Windows Ce For Pandora

dnlgreenwood

I'LL END YOU!!!
I saw that Android thread, and that got me thinking: what if someone could get Windows CE working on the Pandora? It supports ARM processors, and should fit on an SD card.

I think it's possible.

It would also allow one to watch viral videos, wouldn't it?

If no one else will, I WILL, once I get a Pandora to test it on!!

If Windows CE works on the Pandora 100%, I would be very happy. Any chance of this happening?

Windows CE is not open source like Android is (or at least is enough to get some portion of it running).. I don't really know the process of getting WinCE licensed for a platform but it probably involves $$.

Exophase said:
Windows CE is not open source like Android is (or at least is enough to get some portion of it running).. I don't really know the process of getting WinCE licensed for a platform but it probably involves $$.

Microsoft gives you a 180 day trial for it, though. A fully-functional 180 day trial! and certain websites COUGH, COUGH, [sub]piratebay[/sub], COUGH COUGH, offer it for "free."

http://www.microsoft...ce/default.mspx

Windows Embedded CE is a componentized, real-time operating system to deliver compelling experiences on a wide range of small footprint consumer and enterprise devices.

With the latest release of Windows Embedded CE 6.0 R3, device manufacturers can use familiar tools and innovative technologies to create devices differentiated by an immersive user interface, a rich browsing experience, and a unique connection to Windows PCs, servers, services, and devices. By building on the high performance and highly reliable Windows Embedded CE platform, device makers can bring their device to market quickly and efficiently.

Check out what the next version of Windows Embedded CE has in store with a solid Windows 7-based platform. Windows Embedded Compact 7 is available as a trial download under the Public Community Tech Preview program (Public CTP). Get the details and Public CTP download instructions for Windows Embedded Compact 7.

New features in CE 6.0 R3:

.baseTable { width: 448px; border: 0; background-color: #DAE9F2; border: 1px solid #87B4D7; } .baseTable th a { text-decoration: underline; color: #0066CC; } .baseTable a { text-decoration: underline; color: #0066CC; font-weight: normal; } .baseTable td { padding: 3px; margin: 0; border-left: 1px solid #DAE9F2; } .baseTable td.first { border-left: none; } .baseTable td.head { background-color:#BBD7E8; } .baseTable th { background-color: #BBD7E8; } .baseTable tr.odd { background-color: #F1F7FA; }Silverlight for Windows Embedded The power of Silverlight brought to Windows Embedded CE to create rich applications and user interfaces Internet Explorer EmbeddedInternet Explorer with panning and zooming capabilities and a customizable interface to optimize the browsing experience on devices Flash LiteBrowser plug in to render rich media websitesTouch and GesturePlug-in engine to enable natural input capabilities and gesture animations Connection ManagerInfrastructure technology to manage multiple network interfaces on the deviceMicrosoft Office and PDF ViewersApplications to render Microsoft Office Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Adobe PDF content on the device QQ MessengerDevice side client to connect to popular Instant Messaging service

Windows Embedded CE Overview:

Small Footprint300KB/ 700 ComponentsProcessorARM
MIPS
x86
SH4 (up to CE 6.0 R2) Real-time OS:32-bit Native Real-Time Support Unified KernelRun Win32 Apps:Customized Win 32 ApplicationsTrial6-month (180 days), fully functionalCost (USD)Development Tools: $995 (purchase through your local distributor) or a (MSDN Subscription)
Runtime Licensing: Runtime pricing is based on purchase volume (contact your local distributor for volume discount rates). Local taxes, tariffs, and other costs may apply. Support10-year product support life cycle
Windows Embedded CE Development Center (MSDN)
Partner Resources

Developers can use Windows Embedded CE to bring their consumer or enterprise device to life by delivering compelling user experiences and seamless connection to the world of Windows devices, PC’s, Servers and Services. Windows Embedded CE devices range from consumer electronics to missions critical industrial controllers including:

