Windows On The Pandora

wraggster

Certified Guru
Website
www.dcemu.co.uk
The EEEPC has become popular lately especially since now windowsp can run on it, now i know most hate windows but the pandora could become a rather appealing notebook/laptop for many casual users and especially those who wont move off windows.

Now is it doable to somehow with device drivers written for the pandora be able to run windows on the console. The Power of the console should make it an interesting propostion personally i think it would be awesome to say run windows even an older version like ME on the Pandora.

*guessing*

Non-intel CPU == not likely. (Possible the WinCE builder could produce something halfway usable, but you're talking Windows XP here..)

jeff

Hey wrag :)

wraggster said:
Now is it doable to somehow with device drivers written for the pandora be able to run windows on the console. The Power of the console should make it an interesting propostion personally i think it would be awesome to say run windows even an older version like ME on the Pandora.
Using either qemu or bochs to run windows will most likely be an option, however the end result may be like swimming through treacle while wearing concrete boots. :)

Also please never use the words awesome and ME in the same sentence again. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when macs had PowerPC processors, the Darwine project aimed at running windows apps through wine + qemulator. Theoretically, that should be possible with the pandora as well, but it would be very slow and may need a lot of work to get running. Running small windows apps might be possible, but not a given.

A virtual machine is probably out of the question because of the ram requirements and the fact that it would be even slower.

ReactOS doesn't even compile on ARM yet and it's nowhere near being a complete windows implementation.

Basically, NO

sindbad said:
Basically, NO
Not to mention that one should wonder WHY one would want even DO that in the first place... ;)

I know, I know... There's a lot of cool titles that you'd like to see on Pandora. Unfortunately, it's not
a decently realistic goal unless they're ported over as native Pandora titles. Nowhere near enough cycles for the stuff to run on here.

Lurkio said:
Using either qemu or bochs to run windows will most likely be an option, however the end result may be like swimming through treacle while wearing concrete boots. :)
What visual, that... And it strikes me as an excellent analogy to the bog-down that you'd experience here.

Also please never use the words awesome and ME in the same sentence again. :blink:

Heh... So, you experienced that migraine inducing cognitive dissonance when someone does that sort of thing too... ;)

What you see on smaller devices is Windows CE, which should not be confused with XP/Vista/NT/3.1/95/ME, different animal entirely, currently 5.0 I believe only supports arm, not armel yet but I would not rule out using it in the future, just wouldn't recommend it.

It's a GOOD THING that it can't run Windows...

Because then we'd end up with a violent and bloody war between Linux and Windows Pandoras, and where would we put all the dead bodies?

Well you know, I mean, like from a pure let's sell some damn hardware perspective. Who cares if they want to walk backwards naked through a corn field with it? Just accidentally happens to be able to run haiku and you've just sold 30k more units than you would have. If it bothers you from a religious standpoint void the warranty.

If the Pandora has a (L)user GUI and X for the rest of us, most people wont even notice it's running Linux.

EDIT: This is assuming they don't go hacking around in an X terminal

@Prophet BODY...Where would we put the BODY....singular, there aren`t that many MS fanboyz around here :lol:

@Spinxter, I too wouldn`t recommend it, I swear CE stands for CONSUMES ELECTRICITY, every gadget I own thats CE powered flattens batteries faster than an obese steamroller.....even when the device is turned OFF :eek:

and generally speaking

YOU CAN`T USE WINE ON ARM TO RUN X86 APPLICATIONS, afaik wine is a sort of abstraction layer that makes a windows app running on Linux think it`s seeing a windows filesystem/libs/registry etc, the programs are still x86 and need a X86 cpu to run ...Wine Is Not an Emulator :p

you would need to convert all the windows software to ARM code in order for it to run, for that you need the source, not gonna happen IMO

4.jpg
i couldn't resist...

javaJake said:
atomicthumbs said:
NO

As always, atomicthumbs has excellent to-the-point messages.

Never seen this done before with BBCode. Nicely done. :lol:

no, as always atomicthumbs has an annoying retarded unsupported message and all he did was make a large sized hyperlink.

No. Wrong CPU type (thankfully).

And to anyone that wants Winblows Mobile on this thing:

You forget that winblowsmobile:
-Hates if your horizontal resolution is larger than your vertical resolution,
-Hates RAM,
-Hates Flash memory,
-Hates you,
-Hates any standardized development toolset,
-Hates hardware that is not from 10 years in the future,
-Hates any kind of 3D hardware,
-Hates coprocessors,
-Hates analog controls,
-Hates optimized code,
-Hates programs if they try to access anything,
-Hates itself.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice that WinCE is, in fact, a word that pretty much describes the reaction people have had to it?

I mean, that must have taken someone in marketing with a dark sense of humour. And some very blind high-ups not to notice...

Back