Os From Linux To Windows.

i_am_a_noob posted on Jul 19 2006 at 08:46 PM said:
When tomorrow, cause I don't live in the UK.
Was I am postring this at 9:03PM, and I will try my best to post the link to the disk tomorrow at 8:30AM(ish). Er can you work it out, as flip me I can't :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I'm a little late but here's the download :)

KillDrive.zip

Two things are in the zip:
1. DSKCLONE.EXE - the program used to create the floppy from an image
2. KILLDRV.DSK - the image of the kill drive program.

TTFN<
Clare.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 19 2006 at 03:17 PM said:
i_am_a_noob posted on Jul 19 2006 at 08:01 PM said:
To reformat what do i do? If running Fdisk is similar i already did that.
Er fdisk (Fix Disk) is a DOS utility, and cannot be run correctly from an XP boot disk, it's easier to use the partition tool during setup. Fdisk went out with Windows 98 and it should stay that way.

Actually fdisk is named for "Fixed disk." Back in the day, that's what they called internal drives. It doesn't "fix" as in repair them, it's "fixed" as in "immovable" and it's not just a DOS program. Several Unices have it too, including the ones that predate DOS. ;)

For some reason, MS decided that it was just too handy to have it handy on NT-series OSes when their stupid software wouldn't load into the GUI and let you get to "computer management." These days I just use slax (or another linux liveCD) in those situations.

Stupid MS.

Is it just me thinking or is Linux so much more easier now to install than Windows? Most of your more popular Distros are just boot and install. :huh:

darkman posted on Jul 21 2006 at 09:18 AM said:
Is it just me thinking or is Linux so much more easier now to install than Windows? Most of your more popular Distros are just boot and install. :huh:
Not sure I agree with you there. Normally Windows is just boot and install. You can even do an unattended install with Windows, you just boot off the CD, insert the floppy with a WINNT.SIF file on it and walk away! I'm sure linux has something similar though.

I think the problem here is purely partitioning, and even Linux requires that stage of the build. However, saying that, Linux partitioning tools are better than Windows as Windows doesn't understand Linux Partitions. You should still be able to delete them using Windows though as they show up as NON DOS or similar. The final straw of this post was the little floppy I created to wipe the lot, as it looks like something had gotten (technical term here) screwed up :) .

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 21 2006 at 11:27 AM said:
darkman posted on Jul 21 2006 at 09:18 AM said:
Not sure I agree with you there. Normally Windows is just boot and install. You can even do an unattended install with Windows, you just boot off the CD, insert the floppy with a WINNT.SIF file on it and walk away! I'm sure linux has something similar though.

I think the problem here is purely partitioning, and even Linux requires that stage of the build. However, saying that, Linux partitioning tools are better than Windows as Windows doesn't understand Linux Partitions. You should still be able to delete them using Windows though as they show up as NON DOS or similar. The final straw of this post was the little floppy I created to wipe the lot, as it looks like something had gotten (technical term here) screwed up :) .
not that many pc's have floppy drives nowadays...

aapje89 posted on Jul 24 2006 at 12:50 PM said:
not that many pc's have floppy drives nowadays...
None of my PCs (not even my server) have floppy drives installed. If I ever need one, I plug in a USB floppy drive instead!

There are times when I need to use floppy disks, i.e. when I have no CD Drive plugged in as I'm using the secondary IDE for a 2nd drive as I need to image the drives with PQ-Deploy (Phew, what a mouthful).
The Floppy isn't quite dead yet. Yes you can do it with a USB Pen drive, but formatting one of them and making it bootable is a pain in the posterior.

I have 4x ide, is that special (?) and im using s-ata drives so... :p

I hate it when stupid windows functions "need" a floppy drive, or the fact that my sata drivers are shipped on a floppy :(

not that it matters anyway.

Back