• Barcode and RFID Scanners
  • Connected Internet Devices
  • Digital Picture Frames
  • Digital Media Adapters
  • e-reader devices
  • Gaming Devices
  • GPS Devices
  • Handheld Terminals
  • Home/building Automation Gateways
  • Human Machine Interfaces
  • Industrial Controls
  • Intelligent Appliances
  • Mini-Kiosks
  • Mobile Point of Service
  • Monitoring Devices
  • Networked Media Devices
  • Media Servers
  • Portable Media Players
  • Remote Metering
  • Set-top Boxes
  • Smart Media Controls
  • Thin Clients
  • Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) Phones

Last edited by a moderator:
"watch viral videos"?

By which you mean "watch videos"?

Poerting an OS, to make a video player, is crazy talk :) I'd like a milkshake, too, but I'm not building a company to do it :)

jeff

skeezix said:
"watch viral videos"?

By which you mean "watch videos"?

Poerting an OS, to make a video player, is crazy talk
smile.gif
I'd like a milkshake, too, but I'm not building a company to do it
smile.gif

jeff

I mean online flash videos, like youtube.

i read that they dont work on the pandora (properly), am i misinformed?

Com64 said:
I mean online flash videos, like youtube.

i read that they dont work on the pandora (properly), am i misinformed?
You're not entirely misinformed. However, Skeezix's point was that porting an entire OS is not the most effective way to be able to watch flash videos. Instead, use a youtube video conversion service. Or install gnash. Or convince Adobe to hurry up and give us real flash. Any of those would let you watch youtube while being easier than porting a closed-source OS.

well, thats not the only reason I want Windows CE on a Pandora. actually, its a minor reason...

Spider => /\._./\

gnash is installed by default on pandora but it doesn't work with any of the browsers as far as I can tell. swfdec is there too with same issue. Someone will eventually get flash working...

craigix said:
What would you want to do with WinCE? Android supports Flash and could actually be ported.
Flash? Meh html4 has more of a future...

chris_c said:
craigix said:
What would you want to do with WinCE? Android supports Flash and could actually be ported.
Flash? Meh html4 has more of a future...

VRML is the future!

Windows CE does have some licensed games...but if you're after those, tricking Android into thinking the Pandora has a compass and accelerometer (and mapping said accelerometer to a nub) would be a much better use of developer time. There is even a head start there, because the 3 semi-active devs for the Archos 5 with Android (OMAP3 running Android) have done it and have a workaround for the appstore.

Most current accelerometers in mobile devices are triaxial. You can't map a triaxial accelerometer onto a nub. You'd have to map it onto two nubs and that'd probably be kinda awkward. How you'd map a compass is anyone's guess.

I feel like I should probably be posting this in the Android thread instead. Oh well.

sorry to hijack, but i find this simply too amusing. so i went on and read the RTOS validation document for CE 6.0 that ms so boldly link to as an official proof of RT-ness.

i'll just quote one paragraph from there:

We detected here the same issue as the one detected when changing the thread round-robin time slice.
A thread yield does not cause a recalculation of the next wakeup time of the thread. So when scheduling
two threads (by each time yielding the processor to the other thread), it can happen that the same thread
awakens twice without the other thread being scheduled first. This happens when the time slice of the
thread that is coming awake has just been finished and as such it is put back on the round-robin FIFO.
excuse me for not elaborating more here, but i'm still laughing my ass off here. oh, ms.

want an accellerometer? take a wii remote and tape it to the bottom of the pandora. THERE! problem solved.

For university students it might be possible to get several developer editions of Win CE for free via the MSDNAA.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/academic/

e.g. here (example catalog of TU Dresden in German Wikipedia):
http://msdn40.e-academy.com/elms/Storefront/Storefront.aspx?campus=tu_dresden_inf

Exophase said:
I feel like I should probably be posting this in the Android thread instead. Oh well.
Any thread is the android thread today, so no harm done :)

Back