Windows On The Pandora

sindbad said:
Back when macs had PowerPC processors <--clip!-->
..... Ahem?

One question... why exactly would you want to run Winblows on an Über Pwnage console over top of Linux?

Why not run Mac OS9 or possibly OSX 10.1? I find that Macintosh is a lot less of a resource hog than winblows...
On my Apple (check sig) i run OSX 10.4 Tiger (the second latest OSX), the machine is over 8 years old and runs it pretty well.
I ran Winblows on an x86 with the same specs (except GFX card) (and yes i know x86 and PPC are different) and i found that my Apple ran about twice the speed :D

Screw Winblows :lol:

Aaron.

Last edited by a moderator:
aaron11193 said:
sindbad said:
Back when macs had PowerPC processors <--clip!-->
..... Ahem?

One question... why exactly would you want to run Winblows on an Über Pwnage console over top of Linux?

Why not run Mac OS9 or possibly OSX 10.1? I find that Macintosh is a lot less of a resource hog than winblows...
On my Apple (check sig) i run OSX 10.4 Tiger (the second latest OSX), the machine is over 8 years old and runs it pretty well.
I ran Winblows on an x86 with the same specs (except GFX card) (and yes i know x86 and PPC are different) and i found that my Apple ran about twice the speed :D

Screw Winblows :lol:

Aaron.

Same here, I had an iBook G3 500mhz with 128MB ram and it ran Tiger quite a bit faster than my, er, 'Winblows' with 256 RAM and 800mhz x86. I doubt we'll ever see OS X on pandora. *maybe* Sheepshaver to emulate OS9 but I dont know if that has source/ linux vers.

well it is a fact that windows is crap... in fact i have completed my migration to linux recently thanks to a friends hardware modem :) thanks fang64...

HOWEVER... Linux Arm should be able to run windows programs like this :

qemu + wine... note that does not mean you are runing a VM ... you are running an emulation layer since qemu will operate in user emulation mode launching x86 processes like native processes

Read that... ARM host support is in testing I guess if enough people start testing it will become stable
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/status.html

Note: Testing means that the emulator is working on most of the regression tests, but that some important application fail.

personally I'd only like to run some old windows 95 era games like Math Blaster and the entire Arcade Action CD of games (win 3.1 95) for nostalgia's sake (and yes i have progressed well beyond fractions LOL)

You do have to admit that supporting older windows games and posibly even a few DOS games might be a good idea if the kqemu kernel module can be loaded on the ARM arcetecture then things could get interesting from the x86 standpoint and also LONG LIVE HAIKU!

aaron11193:

well why would you want to want to run ANY emulator on any uber pawnage console at all for that matter?

cb88 said:
You do have to admit that supporting older windows games and posibly even a few DOS games might be a good idea if the kqemu kernel module can be loaded on the ARM arcetecture then things could get interesting from the x86 standpoint and also LONG LIVE HAIKU!
kqemu does virtualisation, when running an x86 virtual machine on an x86 host.

qemu in userspace mode (like used in darwine-ppc and flash-for-ppc-linux) emulates the x86 virtual cpu on the ARM host. Very, very, VERY slowlike. Even emulating an ARM processor for the openmoko on my Athlon 2500+ x86 cpu was quite slow.

If windows apps run at all, they will be much too slow for any proper use.

Sorry, no windows or haiku for for anyone :p

heh it seems that as many people that have worked on emulators here you guys would be more open minded...

Laurent.. that is too bad i had assumed that ARM emulation was still working since there seemed to be people trying to get it compiled in the mailing lists... perhaps someone that knows ARM ans x86 could get it working agian

cb88 said:
Laurent.. that is too bad i had assumed that ARM emulation was still working since there seemed to be people trying to get it compiled in the mailing lists... perhaps someone that knows ARM ans x86 could get it working agian

ARM emulation on x86 still works and it's what most people are interested in.
For ARM host emulation, Fabrice, the author, has changed the code generation interface, and ARM has not been ported to it yet. I am not sure anyone is working on that.

impreziv said:
How possible would it be to hack up a custom build of Windows Mobile 6 to work on the Pandora?
Ask MS for WM6 source and we will help you.

impreziv said:
How possible would it be to hack up a custom build of Windows Mobile 6 to work on the Pandora?
Why, whats so special about WM6?
Instead of asking for the illogical, ask about what features you would like to see.

Laurent said:
impreziv said:

Just download it from MS's website. A lot easier than trying to get them to email it to you.

Squidge said:
Laurent said:
impreziv said:

Just download it from MS's website. A lot easier than trying to get them to email it to you.

Show me where to download it from MS site. All I found where links to some phone makers that propose device specific upgrades. So basically one would have to guess what the HW platform really is and then understand how the portable parts of WM6 deal with that particular hardware.
Oh well I guess one could start downloading the BSP, and the dev env MS proposes. I just wish that person a happy time :p

Kings said:
impreziv said:
Instead of asking for the illogical, ask about what features you would like to see.

i dont really want WM6, just curious. and it would have nothing to do with WM6's own features, but rather the fact that WM6 has a buttload of homebrew, and ported software.

i really dont like windows mobile, its quite useless, but theres alot that can be done with it's software.

the other reason i asked is because there are already a ton of ARM builds of WM6, i have 4 or 5 images on my hdd for use on my WM6 phone.

impreziv said:
i really dont like windows mobile, its quite useless, but theres alot that can be done with it's software.
Thus it isn't useless, its use being to run all the stuff already available for it :p.

impreziv said:
Kings said:
impreziv said:

i dont really want WM6, just curious. and it would have nothing to do with WM6's own features, but rather the fact that WM6 has a buttload of homebrew, and ported software.

the other reason i asked is because there are already a ton of ARM builds of WM6, i have 4 or 5 images on my hdd for use on my WM6 phone.

I see where your coming from. If the Pandora does in fact run a modified(or unmodified) version of Debian than there is a bunch of software that should run almost out of the box. Just take a look at the repository, if it says arm under architecture than there is a good chance it will work.

Debian Packages

Kings said:
I see where your coming from. If the Pandora does in fact run a modified(or unmodified) version of Debian than there is a bunch of software that should run almost out of the box. Just take a look at the repository, if it says arm under architecture than there is a good chance it will work.

Debian Packages

Kinda a bitch to find anything if you can't understand Swedish? or?

Back