Windows Display Issues.

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
Since my network card was playing up on ubuntu, I decided to reinstall windows 98se on my old computer. however, now I have, the display is set to 16 colours, and the res at 640 by 480, and i cant change it. I would try reinstalling my display drivers if I had any idea what video card I had. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Nova posted on Feb 26 2007 at 09:25 AM said:
Since my network card was playing up on ubuntu, I decided to reinstall windows 98se on my old computer. however, now I have, the display is set to 16 colours, and the res at 640 by 480, and i cant change it. I would try reinstalling my display drivers if I had any idea what video card I had. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Open the case and have a look at the card itself, there should be identifying information on it. Also write down the FCC ID number, that can be useful in tracking down the manufacturer's site. You should be fine once you get the proper drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Audit your pc using belarc it should be able to indentify your hardware though it really would be best to just open the computer and look at the name.

You could also try going into System Information (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information). From there go into Components and then Display (If you can't find anything under Display then you may need to check Problem Devices). There should be a line somewhere similar to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum\PCI\VEN_AAAA&DEV_1121&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\BUS_00&DEV_02&FUNC_00

Find the 4 character code located after DEV_ and enter it into Device Search on http://www.pcidatabase.com/. This should tell you what type of graphics card it is. If multiple results are returned then locate the 4 characters located after VEN_ and find the same code under Vendor ID in the results given previously.

Go Google and search for Aida32. this usually finds hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and unlike Belarc, you don't have to install it, it runs off the bat. Not only that, it has links to the hardware vendors site for downloads :)

Thanks guys, managed to sort it out, using your plethera of information.

Nova posted on Mar 2 2007 at 09:20 PM said:
Thanks guys, managed to sort it out, using your plethera of information.

You told me I have a plethora and I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone that he has a plethora and find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora.

Nova, you do not understand women. You cannot force open the petals of a flower. When the flower is ready,it opens itself up to you.

Plethora in this context would mean a wealth of information. I combined your hints together and got the drivers I required...

Main Entry: pleth·o·ra
Pronunciation: 'ple-th&-r&
Function: noun
Etymology: Medieval Latin, from Greek plEthOra, literally, fullness, from plEthein to be full -- more at FULL
1 : a bodily condition characterized by an excess of blood and marked by turgescence and a florid complexion
2 : EXCESS, SUPERFLUITY; also : PROFUSION, ABUNDANCE

Nova posted on Mar 2 2007 at 09:37 PM said:
Plethora in this context would mean a wealth of information. I combined your hints together and got the drivers I required...

... you also missed the source of the quote :p

Best. Bad movie. EVER.

TelcoLou posted on Mar 2 2007 at 09:39 PM said:

Best. Bad movie. EVER.

Man, I always knew you were cool.

saehn posted on Mar 2 2007 at 09:42 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Mar 2 2007 at 09:39 PM said:

Best. Bad movie. EVER.

Man, I always knew you were cool.

B)

Back