK. Yes you really have to reformat that drive. It is ususal that your recovery disk did not prompt you to format your drive. All the ones that I have do. It usually says "unrecognized partitions." Reformat.

To reformat what do i do? If running Fdisk is similar i already did that.

Why do you think i have this name? I don't people to over estimate my ability.

I'll take all screaming that is thrown at me, and name calling. When i boot up the CD I have 3 options, Recover, About, and Exit. When recover is hit, i'm given two new options, Recover, and format and recover. I've done format and recover twice, what am i doing wrong?

i_am_a_noob posted on Jul 19 2006 at 08:01 PM said:
To reformat what do i do? If running Fdisk is similar i already did that.
Er fdisk (Fix Disk) is a DOS utility, and cannot be run correctly from an XP boot disk, it's easier to use the partition tool during setup. Fdisk went out with Windows 98 and it should stay that way.

You could boot from a DOS disk (i.e. DOS 6.22) but generally DOS fdisk has problems with dealing with NTFS partitions, especially extended partitions, and fdisk will have no idea what do do with Linux partitions as it will simply list it as a NON DOS PARTITION and not allow you to touch it.

I know that you can run a basic version of fdisk from the XP recovery console, but that does little more than sort out MBR (Master Boot Record) faults etc.

i_am_a_noob posted on Jul 19 2006 at 08:19 PM said:
This is a windows Me :( recovery disk.
Then even more so, you need something to delete everything.... I have built a little disk that blitzes the first 64K block on ALL hard drives in a system, this should clear all partition info and allow you to start a fresh. want it?

Thank goodness we have WarmFluffy. All I would do is tell him to format the drives, he would ask 'How' and I would reply

'um........Go buy a XP install disk'

Actually On topic.I have a partition magic boot disk for these uses. I just no longer have a floppy drive...

This computers probably worth as much as an XP install disk :)

sam fisher posted on Jul 19 2006 at 08:27 PM said:
Thank goodness we have WarmFluffy. All I would do is tell him to format the drives, he would ask 'How' and I would reply

'um........Go buy a XP install disk'

Actually On topic.I have a partition magic boot disk for these uses. I just no longer have a floppy drive...
Hi sam :)

I've got tons of time, whenever it's convenient for you it will be convenient for me.

i_am_a_noob posted on Jul 19 2006 at 08:26 PM said:
Yes please, how will i acquire it?

I will post the disk image as well as an EXE to create it here tomorrow. You will need a blank, er, gulp... Floppy Disk.

I have about 30 floppys all in there original packaging from about 6-7 years ago :)

i_am_a_noob posted on Jul 19 2006 at 08:39 PM said:
I have about 30 floppys all in there original packaging from about 6-7 years ago :)
Okay if you haven't sorted it out by tomorrow morning, I will give you the HD wipe software. Please remember this will wipe EVERY IDE hard drive in the system, so disconnect any drive you want to live another day :D.

Back