Windows Being Cropped On The Screen

ste_167

Website
Visit site
Any tips for getting round the issue of some windows being to tall for the screen?

I've been reducing font-sizes and setting the panel to auto-hide but taller windows still go off the screen, sometimes hiding OK, Cancel and Apply buttons.

Hold down shift (or alt, depending on certain situations) and drag the window with the stylus.

Unfortunately some apps still aren't quite tuned to the Pandora, and this is one of those "tweaks". Hell even on Desktop Linux some developers make assumptions about the size of the users display that they shouldn't. Anyways, hold shift - click and drag the window to reposition it. On other Linux machines this is normally Alt+drag, but Alt is a bit awkward to hit on the Pandora.

You can also rightclick on the window's representation in the task-bar and select "Move".

Now use the dpad to move the window around and press enter to confirm its new position.

john4p said:
You can also rightclick on the window's representation in the task-bar and select "Move".

Now use the dpad to move the window around and press enter to confirm its new position.

Excellent. Thanks for the replies, I had previously trying to move the window via the title bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question. I guess there is no consistent way that these kind of tweaks or tuning can be applied? It's just going to require digging through the code of each ported app and rearranging the windows?

mindlord said:
Hell even on Desktop Linux some developers make assumptions about the size of the users display that they shouldn't.
Nothing hurts me more than updating my kernel, finding my video drivers have been reset, and trying to navigate the nvidia-settings window at 320x200. Fortunately since I upgraded my monitor it defaults to a more acceptable resolution, but still...

WizardStan said:
mindlord said:
Hell even on Desktop Linux some developers make assumptions about the size of the users display that they shouldn't.
Nothing hurts me more than updating my kernel, finding my video drivers have been reset, and trying to navigate the nvidia-settings window at 320x200. Fortunately since I upgraded my monitor it defaults to a more acceptable resolution, but still...
Amen to that... I've learned to keep a backup of my X11 configs on a thumb-drive.

WizardStan said:
mindlord said:
Is Linux still that user-unfriendly? :blink:
I thought usability and "simple to use" was one of the main improvements of Linux in the last years, started with Ubuntu and so on. :)
Well, Haven't been really into Linux but off course I will be soon when my Pandora arrives. I hope I rule Linux and not Linux rules me. XD

It really depends on how odd your hardware configuration is. If you walk into [Insert giant department store here] and buy an off the shelf computer, odds are you're not going to have a single issue - except for the Winmodem if it has one.

In my scenario, I have my computer hooked up to a 61" rear projection HDTV, which doesn't fully support the resolution my GeForce 6600GT wants. So I had to do some creative Xorg.conf hackery to get it to display at 1136x664 (no overscan). Whenever I update Ubuntu, it overwrites my xorg.conf file and I have to replace it again to get my custom resolution back. No big deal.

What sucks is, the Nvidia proprietary driver used to support custom modelines, and had a great on-screen calibration tool a few versions back, but suddenly the feature got removed, much to my chagrin.

edited for clarity.

fusion_power said:
Is Linux still that user-unfriendly? :blink:
Windows has the same problem sometimes, except you can't move the window by pressing a hotkey and just clicking anywhere in that window. So if you want to call Linux user-unfriendly because this can happen, what do you call Windows where it can happen and you don't even have a quick and simple work around? ;)
(technically you can alt-space/move but that's not as easy as click-drag and not many people remember that it's even possible since they've grown so used to only being able to move by dragging the title bar)

Sphinxter said:
Working too hard, `Xorg -configure`, follow the directions.
Don't know if that was directed toward me, but if it was... tried it, doesn't work with my setup.

Back