Windows Sucks. . . Is Linux Better?

My $.02

I've been using Ubuntu on my desktop machine for almost 2 months, and I love it. Gnome is great, although I haven't got the experience to compare it to the other options.

I'll never go back to windows. I still have to boot windows for some of my games, which I'll have to live with as a PC gamer. But the games that are linux native run great.

I've got Quake IV and NWN, along with a lot of free/open games. I'll be picking up Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Unreal 3 when they come out this year, since both are confirmed for linux.

I also have BFX 2006.2 running on an old Compaq PII 366mhz laptop that my wife uses for school, and she loves it. It's really given the laptop a new lease on life. It was unbearably slow running win98.

Make sure you give Armagetron and Nexuiz a go. They're great fun, especially online.

I also run Ubuntu 6.10 (been using it since April last year on my main PC, before then on others), with Beryl (which means fancy desktop cube effects) and Avant Window Navigator (which is very pretty). I barely ever need to boot into XP, but I have a partition for it anyway. Though it almost seems a waste of 40GB. I don't miss it :p

Back